was wondering if these items are necessary for install with the OS? BB MDS Runtime ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

To need or not to need...?

Advertisement

was wondering if these items are necessary for install with the OS? BB MDS Runtime and DOD Root Certificates. I haven't experienced any problems without them over the last two OS updates but i was just wondering what they are and what they do or if i need them in my phone.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: To need or not to need...?

BlackBerry MDS Services is a set of services on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that handle requests from BlackBerry MDS applications. BlackBerry MDS utilizes standards-based integration methods to manage interactions with enterprise applications and back-end systems, such as, XML Web Services, Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP), and Web Services Description Language (WSDL). This allows software to interact, regardless of programming language, platform, or operating system.
    BlackBerry MDS Studio™ is a visual application design and assembly tool that allows developers to quickly assemble wireless applications using drag and drop functionality.
    BlackBerry MDS Runtime™ is BlackBerry Device Software that provides runtime services for applications developed with BlackBerry MDS Studio.
    From RIM

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Well, unless you log in to U. S. Department of Defense Secure sites you will not need the DOD Root Certificates. I'm not sure about MDS runtime, but it may be related to using a BES connection.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

DOD root certificates are root certificates for the Department of Defense. So i am asumming as long as you are niether undercover CIA,FBI, NSA Etc. or on the BES that they are uneeded. Although i do not know for sure.

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

quick and helpful as usual...thank you fellow stackers...well i've only had the phone for 3 months now...and i've had to do 3 OS upgrades and i never had them in there so i guess things run fine...dont' get error messages or any of that stuff...guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed

braveandcrazy no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_gauge
    DOD root certificates are root certificates for the Department of Defense. So i am asumming as long as you are niether undercover CIA,FBI, NSA Etc. or on the BES that they are uneeded. Although i do not know for sure.
    Not quite, you would need this cert to view any DoD website. That includes all branches of the milarties web pages, Homeland Security, forms, general info and such. If you never visit such sites then you don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clouseau21
    Not quite, you would need this cert to view any DoD website. That includes all branches of the milarties web pages, Homeland Security, forms, general info and such. If you never visit such sites then you don't need them.
    Thanks for the clarification.

PIN/ID
    242E7D27

game, set, match...i only view classified materials from inside my faraday caged home or office...looking at your next assassination target in public on your pearl is toooo risky...could totally blow my cover