Do they have support groups for this thing? I mean, I'm ignoring cigarettes to talk ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

GPeterson82 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    uhh?

Question This is addicting isn't it? Q's RE: Maps/GPS

Advertisement

Do they have support groups for this thing? I mean, I'm ignoring cigarettes to talk about BB's. I'm a little worried.

Ok, really though the question -

GPS - do i need to get an external receiver to use it with the Pearl? Anyone using any of the GPS services? Opinions?

Thanks -

GP

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: This is addicting isn't it? Q's RE: Maps/GPS

Yes, you need an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to use GPS with the pearl.

Zo.

miyoshiboy no está en línea Stack level 1

However, even if you don't have the external receiver, I have found that if you download google maps for the BB it is almost as good, especially since you can get the sat. hybrid function. I got the BB specifically because I drive alot and want maps on demand. It is like flying VFR. If you can find a landmark, you don't need GPS that badly...or at least that's me...

Jockobasi no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by miyoshiboy
    However, even if you don't have the external receiver, I have found that if you download google maps for the BB it is almost as good, especially since you can get the sat. hybrid function. I got the BB specifically because I drive alot and want maps on demand. It is like flying VFR. If you can find a landmark, you don't need GPS that badly...or at least that's me...
    Did you have to pay for the sat. hybrid func or does that come with Google Maps?

miyoshiboy no está en línea Stack level 1

Just go to google maps, follow the directions for mobiles, and you can download google maps OTA on your Pearl. It is free. When using the map, you have choices. You can see just street names, a sat. image, or a hybrid of both. If you are completely unfamiliar with a city, as in you just flew in that morning, a GPS from the car rental place may be the way to go. However, if you are living in Atlanta, for example, and become roughly familiar with landmarks, the Google Maps function in Hybrid mode helps you to see water towers, airports, etc. that help you to navigate better. And again, free, and no internal GPS function required...just a little old fashioned land navigation.