Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi everybody. I just joined this forum hoping that someone out there can answer this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3

The Pearl on Cingular

Advertisement

Hi everybody. I just joined this forum hoping that someone out there can answer this question for me- I'm VERY interested in getting the Blackberry Pearl. I'm on the Cingular network and am not that interested in switching to T-Mobile to get it. I'm thinking about buying an unlocked one so I can use it on Cingular. Has anyone here done this? And if so, did you encounter any problems? I'd really appreciate any feedback on this subject! Thanks.

-Kendrick

williamlc21 no está en línea Stack Lead

Re: The Pearl on Cingular

Yes, many people have done this and most with no problems.
    "I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best." -Fast Eddie Felson(The Hustler)

daveg4828 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23e988a5

Kendrick

The pearl works great on Cingular, been using mine for about 2 weeks now.

I bought mine at a T-Mobile 3rd party reseller (car toys) and then had t-mobile unlock it. The process is pretty simple and only took about 24 hrs. After you buy the phone at full retail ($349) call t-mobile customer care and tell them you paid full retail price for it and want it unlocked. They will then generate a case number and have you fax a bunch of other info to their unlock department and usually within 24 hrs they will e-mail you a unlock code.

Dave

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4

Just wait a few more weeks or a bit more and Cingular should be releasing the Pearl.

jcz2preciosa no está en línea Stack level 1

While unlocking phones may be the easier solution it also sometimes causes issues since the phone is not programmed for the cingular network
    The pearl is supposed to come out within the next month for cingular so I would suggest just waiting
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jcz2preciosa no está en línea Stack level 1
    While unlocking phones may be the easier solution it also sometimes causes issues since the phone is not programmed for the cingular network
    The pearl is supposed to come out within the next month for cingular so I would suggest just waiting
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

bwgregg no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C26A9

I bought an unlocked pearl on eBay and it works great. I didn't have to do anything but put my cingular SIM card in. So far the only feature that doesn't work is the MMS because Cingular doesn't support it. You can wait for Cingular's official version if you want but I'd seen enough instances where Cingular kept saying a phone was just about to be released only to keep delaying it because of their "high standards of quality control."

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Hi Kendrick and Welcome!

The rumor mill has the Pearl coming out in Nov from Cingular. At this point I would wait and get it from them. While an unlocked Pearl will work, If you have troubles, Cingular will probably give you problems with support.

HyperM3 no está en línea Stack level 3

AFAIK being a T-Mo store owner, I was told we have exclusivity on the Pearl til December. But again, you know how that goes.

Alex

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

That could be, You know how rumors go, I have heard everything from Nov to Feb for Cingular release. November seems to be the prevailing theory now, but that could just be wishful thinking! LOL

option94 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Cingular's pearl will also support push to talk.

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

does anybody with cingular actually get the push-to-talk service?

Everyone I know that wants/needs push-to-talk go with Nextel. But at least ehyr are trying to offer an alternative. Has verizon's push to talk ever caught on?

As for an unlocked pearl, i'd actually wait until Cingular comes out, since then there would be a drop in prices for unlocked t-mo pearls.

dj forge no está en línea Stack level 1

I unlocked a pearl and have been running it on cingular with no problem. The only thing that doesn't work is IM clients (unless someone knows how to make it work). MMS works for me, just had to configure the proper APN settings and haven't had a problem since then.

So, does anyone know how to to get the IM clients to function properly?

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3

Thanks everybody for the help. We'll see how it goes.

bob99smith no está en línea Stack level 1

Did you tell Cingular your PIN on your unlocked Pearl?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast