Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience. I have a standard ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

putput no está en línea Stack level 1

Tmobile FREE internet. 8100 pearl

Advertisement

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

I have a standard Tmobile plan with NO internet, data, or blackberry plan.
    Yet, I am able to access internet through the BB browser, Gmail, and Gmaps with no problem at all. When using the browser (not tzones), I can view Yahoo mail, Myspace, etc. in wap.

But yet, when I install Opera mini, I get a "failed to connect" error message. And yes, I have tried changing the TCP settings to wap.voicestream.com and pulling the battery with no avail.

Is anyone else out there with no data plan able to connect to the internet like I am? If so, have you been able to load Opera mini?

The phone is a Tmobile handset I got from a friend which had previously been unlocked and used with the BB plan at Tmobile.

Thanks

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Tmobile FREE internet. 8100 pearl

opera mini have options, at the bottom you can select what transport type to use.

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629

Quote Originally Posted by putput View Post
    Hey, just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

I have a standard Tmobile plan with NO internet, data, or blackberry plan.
    Yet, I am able to access internet through the BB browser, Gmail, and Gmaps with no problem at all. When using the browser (not tzones), I can view Yahoo mail, Myspace, etc. in wap.

But yet, when I install Opera mini, I get a "failed to connect" error message. And yes, I have tried changing the TCP settings to wap.voicestream.com and pulling the battery with no avail.

Is anyone else out there with no data plan able to connect to the internet like I am? If so, have you been able to load Opera mini?

The phone is a Tmobile handset I got from a friend which had previously been unlocked and used with the BB plan at Tmobile.

Thanks
    You just said you don't have a data plan? And you are using data? Than you are getting charged pay-per-use with is 1 cent per 1kb. So i would watch out. I have done this before and my bill wasn't small.

Sci-Tek, There are no options for Opera mini. It fails on initialization and the only option I get is "exit".

Many others on this forum are having the same problem and while the TCP settings work for some, if that doesn't work, there appears to be no solution for the rest of us.

mac14x, I'll have to check on that when I get my bill. I wasn't aware you could even get online without a plan.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I would watch your account since you might get a large bill next month. They track everything about your account so be careful.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

I bought a Pearl 8100 last year, and it was unlocked form AT&T. I had to call Customer Service from T-Mobile and they fixed it. It was something on there side, they basically pushed the service books to me. I could do anything with BIS, it wouldn't let me. I suggest calling 611 from your phone and asking for Blackberry CS.

As for not having a dataplan, WATCH OUT!, BIS is only $19.99, I would suggest getting that...also if you don't want BIS, I would go to options/mobile network/ then turn off data, so that you won't have additional charges...say you accidently go online...ect.

BIS with T-Mobile is unlimited data. It is by far the less expensive out of all the carriers.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Yes, be very careful. If charged pay per use charges you could be facing a huge bill like that guy I saw a blog about that got an $80K phone bill for a similar situation.
    Not a good way to start the new year.
    Better to be safe and pay for an unlimited plan.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629

Even if you use like 10mb per month, Its better to pay the 30$ per month for it than pay wayyyyy more than that.

Gbcue no está en línea Stack level 2

It's a T-mobile glitch. They'll find out eventually and just shut you off.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

I imagine you got your unit used and it probably already had all the service books preloaded on the unit. As others said, be very careful about data useage without a data plan. It adds up quick.

Zo

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3

It's not a glitch, it's the way it's supposed to work. The plans simply give you a better price per KB/MB of data since you're agreeing to pay a set amount whether you use all of the data or not.

If you don't want a plan, you can still access data, but you're only charged per KB you actually use - of course at a higher rate.

If you decide you want the data plan, call and have them add one retroactively, most times they'll be happy to do this for you. If you decide it was a mistake, call T-Mobile and tell them you "didn't realize you were downloading data since it wasn't part of your plan" and they'll probably refund you all or a good portion of the amount you owe for the per KB charge.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by putput View Post
    mac14x, I'll have to check on that when I get my bill. I wasn't aware you could even get online without a plan.
    yep, they are correct. You should not be able to use the internet but sometimes it works and is charged per use. This is from the T-mobile website

Data transmissions, including e-mail and Internet surfing, are billed by volume: $0.01 per KB / $10.24 per MB

Quote Originally Posted by JjcampNR View Post
    It's not a glitch, it's the way it's supposed to work. The plans simply give you a better price per KB/MB of data since you're agreeing to pay a set amount whether you use all of the data or not...
    actually, not on BlackBerries... there is no pay-per-use on these. That is for regular cellphones on T-zones.
    That is why T-mobile users could not do MMS until T-mobile introduced the new feature a few months ago to allow MMS without a data plan.
    Last edited by cliffr39; 01-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

Gbcue no está en línea Stack level 2

I wasn't aware T-Mobile had PPU internet. I thought it was all (T-mobile web or BB plan) or nothing (t-zones browser only).

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by Gbcue View Post
    I wasn't aware T-Mobile had PPU internet. I thought it was all (T-mobile web or BB plan) or nothing (t-zones browser only).
    To my knowledge you are correct. I have been retailing T-Mobile since it was Voicestream and they don't officially have a pay-per-use option but doesn't mean that they can't bill someone trying to get around official useage methods.

Zo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast