Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I'm a Sprint employee and customer and I'm on an employee plan and I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

JohnnyJB04 no está en línea Stack level 2

Thinking about switching carriers for the Pearl

Advertisement

So I'm a Sprint employee and customer and I'm on an employee plan and I talked my way into getting my BB data plan for $15 a month. Since I'm on the employee plan, my bill usually comes out to about $65 a month and that is including 3000 anytime minutes, 1000 night and weekend, unlimited text, insurance and of course the data plan.

I currently have a BB 7130e but I've been thinking about getting the Pearl for quite some time now. I've been checking sites like phonescoop every day, hoping that there will be an announcement of a Pearl coming to Sprint -- but it still hasn't happened and I don't think it ever will.

I think if Sprint ever got another BB it would be the 8800 model but I don't really like the size of it and that's why I've been debating on switching to Cingular for the pearl. I would switch to T-Mobile but the coverage in my area isn't so hot.

So, my question is, do you all think I should switch to Cingular and pay about $20-$30 more on my plan for the Pearl? The main reason why I was able to get the data plan for so cheap with Sprint is because I've been a customer for over five years and because I'm on the employee plan, but I won't have that kind of leverage with Cingular. Are there any secrets on getting the personal data plan for a cheaper price?

My co-workers think I'm crazy for wanting to switch carriers for a phone. But I guess you can say that I'm a cell phone freak and once I get hooked on something, I do whatever I can to get it. What do you all think?

I also won't have to pay an early termination fee for getting out of my employee plan, however, once I get off of it, I can't get back on it.

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Re: Thinking about switching carriers for the Pearl

It seems like its only the phone which is going to make the difference. We don't need to sell you the BB or suretype, since you already have the 7130e. Have you gone and played with a pearl at one of the stores? If you really love the pearl and its that more enticing for you over the 7130e, go for it! Just know, that $20/$30 a month for 1 or 2 years adds up real quick...

Quote Originally Posted by dwagman
    It seems like its only the phone which is going to make the difference. We don't need to sell you the BB or suretype, since you already have the 7130e. Have you gone and played with a pearl at one of the stores? If you really love the pearl and its that more enticing for you over the 7130e, go for it! Just know, that $20/$30 a month for 1 or 2 years adds up real quick...

Thanks for your input. I have been thinking about getting a Pearl ever since December and yes, I have played around with it in stores and even with customers coming to the store looking for car chargers for it. There are just things that I wish my 7130e included that I never really thought I'd miss like the camera and even the media stuff like mp3s and videos. And I also love the size of the Pearl.

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

The camera and media features are really nice, and thats why before I had the pearl I had a tmo 7290 and a verizon LG 8100, I loved the mp3/camera features of my old LG and didn't want to be stuck with a device without those features. Make the switch if you dont mind the higher price, its probably worth it.

So are there any tips on trying to get the data plan for a cheaper price?

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You might want to wait and are if/when the new 83xx comes out for sprint. I hear rumors that it'll release this summer to compete with the iphone but I don't know which carriers will have it. Check the forums here on the 8300 for more info.

Jockobasi no está en línea Stack level 2

Is it possible for you to get the phone from t-mobile or cingular and get it unlocked? Then you can keep your current plan with sprint and have your pearl also. Thats what I did and my bb works great.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

The Pearl is a GSM device and Sprint-Nextel is a CDMA/iDEN network. The Pearl will not work.

So far, I'm leaning towards just making the switch. I have been thinking about switching to Cingular ever since the Pearl was released and then when Apple annouced that Cingular would be the provider for the iPhone, it made me want to switch even more.

Sprint just never gets any of the good phones and I'm tired of seeing new versions of old phones being released through Sprint. For example, Sanyo 2300 then Sanyo 2400 (which was discontinued almost immediately) and now there's the Sanyo 3100 which will be followed up by the Sanyo 3200. It's kind of like they're the old people who want everything to stay the same when it comes to phones. Yes, they did get the RAZR and SLVR but it took them how long to get it? 2-3 years? I'm just tired of Sprint's boring phones and I think I'm ready for something new.

Cingular has always had better looking phones and that's a huge selling point for me. I want a company who continues to move forward with newer technology. Sprint hasn't even been able to come up with a competitor for the slider phones! Yes, they had two slider phones in the past, one by Samsung and one by LG but the Samsung was thicker than my 7130e and I don't even have to say anything about that LG one.

Jockobasi no está en línea Stack level 2

Oh well I guess your back is really against the wall huh?... Well Im sure you will make the right decision and join the Pearl family..

MichaelScott no está en línea Stack level 1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~get the pearl. It rules. I'm amazed at what this little thing can do.

rdc2000 no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm now switching away from Cingular to T-Mobile. Primarily because the Blackberry plan and family texting plans are much cheaper. If you do a lot of texting or want to send pictures, that will drive your price up on Cingular fast. Shopping for phones for T-Mobile was a drag though. Other than the Pearl we didn't love anything. Cingular has the upper hand there.

Now for me, politics entered in as well. AT&T is/was at the center of the warrantless wiretap scandal. Same with Verizon. Sprint supposedly has not let the government monitor their data without a warrant. T-Mobile I'm not so sure about. But it's a sad state of affairs when I give more of a benefit of the doubt to a German company than the American one. In the end, for me, best plan and phone combo will decide who I do business with, but it feels good to tell AT&T where to go...
    Last edited by rdc2000; 03-13-2007 at 06:44 PM.

I thought about just going to T-Mobile but the coverage where I'm at is a bit iffy and I don't want to have to deal with that.

doophus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E29EB7

I know that the coverage in our area is not the best. It has gotten a lot better since we signed up with tmobile though. Also I have noticed that after giving up my moto that I get a lot better service. I don't know if the BB has more antani or just a better antana but it get service in places I had given up on.

So now my question is which company has better broadband coverage for their phones? Sprint has a pretty decent EVDO coverage area but which one is better between Cingular and TMO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast