ok im hearing a lot about this OS thing and im not totally sure what ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lizm233 no está en línea Stack level 2

this OS thing...

Advertisement

ok im hearing a lot about this OS thing and im not totally sure what it is exactly.. haha you can tell im new at this.. but is it like an upgrade? and how do i know if i have it or not?

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Hi lizm233,

OS means operating system, it's the programing the phone uses sorta like Windows XP or Mac OSX would be for a computer.

My own personal rule of thumb is:
    If it's not broken don't fix it. Unless the newer os upgrade has some feature that you need or unless the newer os has some fix for an issue you currently have i vote to leave it alone.

hope this helps? Only my $0.02

edit* i forgot?

options/about on your phone will give you the o.s. info.

mrp21 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi,
    I've downloaded the 8100M_PBr4[1].2.0_rel79_PL2.2.0.39_A4.2.0.67_Telefonica_ES.exe from the blackberry site. I run the .exe fle - but then how does that update the blackberry?
    I'm trying to work this out as i have a number of annoying problems like autotext keeps coming up even though i disabled it in the settings and phone keeps going into standby - hoping the new OS will sort it

aggiephoenix no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204B3B00
    awesome ... now that u have installed the file on the comp ... connect the bb to the comp using usb and open bb destop manager ... the software will take care of everything for u from now on like a charm !! ... enjoy !

PIN:204B3B00

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrp21
    Hi,
    I've downloaded the 8100M_PBr4[1].2.0_rel79_PL2.2.0.39_A4.2.0.67_Telefonica_ES.exe from the blackberry site. I run the .exe fle - but then how does that update the blackberry?
    I'm trying to work this out as i have a number of annoying problems like autotext keeps coming up even though i disabled it in the settings and phone keeps going into standby - hoping the new OS will sort it
    If telefonica is not your provider you need to do a search on your PC after installing the OS for "vendor.xml" and delete it.

Then Connect your BB to the PC , start DM and it should prompt you to update.

The newest OS is from Cingular:
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=Rc4cZBaBN

What if I'm on a UK network - Orange? How do I find the downloads? Sorry to be a pest - I'm new to Blackberrys but Pinstacks helpin!

Gar-williams no está en línea Stack level 3
    What if I'm on a UK network - Orange? How do I find the downloads? Sorry to be a pest - I'm new to Blackberrys but Pinstacks helpin!
    You can get it from any of the other carrier sites - the software is written by RIM and the carriers just release the same versions when they are happy with it - or whatever! I did the Telefonica es one do a search on telefonica in PinStack and you should find it). They will ask you for info about who you are etc and then give a stern sounding warning at the end... I just hit the spacebar in each field and then used an email address I keep for sites tht might send me spam - no problems. Remember when you have installed it to your PC to find and delete the Vendor.xml file - if you don't then update using Desktop Manager won't start.

BTW: if you can, ditch Orange soonest.... my wife has a Pearl on Orange, and to say that they are unhelpful is a huget understatement

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    If telefonica is not your provider you need to do a search on your PC after installing the OS for "vendor.xml" and delete it.

Then Connect your BB to the PC , start DM and it should prompt you to update.

The newest OS is from Cingular:
    https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareD...ient=Rc4cZBaBN
    DFC - is this the same version as the Telefonica one? If it's newer, do you know what the differences are?

thanks gar-williams im in the process of loading the new software so fingers crossed i can get this thing sorted. But I'm now wondering - what problems has your wife had with the Pearl? I want to stay with Orange but also want the Pearl

thanks gar-williams im in the process of loading the new software so fingers crossed i can get this thing sorted. But I'm now wondering - what problems has your wife had with the Pearl? I want to stay with Orange but also want the Pearl
    Orange - from what I can gather - have only just recently started providing the BB service direct to non-business users - previously you had to have a business account with an approved Orange business reseller. Main issues though are:

• They do not provide the Pearl yet and will refuse to support it. They refused to provide me with the service books for the BB browser because of this, saying that they just cannot do it because they don't support the Pearl etc etc. Not a major big deal, I suppose.
    • I wanted to add the data service for BB to my wife's account. Because I didn't get the handset from them, 6 different people at Orange told me no way because again, surprise surprise, they didn't support the handset. After well over an hour on hold at various points, I managed to get speaking with one of the techies who eventually agreed to let me upgrade the account.
    • My biggest gripe, and especially when compared with Vodafone, is that their customer service is appalling. Often you are on hold for an eternity; then when you do get a human on the other end, you are invariably passed from one to another, each time with a significant time on hold. With Vodafone, everything is pretty much instant and rarely a problem.
    Maybe you have a much better experience with Orange, but put it this way, we've just switched all of our corporate account phones back to Vodafone after a painful year with Orange.

How'd the OS upgrade go, BTW

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I would like to add that if you change your OS for another carriers then yours, you're doing it at you own risk 'cause your carrier have the right to void the warranty if you used another OS they didn't support

Not to be a funbreaker but if your OS is working well you souldn't play with it unless you're an advanced BB user...

Hope this helps

Luc
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

Quote Originally Posted by sn1p3r
    I would like to add that if you change your OS for another carriers then yours, you're doing it at you own risk 'cause your carrier have the right to void the warranty if you used another OS they didn't support

Not to be a funbreaker but if your OS is working well you souldn't play with it unless you're an advanced BB user...

Hope this helps

Luc
    Wise words