Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have seen many people, mostly Members new to the Pearl, installing the Rogers or ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanfrancisco no está en línea Stacker

Lightbulb There is no T-Mobile OS Update, Rogers is NOT a T-Mo Upgrade

Advertisement

I have seen many people, mostly Members new to the Pearl, installing the Rogers or Vodafone operating system on their T-Mo phones, erroneously thinking that those OS's are "upgrades" or "updates" to the T-MO OS.

Perhaps a better name for those operating systems is "alternative" OS's because that is what they are.

For those of you rushing out to find and install the Rogers or Vodafone operating system on to your T-Mobile phone, be aware that those two OS's are simply different operating systems supplied to those carrier's customers [Rogers in Canada, Vodafone in Europe].

MOST IMPORTANT, THOSE OS'S ARE NOT UPGRADES NOR UPDATES FROM T-MOBILE. So you should stop thinking of them as such.

The Rogers' OS gets rid of certain bugs [trackball ringer issue] and adds certain features [supposedly 2GB MicroSD support].

But Rogers also has some bugs [status light stays on] and takes away certain T-Mo features [option to turn auto-dim off].

IMHO before you install the Rogers or Vodafone OS you should take a look around the Boards to learn the benefits and detriment to keeping your T-Mo OS intact or installing the Rogers or Vodafone versions. Only then can you make an informed decision on which way to go.

For example, I have auto-dim set to "off" on my phone. I don't like the Pearl dimming the screen whenever it sees fit. Losing the option to turn off auto-dim is a deal breaker in terms of installing another OS. But that is just my preference.

Other Members will swear the Rogers OS is better than T-Mo's, but that is just a matter of opinion and their preference.

It's a minefield out there when tinkering with alternative operating systems, be careful.
    Last edited by sanfrancisco; 10-22-2006 at 01:20 PM.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Re: There is no T-Mobile OS Update, Rogers is NOT an Upgrade

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Here ye, here ye! I loaded the O2 OS and the auto dim not being able to disable is a royal pain!

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

I was actually a little confused as to this new update "spring fever"

thanks!

By the way, in the event you want to go back to the T-Mo OS, you hae to "wipe" the phone [from the menu on the Pearl] and then reinstall the T-Mo OS.

Make sure you back up your data before wiping the phone. And on restoring of the data, I'd do a selective restore of just the contacts, etc.

I would NOT restore the programs that were set up on the Rogers or Vodafone OS. Simply reinstall the applications and programs from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by ericugs
    I was actually a little confused as to this new update "spring fever"

thanks!
    You are welcome. Reason for my post is because I saw new Members wondering about a supposed "upgrade" or "update" and their wasting time going to T-Mo to look for it.

Then they would find it elsewhere, install it, then come back here to complain about new OS bugs, then wonder about going back to the old OS.

Lots of confusion because people started to refer to Rogers and Vodafone as updates.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5

Quote Originally Posted by sanfrancisco
    Lot's of confusion because people started to refer to Rogers and Vodafone as updates.
    I thought it was 02 Not vodafone :P

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    I thought it was 02 Not vodafone :P
    People were "hacking" the Vodafone OS and posting on some sites for FTP download:

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/Pay-Month...0Pearl-632.htm

http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/10/vodafone_offers.html

http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/09/o2_offers_black.html

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

I think everyone started referring to them as upgrades is because if you do decide to install the OS on your phone, the desktop manager itself says "upgrade" I believe. I'm not 100% sure, but I know when I uninstalled the Rogers os and went back to Tmobile it specifically stated "downgrade" when installing.

Quote Originally Posted by absolved
    I think everyone started referring to them as upgrades is because if you do decide to install the OS on your phone, the desktop manager itself says "upgrade" I believe. I'm not 100% sure, but I know when I uninstalled the Rogers os and went back to Tmobile it specifically stated "downgrade" when installing.
    It did not say "downgrade." Did it?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I have done this also before and it does say "downgrade"

I believe they are updates/upgrades its just that the carrier decides which version to release.

At least that's the way it seems that's, why the # goes up as in 4.2.0.42 to 4.2.0.64

But you are correct they are not T-Mo upgrades Just Upgrades from RIM trying to adjust some bugs heard of with the initial release, before releasing to another carrier

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ the vodaphone offers suretype dictionaries for multiple language support. To me that is an upgrade. Lol. Good post and thanks for pointing it out. Otherwise some loonira will start blaming tmo when their non tmo os has problems. Anyone know if the vodaphone os supports larger micro sd cards?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I would imagine that all OS from Rogers and up will have the 2GB support.

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I have done this also before and it does say "downgrade"

I believe they are updates/upgrades its just that the carrier decides which version to release.

At least that's the way it seems that's, why the # goes up as in 4.2.0.42 to 4.2.0.64

But you are correct they are not T-Mo upgrades Just Upgrades from RIM trying to adjust some bugs heard of with the initial release, before releasing to another carrier
    Oh, I get it, the device is merely saying "downgrade" in reference to the version numbers. Interesting.

And yeah, the unofficial word is that RIM is tweaking things [or fixing] with release of the OS to subsequent carriers.

My point is that T-Mo Members are being led down the path, so to speak, when thinking that the Rogers, et al. OS systems are T-Mo updates.

The whole thing is goofy IMHO. For example, did RIM intentionally delete the option to turn auto-dim off? If they did, what was the logic behind that? Or did they not have a choice because to fix the trackball ringer issue on an emergency basis, they did not have time to program the auto-dim feature back into the device.

And even worse, what if they negligently failed to notice that in tweaking and fixing the OS that the auto-dim to off feature disappeared.

I guess one could check the Rogers owner's manual to see if it mentions auto-dim. If it does not, then the change was intentional.

I digress, forgive me.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I wonder if it was an accident to remove the ability to turn off auto dim also...

The technology isn't perfect(auto dim) so for a lot of us its annoying.

Auto-Dim Option Removed On Rogers Appears To Be A BUG

I downloaded the Rogers Pearl User's Manual. The manual says how to turn off the auto-dim feature.

So, since the Rogers OS on the Pearl does NOT have this option, it appears that RIM's OS to Rogers has at least one confirmed bug.

There are others, but just thought I'd point this one out since I brought up the subject in my earlier post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast