Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overall I absolutely love my pearl, but being a little nit-picky, there are also a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

feandro no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Things I wish my pearl would do (and maybe could?)

Advertisement

Overall I absolutely love my pearl, but being a little nit-picky, there are also a couple of little tweaks that would make me love it even more. I'm posting them in hopes that someone can point me either to a setting that I haven't been able to find, or else a program I can install, which will allow me to do what I want. =)

Without further ado, here's the list, in no particular order:

- I wish my address book would wrap-around scroll . . . that is, if I reach the bottom of the alphabet, and keep scrolling down, I'd like it to jump back up to the top, instead of requiring me to scroll back up to the top.

- I wish that when dialing from the home-screen, I could dial the first few numbers of the person I want to dial, and have it bring up their info . . . it does this if I begin to type their name, but not their number.

- I wish I could configure my ringer profile so that first it would vibrate, then it would ring and vibe simultaneously (not one after the other).

- I wish that either the "compose" function would default to sending a text (instead of calling . . . whose idea was that?), or that there was a "text" function, so that I could pair it with one of the side buttons, push that button and just have it ask me who I wanted to send the text to.

- I wish the calendar could have different colors for different appointments, so that adjacent appointments would not look like one long appointment.

- Uhm, this one's kind of weird, but I was thinking about how there are two kinds of caller ID . . . one uses your address book to identify the caller. But on land-lines, which don't have an address book, if you have caller ID you can still see who is calling. Is that possible on a cell phone? It might be nice to know who is calling even if I don't have the number in my address book.

- I know there are a couple of others, but that's all I can think of right now. I'll add more if I remember.
    Last edited by feandro; 01-26-2008 at 01:56 AM.

jniowa no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Things I wish my pearl would do (and maybe could?)

I totally agree with your 4th and 5th statemenst. I have an 8703e but I'm switching to the Pearl. Anyway before I updated my 8703e to the 4.2 software I could simply hit "c" when in my messages and it would compose a text. After the update that function was lost and I was afraid it would be absent on the Pearl. I also feel that the calendar should be color coded, it would help with organization! The caller ID thing I think would be a very good idea as well and I'm sure very simple to do. Sorry I couldn't help, great post.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by feandro View Post
    Overall I absolutely love my pearl, but being a little nit-picky, there are also a couple of little tweaks that would make me love it even more. I'm posting them in hopes that someone can point me either to a setting that I haven't been able to find, or else a program I can install, which will allow me to do what I want. =)

Without further ado, here's the list, in no particular order:

- I wish my address book would wrap-around scroll . . . that is, if I reach the bottom of the alphabet, and keep scrolling down, I'd like it to jump back up to the top, instead of requiring me to scroll back up to the top.

- I wish that when dialing from the home-screen, I could dial the first few numbers of the person I want to dial, and have it bring up their info . . . it does this if I begin to type their name, but not their number.

- I wish I could configure my ringer profile so that first it would vibrate, then it would ring and vibe simultaneously (not one after the other).

- I wish that either the "compose" function would default to sending a text (instead of calling . . . whose idea was that?), or that there was a "text" function, so that I could pair it with one of the side buttons, push that button and just have it ask me who I wanted to send the text to.

- I wish the calendar could have different colors for different appointments, so that adjacent appointments would not look like one long appointment.

- Uhm, this one's kind of weird, but I was thinking about how there are two kinds of caller ID . . . one uses your address book to identify the caller. But on land-lines, which don't have an address book, if you have caller ID you can still see who is calling. Is that possible on a cell phone? It might be nice to know who is calling even if I don't have the number in my address book.

- I know there are a couple of others, but that's all I can think of right now. I'll add more if I remember.
    1. You know you can just type some letters to get to the person you need. I know I have way too many contacts just to scroll through them all.

2. Dialing from the homescreen I would rather have the name since i never ever remember numbers. Names are much easier.

3. Agreed

4. about the COMPOSE icon...it will do the last thing you did with the contact you select.

If it has never been selected with the compose then it will default on calling the contact. So just write an SMS to the contact and then use the compose the next time and it will default to SMS

5. 3rd party app is coming for this PI from webis

6. You know you have space to input home numbers too. I don't think the name will show up if it's not in your addy book. I screen all my calls with GrandCentral and Youmail.

Thanks! Can you point me in the right direction for the 3rd party app that will allow different colors on the calendar?

With Compose, if it does the last action done, doesn't that mean that even if I text someone, if I then call that person, compose will go back to calling? So I'd have to remember if I called or texted them last to know if it would do what I want?

Also, I just remembered another one . . . . is there a way to record a phone conversation as an mp3?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

1. The Calendar application isn't out yet...I've been waiting for it for a while

2. I don't think it will default to calling ever again since compose has nothing to do with writing anything.

3. There is no RIM application for this, there maybe a third party application though.

BusyME no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31C7A695

Quote Originally Posted by feandro View Post
    I am SO with you on this one!

wlanboy no está en línea Stack level 1

Just one little thing:
    Working with my bluetooth-keyboard ...

Does anyone have a cheap working bluetooth-keyboard for 8100's ?

atownlatino05 no está en línea Stack level 1

nope

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

I also would love an option to color code your calendar. Anybody know of any?
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

It would also be great if the pearl had wifi. Maybe . . . is there a bluetooth or usb wifi card that could be connected to the pearl to allow it to connect to a wifi network (ie at a coffee shop, etc)?

fenrisswolf no está en línea Stack level 1

Hmmm... You've heard of the 8120, right?

theuprightman24 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by wendycharles View Post
    I also would love an option to color code your calendar. Anybody know of any?

The 8120 allows you to have different calendars for different emails, each email has a different color.

jevid no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by theuprightman24 View Post
    The 8120 allows you to have different calendars for different emails, each email has a different color.
    The 8130 does this as well. I think what the OP was asking about was having different types of appointments within any one calendar colored in different ways. When I had WinMo, I used Agenda One. It allowed you to have different icons for different types of events so you could tell at a glance what type's of events you had in any one day. I think this is what the OP was asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jevid View Post
    The 8130 does this as well. I think what the OP was asking about was having different types of appointments within any one calendar colored in different ways. When I had WinMo, I used Agenda One. It allowed you to have different icons for different types of events so you could tell at a glance what type's of events you had in any one day. I think this is what the OP was asking about.
    Exactly right, thanks for clarifying.

I also just thought of another small annoyance that would be great to have a patch or easy fix to. It kind of bothers me that when I dial a number or have an incoming call, it displays as just one long string of numbers. I'd like to have some spaces or dashes or something in there so it reads more like a typical phone number. Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisswolf View Post
    Hmmm... You've heard of the 8120, right?
    Heh, actually I'm pretty new to the world of Blackberry, so I wasn't aware of that one. Looks awesome, but . . . is it available for T-mobile? I don't see it anywhere on their web page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast