Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a guide anywhere online that can help me set my phone up so ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rameneater84 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED8315

Tmobile BB Pearl , Tethered Modem

Advertisement

Is there a guide anywhere online that can help me set my phone up so I can use it as a modem for my laptop? Also, do i need the BB unlimited plan to do this? Thanks.

Mr. Belleza no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Lightbulb Re: Tmobile BB Pearl , Tethered Modem

Quote Originally Posted by rameneater84
    Is there a guide anywhere online that can help me set my phone up so I can use it as a modem for my laptop? Also, do i need the BB unlimited plan to do this? Thanks.
    Yes. You absolutely need an Internet Plan to do this. I referenced How-To's from "yellowone" and "hayden" However, I was able to successfully tether my BB Pearl to my laptop using the instructions given by and "zaitsev":

Originally Posted by zaitsev
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel then Phone & Modem Options.
    Click on the Modems tab, select the Standard Modem then click Properties.
    Click on the Advanced tab and enter the following string under Extra Initialization Commands:
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel and then click Network Connections.
    Click Create a new connection and then click Next.
    Select Connect to Internet.
    Select Set up my connection manually.
    Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    Select the modem you created above and then click Next.
    Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.
    Enter *99# as the Phone number and then click Next.
    Keep User name and Password blank. Clear all the other check boxes.
    To create the connection, click Finish.

Then on the Connect screen click Dial

Good luck to ya!
    "Out of Small Things Proceedeth That which is Great."

absoluteevel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C4261

Re: Tmobile BB Pearl , Tethered Modem

And go ahead and set the dialup connection speed to 230,400. Don't go any higher than that because it will be a waste. :-)

rameneater84 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED8315

Sweet thanks alot. One question tho

Click on the Advanced tab and enter the following string under Extra Initialization Commands:
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

On the "IP" i put in my computers IP? and do i need the quotations?

steedtek no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EBDA02

you leave IP as the letters, not an actual IP (at least i left it as IP with cingular and it worked) yes you use quotes

fdecker no está en línea Stack level 1

So, I have a Pearl, T-Mobile, and the $19.99 data plan. If I set my pearl up as described above as a laptop modem, will I be using my plan minutes during the connection or just using the bandwidth as allocated through my data plan?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by fdecker
    So, I have a Pearl, T-Mobile, and the $19.99 data plan. If I set my pearl up as described above as a laptop modem, will I be using my plan minutes during the connection or just using the bandwidth as allocated through my data plan?
    Data.....

calvin413 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24218EA5

how do i accomplish this using Vista Premium? I am having a problem getting the Blackberry Desktop software to work also

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Have you downloaded the latest version from RIM? The one on the CD is not Vista compatible (unless they are shipping the CD's with SP2 edition on them now).

Zo

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

Currently Downloading BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 SP2 (English) to see if this resolves the problem.

sultanfootball no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I tried this on my desktop computer (tower) and I did everything that was posted but everytime I hit dial, it doesn't work and it says error 633: the modem [or other connecting device] is already in use or is not configured properly.

Any advice??

PIN/ID
    24218EA5

Lightbulb Re: Tmobile BB Pearl , Tethered Modem

I installed the newer version w/SP and it actually installed the new Roxio software also! What a bonus!!

To resolve the communication error go to Blackberry Device Manager (it should start when you start the desktop manager) in the lower left corner near time, etc and right-click - then select properties then device connection - highlight the com connection and then configure - make sure the "Enable USB-to-serial compatibility" box is checked and retry.

THis is the procedure that I followed, and was able to establish a connection, however I was still not connected to the Internet!

smomus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248B113c

One thing also that i didn't see mentioned (doesn't mean it wasn't ) and I had to do to get it to work is to go under connections on your DM and change it to the COM port rather than your blackberry. (This will tell you that your BB is disconnected.)
    SMO ;-)

schmunger no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317d7c77

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ additional tricks/hints:

- Disable firewall
    - Disconnect lan cables and telephone line if connected
    - After connection has been created, go to properties, networking tab, ensure that tcp/ip is selected and hit properties again, advance, and turn off 'use ip header'
    - While under the networking tab, make sure that tcp/ip, Client for Microsoft Networks and possibly QoS Packet Scheduler and File and Printer Sharing etc. are listed and checked.
    - Changing the speed of the modem and/or network connection does not have an affect on your connection speed, all based on EDGE, signal strength, and location.
    - Make sure the com port number matches the device that Rim Virtual Serial Port is installed on, usually com4 or 5. Right click on My computer, properties, hardware tab, device manager. Expand the Ports and check there. I have mine installed on both 4 and 5. Go to your phone/modem settings and under modems tab, check the com # that Standard Modem is set to.
    - While in the modems tab, highlight Standard modem and click on properties and run a diagnostic and make sure that it doesn't give you any errors.
    - When DM is opened, right click on bottom right hand corner of window (device manager) and select properties. Place a checkmark to enable it to start every time systems starts. Reboot, and connect without DM running. *Desktop manager does not need to be running to get this to work. DM can be corrupted and may cause device manager not to work.
    - in the initialization string, try adding AT in front of the string +cgdcont...
    - If all fails, uninstall TCP/IP. Do this by going into the command prompt or select run, and type cmd. Type netsh int ip reset all - Enter. Also, don't think it will help but it doesn't hurt to try. In DOS command, type ipconfig/release - Enter, then ipconfig/renew, then ipconfig/registerdns. Reboot and try again.

If you have problems, you can pm or pin me. I should be able to get you connected
    Last edited by schmunger; 08-02-2007 at 12:38 AM.

RemyKirin no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

Follow these instructions, Please Note that this process and these settings are for T-Mobile and Windows XP Users. Also Note that these are meant as a reference and are not a guarantee seeing as T-mobile has changed these settings before. These are confirmed as of August 3, 2007:
    • Install latest version of Desktop Manager
    • go to the control panel on your computer
    • go to Administrative tools
    • go to computer management
    • on the left side click Device manager
    • on the right side click on Ports (Com & LPT)
    • Write down the number on the ports that say Rim Virtual serial Port V2
    • go back to the control Panel
    • go to network connections
    • go to file
    • go to new connection
    • go to connect to the internet
    • click set up connection manually
    • click connect using dial up modem
    • checkmark the box that says Standard modem and has one of the Port Numbers you wrote down earlier
    • Uncheck all others
    • Click next
    • For the ISP Name you can put whatever you like I choose Blackberry
    • Click Next
    For the Phone Number enter the following exactly: *99***1#
    • Click Next
    • Leave Username, Password and Confirm Blank
    • Uncheck Make this the default internet connection, unless you really want to make this your default internet connection.
    • Click Next
    • Checkmark Add a shortcut to this connection on my desktop
    • Click Finish
    • At this point a window should pop up, close this for now.
    • Go back to the Control Panel
    • Click Phone and Modem Options
    • On the top of the window that pops up click the tab that says Modems
    • Click on the modem you used earlier it should be Standard Modem and have the same port number from earlier.
    • Once you have it highlighted go to the bottom and click Properties
    • at the top of the window that opens click on the tab that says Advanced
    • In the Extra initialization Commands box, type in the exactly: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
    • Click OK
    • Go back to thecontrol Panel
    • Next go tothe Network Connections Folder
    • Next Right Click On the New Connection we just made and select Properties
    • On the top on the window that pops up click the tab that says Networking
    • Click the settings button
    • Another window should pop up, Make sure that Enable LCP Extensions is Check marked and make sure that Enable software compression and Negotiate Multi-Link for Single Link Connection are both Un-Checked.
    • Click OK
    • You can close all the windows if you haven’t been closing them already.
    • Open Desktop Manager and connect the Blackberry
    • Look for the Connection shortcut on the Desktop and double click it.
    • At the bottom of the Desktop Manager it should say Connected if it is not go to Options then go to Connection Settings and click connect, it should tell you that it has found it, if it doesn’t you have a separate problem.
    • Once connected to the Desktop Manager click on the shortcut to the connection that we made earlier, it should be on the desktop.
    • Check the box that says Save this Username and password for the following users:
    • Click on Anyone that uses this computer
    • Click Dial. It should dial and connect.

IMPORTANT:
    Reasons for failure to establish the connection to the internet:
    • The desktop manager is closed. The desktop manager MUST be open the whole time you are using the internet!
    • On the Phone APN settings you have ANYTHING there, the APN settings MUST be Blank to establish connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast