Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

I hate to be annoying. Thanks to this thread I have amazed friends and passers-by ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hpmcdonald no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: The Original: Video encoding for the 8100

Advertisement

I hate to be annoying. Thanks to this thread I have amazed friends and passers-by with "Friends" and "The Simpsons" etc on my Pearl. I can play full length movies on it as well, but anything with a wide screen aspect (16:9) is distorted (Squashed).

I love the ease of the BB Video Generator. The picture and sound is great as long as the aspect ratio fits in the screen. I've managed to get wide screen video through the Super C program, but the picture and sound quality is very bad.

Does anyone know the settings on Super C that would produce wide screen (letterboxed) picture with the quality that I get through the BB Video Generator? I am sorry to keep beating this same drum (or it it a dead horse).

mattinlondon no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: The Original: Video encoding for the 8100

hi there - i am beginner
    this download does not work with a apple mac does it?
    i downloaded it and it would not open
    OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

question 2 if you have the time.
    to play videos on the 8100?
    i dragged and dropped them into the video file - but they do not show up when i disconnect the phone from the computer.
    thoughts? anyone?
    thanks

siudar no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi.

although I can encode movies etc for my Blackberry Pearl the image is just too small for it to be useable for a long period of time. Half of the screen real estate remains unused due to video player overlays and black bars above/below vid.

What I am looking for is a way to rotate the video and fill the screen - that would make this device a very good portable video player capable of competing with iPod video.

Has anyone come across such software? Would probably require someone to write a new video player application for the Pearl me thinks.

Regards
    Last edited by siudar; 12-06-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Langen no está en línea Stack level 2

As far as I know there's nothing out yet, but I'm with you, I can't wait, as far as I'm concerned an application like that easily doubles the worth of the Pearl.

That and a decent set of headphones would make this thing soo nice for work.

knottybitz no está en línea Stack level 1

I've spent a number of hours playing with this. Here's what I've found:

1. When using SUPER C, UNcheck the "Stretch It." That will code your video so that it is letterboxed: The correct aspect ratio, filling screen horizontally with black bars top and bottom

2. The best, most reliable format (in SUPER C): "Apple iPod", using MPEG-4 video and AAC audio encoding. This will give you an MP4 file (container), which is equivalent to M4v. The video should work in your iPod, too. ;-)

2a. DON'T use AVC/H.264, even though that is preferred by the iPod. It isn't supported by Pearl's player. Use plain old MPEG-4, with AAC audio.

3. The Pearl seems to have a built in function that will automatically downsize a 320x240 video to its native 240x180 screen area. Larger than 320x240 gets chopped. Smaller than 320x240 leaves black bars all around. So 320x240 is the way to go. That resolution also happens to work best with the iPod.

4. I've been unable to get a movie longer than about 1 hour to work on the Pearl. I'm not sure whether its an issue of filesize (>140MB) or movie length (>1:01). Still working on this.

5. BE sure to keep the same frame rate as the original -- or cut it in exactly half. Treat 24 and 23.97 as the same.

UPDATE:

(See 4) I am now convinced that there is a 1 hour (approx.) limitation on each video, probably having to do with the Pearl's built-in player. Maybe they thought you'd be doing nothing but TV shows.

So, if you are encoding a DivX movie that's already in two parts (each part under 1 hr), you are okay. Otherwise you need to break the movie down into 1-hr or less sections.

SUPER C has a function under "Other Opts" to encode "only the first n seconds," or, "Do not encode the first n seconds"). That gives you a way to break your longer movies down. Note: Using 4000 secs in that option will give you 1:01 and 10 secs. (The math doesn't work out, but trust me that what you'll get.) The Pearl will accept that size movie clip.
    Last edited by knottybitz; 12-06-2006 at 05:23 PM.

knottybitz no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by hpmcdonald
    ~via BB
    I have reviewed all the posts on this thread and still haven't found an answer to my previous question.

Does anyone know the settings on the Super program that matches the video and sound quality of the BB video generator, but allows for wide screen (16:9 aspect ratio) movies to show wide screen (similar to the letterboxing on TV's when I play the movies there).
    As I said in my post above: If you encode your movies at 320x240, they will automatically be scaled down to the Pearl's native screen. If you UN-check the "Stretch It" option in SUPER C, the movie will be letterboxed in that 320x240 virtual window (which will be scaled down to a 240x180 real window).

I'd suggest a minimum of 192K video, 48K audio. If sound quality is important to your taste, bump it to 96K audio. More is unnecessary:AAC at 96K is equivalent to MP3 at 128K. Also consider using half the framerate (12 instead of 24, or 15 instead of 30), because it puts less of a load on your phone and results in fewer stutters.

Quote Originally Posted by knottybitz

4. I've been unable to get a movie longer than about 1 hour to work on the Pearl. I'm not sure whether its an issue of filesize (>140MB) or movie length (>1:01). Still working on this.

UPDATE:

(See 4) I am now convinced that there is a 1 hour (approx.) limitation on each video, probably having to do with the Pearl's built-in player. Maybe they thought you'd be doing nothing but TV shows.
    I have King Kong (3hrs - 402mb) working fine on my BB Pearl. Converted using BB Video Generator.

benjr63 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Shuluke
    Hey guys i have ran into an interesting problem. I have been reading up on this article and I just ordered 2 512 MB sticks for 8 bucks. Anyway, as i was trying to test it using my sisters 32 MB card, when i put the phone in mass mode, I can stick a clip in the movie folder, but when i open up my media icon and then video icon, i dont see the movie. All i can see is up and preloaded media.. i looked everywhere for it and i couldnt seem to access the movie folder. But when i open the bb using the software given to me on cd, i clicked on the media manager and add a folder which i call movie. I can see the folder if i do a search while in the video folder it shows it. Anyone have any ideas to help me put my files in the mass mode folder and have my phone recognise it? Thanks!

Shuluke
    the BB8100 automaticly crestes folders...
    /blackberry/music
    or
    /blackberry/videos

try the full menu buttn and choose explore then look on the mediacard...

RogerS no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by siudar
    I have King Kong (3hrs - 402mb) working fine on my BB Pearl. Converted using BB Video Generator.
    Siudar, I'm having the same problem as knottybitz. Any file I've created for the BB which is greater than 1hr does not load. I've tried Xilisoft, SimpleDivx, Super and MEncoder at the command line - all with the same result. They work great on the PC (any size file) or on the BB Pearl if < 1hr. > 1hr does not work.

I believe BB Video Generator just used mencoder behind the scenes. Any idea what settings it might be using?

Thanks!

e30cabrio no está en línea Stack level 1

I read and appreciate all the amazing input in this thread. I am waiting for my micro sd card (accidentally bought a mini which is now in my nikon with teh included sd adaptor (2gb=668 pictures @6mp) oops.

I converted a small file to play with and uploaded it to the photo folder (ringtones did not make sense) and I can't see in the media area of the Pearl.

I created a video folder and don't see that either. This lead me to want to delete the Pearl video as it's 2.5mb and the darn thing is protected. So I'd like to know how to up videos/delete the rim video & while I am asking multiple questions how do I get rid of the max file size restriction?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerS
    Siudar, I'm having the same problem as knottybitz. Any file I've created for the BB which is greater than 1hr does not load. I've tried Xilisoft, SimpleDivx, Super and MEncoder at the command line - all with the same result. They work great on the PC (any size file) or on the BB Pearl if < 1hr. > 1hr does not work.

I believe BB Video Generator just used mencoder behind the scenes. Any idea what settings it might be using?

Thanks!
    Hi,

not sure, when I look at the file properties using explorer it shows:

Width 240
    Height 180

Duration: 2:59:37
    Bit Rate: 64kps
    Audio Format: MPEG Layer-3

Frame Rate: 25 framse/second
    Data Rate: 37kbps

AnewBerryMan no está en línea Stack level 2

Okay, this might be a dumb question to ask.
    what do I do after everything I did on the first page? How do I get the video in my phone? how do I setup Mass storage mode? transfer the video file through the blackberry media manager software? if so, in my media manager I only have the Ringtone and picture folder. They're the only two folder I can transfer files too or do I transfer the file into my microcard through my pc card slot and insert my microcard to the phone and play it from their? I am so lost..please help me!!! thank you so much!

AntMoAOAK no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have never been able to watch videos on my Pearl without it cutting out after 3 or so minutes. I also have no controls. Then the unit freezes up. I get my videos from my TiVo. They are converted to MP4. (for PSP). I REALLY want to watch videos on this unit. I tried the above encoding but kept receiveing error message. This is unit is kick *** other wise. Any suggestions ?

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by AntMoAOAK
    I have never been able to watch videos on my Pearl without it cutting out after 3 or so minutes. I also have no controls. Then the unit freezes up. I get my videos from my TiVo. They are converted to MP4. (for PSP). I REALLY want to watch videos on this unit. I tried the above encoding but kept receiveing error message. This is unit is kick *** other wise. Any suggestions ?
    If you convert like them as per the Instructions in the first post in this thread you will have controls and it will play all the way through.

shortydoo no está en línea Stack level 1
    ok im having a problem...i had success with super before...i encoded 3 or 4 videos for my pearl. i had to reload windows and was forced to redownload everything including super. now whenever i try to encode the progress bar moves really rapidly and it says an error has occured. Click to read more. i dont understand why its not working

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast