Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 The G-Mail application from Google should be what you're looking for. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ikonz no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    The G-Mail application from Google should be what you're looking for.
    No, it's not. That app requires the data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    My guess is that this is a first time for both of you with a BB, and with a SureType device. Buggy these phones are not. The Blackberry OS is the most stable Mobile OS in the industry right now.

The phone does not "come with" a pop3 email app because its designed to be used with the Blackberry Internet Service to push email directly to you. If you choose not to use this feature, the Gmail mobile email app is what you're looking for.

I'd suggest working through the learning curve that is associated with the SureType keyboard. Once you're through it, you'll be amazed at how good these phones are.

If you don't have the patience, I would suggest exchanging for a Curve or a different phone all together.
    Actually this is not my first black berry. I have had two iphones. They are way worse then the pearl. Ive had 2 curves. Don't get me started on how crappy that phone is. Iv'e had four blackberry pearl 8100's. That thing is nice but the usability and lack of features and unstable OS makes me wanna throw it form the top floor of the sears tower and I would have done so had no one bought it from me. Now I have a pearl 8120 and its definately a step up from the pearl 8100 and the curve. I do not know how equivalent the curve and 8120 will be when the new curve OS is out but as of this day they both suck but the 8120 is ahead. For the price, I do admit this is probably the best phone you can get. I just dont see how rim could have left out so many features. For example have your friend send you a voice note or a video. Theres no sound. You have to open the voice note, save it, go to media and play it from there.

Sometimes my camera opens up and the camera menu is replaces with the home screen icons. the top 5mm of the page are also changed to what you'd see if you were in home screen. Overall its pretty good but im the type of tech guy that pays attention to all aspects of a device and it is true that there is no perfect device for anyone. With an OS update this phone can definately be much better and to the person that wrote, "this phone has limited wifi usability," is 100% correct. This phones wifi is practically useles.

The screen is small so it puts you into column view which messes up the whole web page. You can zoom out and view the full page but imagine what its like viewing the full www.yahoo.com homepage on a 240x260 (or something liek that) screen.

There are no tabs.

Opera is a no go.

Email is a no go.

Applications that are tied in with the itnernet, such as stock, email, web, IM are all useless with this phones wifi. (on the pearl 8100 Instant messages are counted as SMS messages, the 8120 uses data for Instant messages)

All of these tgings i just mentioned could be used with wifi(on a computer), but they arent.
    If anyone wants to know why? Becuase otherwise everyone would buy a blackberry, tmobile would use lots of money on all those data plans. I imagine their profits would drop by like 25%. Why would they want that. It's a monopoly.

Theres a couple more things about this phone that are annoying. The battery cover doesnt stay on tight enough i can feel it is loose when i use the phone.

When you go to phone book and click on a persons name to see all the info you have about that contact it shows it in a nice way, but then go ahead and hit menu>edit. Nothing happens. Why the hell do you have an edit feature for then? No idea, maybe one of the devolopers got drunk before reviewing the source code.

Also the track ball is sooooo loose on this phone. I wont be suprised if during the summer or around august time they will come out with 8120 color pearls and just like the 8100's; will have a modified track ball. It will sit tighter.

There is a bunch of stuff about this phone that needs a fix but for a typical person this phone should be more then good enough. it seems like RIM rushed the production of it, but they haven't. Thats mainly why I'm disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by gritsinct View Post
    Not sure what you're looking for but the 8120 does have pop3 email capability, you just have to add the email account through your BIS, or download something like Gmail. I get pop3 mail accounts pushed to my phone via BIS - comes over Wi-Fi when I have it turned on. I guess I've been lucky because I haven't experienced any problems (other than figuring out how to handle a SD card formatted in another phone and that wasn't a defect or problem with the phone).

Edit to add: mudshovel: I have video recording on my 8120 - is that what you are asking? And the memory card issue is due to the card being formatted in a BB with an older OS. If you put in a new memory card, there are no problems whatsoever! And if you put in a card that's already been used, you just have to reformat with the 8120 and don't bring over folders created in the older OS and you will also be problem free! :-)
    You have a data plan then. Email does not come to your phone through Wi-fi. When you are connected to wifi your phone uses UMA, its just a better faster radio reception. Still uses data plan. Not wifi. What it should use is wifi because A. you pay for wifi service at your home and B. thats what wifi is for so why shoudl you have to pay an ADDITIONAL $20 to use it.

pumpkin24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have had the curve and I now have the 8120 and I love it!! Only bad thing right now is that it sometimes reboots while I'm on a call, but T-Mobile says they are working on a fix for that..

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    IKONZ, You have to set up your email by going to the set up email icon and detect your device, and then send service books to your phone. Then go to options/advanced option/host routing table then hit menu and choose register now. That should get your emails to work (that is for bis) Also, that is assuming you have a BB email plan or unlimited data plan.

danger872 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2401D9F3
    Get a curve if your lookin to be satisfied with the blackberry.....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I do not pay for the H@H for wifi. My phone detected my wireless router at home and I fly on wifi UMA while browsing without oaying the $20.00 fee

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    E-mail no go on a blackberry? lol. That is the best feature of a blackberry, you should just get a data plan or go back to a nonsmart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    IKONZ, You have to set up your email by going to the set up email icon and detect your device, and then send service books to your phone. Then go to options/advanced option/host routing table then hit menu and choose register now. That should get your emails to work (that is for bis) Also, that is assuming you have a BB email plan or unlimited data plan.
    You just proved my point. Why should i pay $20 for a data plan for email whne that stuff should work over wifi. FOR FREE.

Some people need their email right away but I'm almost always where there is a wifi connection. I have to go to www.gmail.com. this is one thing that makes the iphone great. It is almost the opposite of the blackberry. Everythign works over wifi. No data plan is required. You jsut go into topns add you yahoo, gmail, msn, aol, and etc and it will download all the mail onto your phone when your near a wifi connection. A blackberry cannot do that without using the browser andgoing to the mail page. And that is time consuming.
    Last edited by ikonz; 04-22-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Hmmm, sounds like you won't be keeping your 8120 either. I don't understand why you have bought so many BB's if your not happy with any of them. Sorry you are disapointed with it.

I didnt buy so many.

I first got the curve, sucked, got another one. Traded in for pearl 8100, got the extra money i paid back returned to me. it was $250 for curve and $150 for pearl so i got $100 back. Then i replace dthe pearl 3 times. Then i got an iphone, then i got another one. And now the 8120 came out so all i had to pay was $50 cause i already paid $150 and this is $200 with the $50 mail in rebate so i paid $50 extra and like $18 to renew the contract. The $50 will be returned so i paid only $18 to upgrade from pearl 8100 to 8120.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

The reason the data plan is needed is because the browser and email need to communicate with the RIM servers which is different from other phones. WiFi only allows for faster, better browsing, stronger signal and free calling with the hotspot at home feature. It does not replace the need for a data plan as I understand it.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I would say you were much happier with your iphone, so that may be the phone you should go with, although personally I have had 2 iphones and have my own issues with the iphone that are much worse than any blackberry I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by Naylor07 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I would say you were much happier with your iphone, so that may be the phone you should go with, although personally I have had 2 iphones and have my own issues with the iphone that are much worse than any blackberry I have used.
    The iphone issues overpass the crackberry issues.

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired
    And you are on Tmobile, which is only $20 for the service. Email is the best feature of the blackberry, why get a blackberry if you don't have data? If you don't like it, get a razr, treo or something else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast