Is there any possible way to make the text message more than 160 characters that's ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jayjay7411 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3189BF5E

Text Messaging on 8130!

Advertisement

Is there any possible way to make the text message more than 160 characters that's just not long enough who would make it so short!!??

relotnek no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    318F735F
    ...that's the SMS limit, what more do you want, any more than that and you should just write an email

kfischer009 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I see where you're coming from jayjay, a lot of other phones will allow you to insert more than 160 characters. Does anyone know if all BB models have the 160 limit or do others break the message into multiple messages?

jayjay7411 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3189BF5E
    Yeah not cool

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kfischer009 View Post
    I see where you're coming from jayjay, a lot of other phones will allow you to insert more than 160 characters. Does anyone know if all BB models have the 160 limit or do others break the message into multiple messages?
    Sorry but that is incorrect. Some other phones just break the message up into seperate messages, and additional fees. SMS is limited to 160 characters. Hence the name "Short Message Service". This is a quote from Wikipedia found here under message size:

The maximum single text message size is either 160 7-bit characters, 140 8-bit characters, or 70 16-bit characters.

The article can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_message_service

shawn4247 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a question couldn't u just send a longer txt message using mms instead I have never tried it but its a thought

I tried it I sent a 300 character txt mess from my pearl to my razr it worked

You could, assuming the other party receiving the MMS can actually receive it. Not all carriers allow MMS.

Yeah that the one thing that I started wandering about not all people may be able to receive mms

dvst8ion no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn4247 View Post
    I have a question couldn't u just send a longer txt message using mms instead I have never tried it but its a thought

Yes you can do that if the other persons phone supports mms. Then you will get 1000 characters.The per message cost of an mms is higher as well for this reason.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn4247 View Post
    Yeah that the one thing that I started wandering about not all people may be able to receive mms

The number 1 reason a phone may not get mms is if the person you are messaging dosn't have a camera phone. A camera is the standard at which phones are made that can support multi-media messages! Hope this helps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service

MMS-enabled mobile phones enable subscribers to compose and send messages with one or more multimedia parts. Multimedia parts may include text, images, audio and video. These content types should conform to the MMS Standards. For example your phone can send an MPEG-4 video in AVI format, but the other party who is receiving the MMS may not be able to interpret it. To avoid this, all mobiles should follow the standards defined by OMA. Mobile phones with built-in or attached cameras, or with built-in MP3 players are very likely to also have an MMS messaging client—a software program that interacts with the mobile subscriber to compose, address, send, receive, and view MMS messages.
    Once you go Black(berry) you'll never go back!!!

Rbowen no está en línea Stack level 1

More Characters

There are carriers that offer more than 160 characters. T-mobile offers 450 characters, but if the phone I am sending the message to only has 160 the message might not be delivered and if it is, it will be split into multiple messages.
    There are Java applications that can be downloaded that will expand your current phones capability to 400 characters, but the same issue as above applies, how many characters will the recipient 's phone accept?

Quote Originally Posted by Rbowen View Post
    There are carriers that offer more than 160 characters. T-mobile offers 450 characters, but if the phone I am sending the message to only has 160 the message might not be delivered and if it is, it will be split into multiple messages.
    There are Java applications that can be downloaded that will expand your current phones capability to 400 characters, but the same issue as above applies, how many characters will the recipient 's phone accept?
    I don't see how other carriers will be able to side step the technology? As I stated above, it is NOT a carrier/BB choice to limit to 160 characters, but the technology itself. Other carriers do have the ability to split the message which makes it look like you are sending more characters but it is actually splitting the message into multiple 160 character messages. That's why the recipient gets multiple messages from you, and you get multiple charges on your bill.