This is a pretty exhaustive site. Nice job to those who maintain it. I have ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gbillings no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    301603FD

The ongoing saga of multimedia email attachments?

Advertisement

This is a pretty exhaustive site. Nice job to those who maintain it.

I have been searching / scanning the various forumns/threads and can't find exactly what I am looking for so I am posting a new thread.

Using a Pearl from Rogers (Canada), ver. 4.2.0.51. Like others, I am trying to play .wav attachments in an email. I know there are reasons for it, but RIM is hanging on to text based email.... drives me crazy.

I got a runbox.com account because my office won't deal with spam (if you are a webclient user, you need a runbox account). I mention this because I can use the WAP interface to browse my inbox and play the .wav file on the Pearl using the built-in media player. While that's great, I don't want to go through the hassle of logging into my runbox account (i can't use a scripted login and being a qwerty user at heart, it's aggrivating logging in using the pearl's keyboard).

So, is there a hack to get the .wav extension associated with the media player or is this a play by the DoD to keep RIM email text based forever?

Maybe there is a 3rd party media application that can take over the attachment? Just a guess....

As this is my first post/thread, a little about me:

Have used a PDA since 95'
    Used to work for HP
    Have used just about everything when it comes to mobile data devices
    Upgrade/switch device every 4-6 months
    First PDA was a Palm Pilot III

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: The ongoing saga of multimedia email attachments?

Welcome to Pinstack!
    I honestly do not know the answer to this. I wanted to bump it up for ya so that someone will be able to answer it for you.

PIN/ID
    301603FD

So..... nobody has stayed up all night trying to get this to work?

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

I use Mobile Gmail to view HTML emails. Its far from perfect but way better than the built in.

PIN/ID
    301603FD

Where are the third party developers to fill in the gap here? Is coding for BB's so restrictive that any hacks/addon's cant be done or what?

I know the device can play .wav files, I/we just need to have the application extension adjusted in the email application to recognize / call the media player.

Seems stupid that I can't save the attachment to my MicroSD card....

boomboom no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    retired

Hey, welcome to pinstack. Is this your first BB (BlackBerry)?

You just posted this 19hours ago, I suggest patience. Somebody who is a 3rd party developer or even somebody from RIM will come on a chime in

I wanted to add that the problem mentioned at the top of this thread plus the very limited file types supported by the media player/Pearl are one of my only complaints about the Pearl.

Seems like so many file types that are supported in amost every other phone, even free ones, the Pearl cant play.

PIN/ID
    301603FD

To answer a previous post, the pearl is not my first blackberry. I had a 950, 6250 (monochrome version of the 7290), 7290 and now the pearl.

I know that Rim has issues with HTML email in general, don't know exactly why. Drives me crazy that it HTML cannot be enabled or disabled on the 8700 and 8100 devices.

I have used Palm and PocketPC devices for about as long as I have had Rim devices. Third party support is more exhaustive in the Palm world - but then again, maybe that's why the Treo 600 and up are all prone to reseting. Personally I think it's the OS itself is so full of bandaid fixes that it's worse than Windows ME.... but I digress.

I don't do any content creation on blackberry, the screen of any PDA is just way to small for me. I know that if you install an Office document editor on the BB that it takes over the extensions from the defualt OS viewer. Seems that this could be done for .wav files as well.

C'mon RIM - put this in the next OS release.

I have a feeling the email application is not hackable and that's the reason why nobody has attempted a workaround. Given the collective knowledge of Pinstack, I am hoping there is an answer somewhere.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

There has been some discussion over the past couple of years about RIM attempting to integrate this. It mainly centered around it being tested on a version of BES for VoiceMail wav files, but I haven't heard much about it lately.

Maybe there just wasn't enough interest in the main target audience. I'm thinking it has more to do with market econimies than with technical capabities.

Let me ask a question, How much would you be willing to pay for an addon Application that integrated wav attachements to your BB messages?

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

I would gladly pay more for HTML email and the ability to play wav, 3gp and wmv that just about every other cell can play.

People pay $20-$50 for IM programs, $200 for eoffice and $5-30 for games, etc....

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Anything someone can think of that they want their device to do has either been thought of, tried, or is in the process of being developed.

The Pearl is RIM's first attempt at the "consumer market".

Not even the 8800 is going to have the abilities that you are asking about, but give it time. RIM's main purpose for so many years was business, not consumer. But now they are finally opening up to the consumers, but they are still stuck in the "corporate" mindset.

With future 4.2 Operating Systems (and above), there is going to be much more that can be done on these phones, as there are many development companies that are already working on this.

It's not that the OS is so secure you can't hack it or do workarounds on it, its that it takes time, and most of the companies that provide 3rd party applications for these devices are creating devices for WinMobile devices also, and as we know, its obviously 2 different operating systems.

Then you have indepenedent 3rd party developers or whatever you want to call them, who have the know how and have the skill, but simply lack the time and motiviation to do so. Therefore rather than developing an application to release to the masses that is bug free, they are simply happy with what they created for their own personal use.

I hope this makes sense, because its still early and my brain isn't functioning properly.

Anyways, just be patient. You may not see things you want in the Pearl. Maybe not even the 8800...But when the 9k series drops, RIM should be at the top of their consumer game and if speculation is correct, the 9k will be the device of all devices.

N8

PIN/ID
    301603FD

So the OS is not as locked down as I think.... Hmmm, interesting. I have given thought to learning how to program for RIM but frankly, I haven't needed to.

I currently pay $50/year to runbox.com to filter spam from my company email address. I'd be willing to spend somewhere between $50 - $100 for a utility or add-on that would allow me to listen to .wav files directly from the email client on the device - in a real pinch I can login to my webmail and listen tothe .wav file from the website on the pearl. So, it's not that the device can't do it, it just doesn't know how to connect the dots. If the web client did the same thing runbox did, I'd pay $50 to RIM or my wireless carrier or to whomever; heck I would be happy to eat another $25 - $50 per year on top of what I already pay.

I don't know what the percentage of users is, but, if you look at the total number of devices, how many are attached to a server? I bet the number of BES devices vs. Webclient is pretty close. Maybe not, I'm just throwing a dart.

Why would you need to worry about BES for a .wav file? Storage capacity on the BES? I have never worked with BES so I have no idea what function it plays other than being a gateway.

The nut of the issue is that I need the email client to call the media player for .wav attachment. I know the media player, in it's current state, can play the file.

Is there a configuration file on the RIM device or on the PC that it sync's with that can be modified to make the email client aware of a file type as it can with other attachments?