Originally Posted by pdxmatts
I do not pay for the H@H for wifi. My phone ... BlackBerry Pearl forum
Yes, but it will use plan minutes.
Originally Posted by pdxmatts
I wish I could pay 20 dollars for unlimited blackberry service, I pay 30, then 20 for unlimited messaging. 50 bucks extra kind of sucks, stupid AT&T.
You mean calling minutes aren't free right? I mostly use wifi for browsing.
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
Actually, the $19.99 plan is an AddOn to the voice minutes. There are 3 other BB data packages. One has no voice ($29.99 Unlimited).
Originally Posted by boomboom
The other 2 packages that have minutes and BIS access:
1) $59.99 Minutes and Mail which gives unlimited BIS access, email, texts and 1000 minutes monthly.
2) $79.99 Minutes and Mail Ultra which gives 1500 Minutes and the same BIS access, email and texting monthly.
I'm going to have to agree with this phone being the ultimate suckage.
1) While scrolling through ringtones that you have made, freshly for the 8120 since it doesn't like "old files" even on a brand new windows formatted, then blackberry formatted - the device will randomly reboot. By ringtones made, they're small 20 second .mp3s that didn't originally come with the device. Some I made, some I downloaded off tuneusin.com - they worked FINE on the 8100. So what I did was, erased them all and popped a few back on. Scrolling through, reboot. Removed 2-3, reboot. Scrolled again, reboot... Erased more, reboot. Now just scrolling through the ones that are ON the berry... REBOOT.
2) Since the software doesnt like folders from old blackberries, picking what files you want and moving them MANUALLY will help you determine which ones the software likes and wont reboot on, and which ones the software will accept. I've heard rumors they didn't like the folders, so I changed and removed folders. Then I heard they didnt like .gif files - No problem, deleted all of those. DELETED EVERYTHING and DOWNLOADED a new wallpaper from mobile41... oh hey, look at that... rebooted.
3) Random reboots. Have I mentioned this? Get a text message, reboot. Wait an hour while it hourglasses. Send a pin message, reboot. Get a call on WiFi? Chat it up 4 seconds.. reboot. Switch to GSM... Reboot.
Oh and don't try to wipe and reinstall - there's no point. Even with a full wipe, no memory card, nothing 3rd party and no new toys installed... reboot! The bugs continue, the list goes on.
The device is lovely, but lets talk about that menu and escape key shall we? One giant key. Don't attempt to pop out the trackball like you can on the 8100, because that one key will not go in right and could quite possibly fudge your entire warranty. Just ask the guy next to me who popped it out to explore the LED option by manually coloring them and oh, low and behold, warranty voided anyway because that little button is so super sensitive it cracked in half with next to no force whatsoever.
Not a happy camper....
Last edited by Terra; 04-23-2008 at 04:19 AM.
I guess Im lucky and hope I dont curse it but. I just came from the Tmo Shadow. Had 3 one broken and two um. Damaged I love the 8120. Never had it reboot and no issues to speak of at all. Just works. The Shadow running windows was really buggy,
Last edited by JMac24; 04-23-2008 at 04:24 PM.
I guess not actually owning an 8120 I can't speak to the reboots you speak of, but if my device was rebooting that much I would take it back to your service provider and have it replaced under the one year manufacture warranty.
Yeah Terra, that really sounds like a defective phone! After I reformatted my card, I was able to move absolutely everything (except folders) back onto the card and my phone has not rebooted once since then. Something is definitely wrong with yours.
I know that you tried the wipe, did you reinstall the os, sounds like you have a bad os... Or a bad phone....
~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
That sounds like a defective phone as everyone else has said. If you are still within the 14 day grace period, exchange it for a new unit. I went thru 3 8100's last year (January's 8100 was replaced in April which was replaced in August).
Originally Posted by Terra
The one I am replacing the 8120 with is slow as a snail. I have deleted almost everything except stock themes, PinStack Launcher and IRC chat, Yahoo, Google Talk, BibleReader, astros.com, FaceBook, Handango InHand, MiniMoni, Opera Mini, SoftReset, WeatherEye, Circle Popper, SameColors, Spider Solitaire, and Trooper Typing, leaving me with 23MB free and the thing still shows the hourglass throughout the day.
I use the Memory Cleaner and ALT + L G L G, and still have hourglass problems.
Regardless of the laggy performance I just described, this Pearl (#3) has been the only one of the 3 that has gone more than 4 months without crashing (probably because I used another phone intermittently).
I'm just waiting to find out how much faster (and more durable) the new one will be.
It's most unfortunate for me I don't have the option of a normal exchange. As an employee, we have to pay full price for each and every one of them - broken or no. I could wait and order another in 30 days, but not for the full price we have to pay. It would be insane, and with the issues I wouldn't be mean enough to hock it on eBay.
However, I did manage to fix most of the issue. The device has issues similar to the CDMA version's memory dumping, but the rebooting stopped. I tried a memory card other than the PNY and it seems to hold a little steady. The device still reboots, so I recommend not trying to scroll through ringtones when setting them if you have more than 20 on the memory card. It seems to flip out and not like you if you do that..
But at least it stopped rebooting as much as it was. Thank for that.
Doesn't RIM offer a warranty for the phone?? Perhaps I'm being naive, but I can't imagine that there is no recourse when you purchase a defective electronic device for this amount of money! (Even $10.00 electronic items have a 30 day manufacturer's warranty)
That is BS for whatever company you work for to require you to pay full price a 2nd time because the item you paid full price for the first time is defective!
Doesnt it also annoy anybody that the pearl 8120 has a pushed in trackball? i kind of prefer the one on the 8100 that stands out more. It would dig deeper into my finger but it was good.
Also when texting, when you create a word and the
Tags for this Thread