I have a Blackberry Pearl that is on Tmobile. I tether my BB to my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Setnev no está en línea Stack level 1

Tethering Problems Internet Disappears but can still ping

Advertisement

I have a Blackberry Pearl that is on Tmobile. I tether my BB to my computer to get internet service as i live in an area where i cannot get DSL or Cable. Its a faster, better, and cheaper alternative to dial-up. My internet works great, or has been for a while now with my new laptop running Vista.

Here is the problem that i have been having recently. I recently started downloading a linux distro via torrent and am downloading it at night when i do not need my phone for calls, etc. The problem hasnt happened until recently. I have the BB unlimited data plan so i know that i am not running into a cap, but a few days ago, i was downloading and it went fine all night and when i got up i paused the download and disconnected. I did this for a couple days now, as the download is 3gb. Last night i reconnected to my phone and it started downloading normally. I went to bed but i awoke last night about 3 hours after i put it on to download the connection was connected, i could ping google from command prompt, but my download was stopped and i could not surf the internet from any browser and i could not surf the internet on the blackberry after i disconnected from the computer until i did a soft reset, aka battery pull. It happened twice last night before i gave up on it but i dont know how long it took the connection to halt. Any ideas. My internet works fine regardless after i soft reset my phone. I checked with tmobile and my plan is truly unlimited. Also i cannot recieve PIN messages or emails and non of my internet dependent apps connect until after i soft reset. Any ideas whats wrong? Phone details below.

T-Mobile Blackberry Pearl 8100
    OS Version 4.5.0.81
    Unlimited Blackberry Data Plan

Also i want to add that i would like to know if at all possible to forward ports through the blackberry modem. I cannot figure out how. I have a friend who uses a Verizon card and he has open connections when using torrents but when downloading my linux prog, i cannot my incoming connections to go to green and i know that forwarding ports allows incoming connections. Any ideas?

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    My first reply was obviously lost -- I have never had to log in when replying from my BB before! But if this turns out to be a duplicate post, sorry.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I can offer a solution to your problem.

Trying to dl a large torrent file can be frustrating enough on our cable connection.
    Send or pin me the torrent link, and I'll try your dl. Once I have the whole file, you can pin me your snailmail addr, and I'll mail you the dvd...

Thanks for the offer of help. I ended up pausing the download and downloaded it the other day when i went to a t-mobile hotspot. My phone hasn't disconnected from the internet recently since the other day which makes me think that it was the service provider but it still makes me wonder though if was a problem with my phone or service.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by Setnev View Post
    I have a Blackberry Pearl that is on Tmobile. I tether my BB to my computer to get internet service as i live in an area where i cannot get DSL or Cable. Its a faster, better, and cheaper alternative to dial-up. My internet works great, or has been for a while now with my new laptop running Vista.

Here is the problem that i have been having recently. I recently started downloading a linux distro via torrent and am downloading it at night when i do not need my phone for calls, etc. The problem hasnt happened until recently. I have the BB unlimited data plan so i know that i am not running into a cap, but a few days ago, i was downloading and it went fine all night and when i got up i paused the download and disconnected. I did this for a couple days now, as the download is 3gb. Last night i reconnected to my phone and it started downloading normally. I went to bed but i awoke last night about 3 hours after i put it on to download the connection was connected, i could ping google from command prompt, but my download was stopped and i could not surf the internet from any browser and i could not surf the internet on the blackberry after i disconnected from the computer until i did a soft reset, aka battery pull. It happened twice last night before i gave up on it but i dont know how long it took the connection to halt. Any ideas. My internet works fine regardless after i soft reset my phone. I checked with tmobile and my plan is truly unlimited. Also i cannot recieve PIN messages or emails and non of my internet dependent apps connect until after i soft reset. Any ideas whats wrong? Phone details below.

T-Mobile Blackberry Pearl 8100
    OS Version 4.5.0.81
    Unlimited Blackberry Data Plan

This does happen on and off, for various reasons (I have written extensively in anpther thread about tethering). In short, there were times my connection was good for days on end, 72 hrs and even more (and I completed a couple of bitTorrent downloads) and other times when the connection would fail after a few hours, sometimes repeatedly. Rebooting the PC and battery-pull-resetting the BB would bring the connection back.

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by Setnev View Post
    Also i want to add that i would like to know if at all possible to forward ports through the blackberry modem. I cannot figure out how. I have a friend who uses a Verizon card and he has open connections when using torrents but when downloading my linux prog, i cannot my incoming connections to go to green and i know that forwarding ports allows incoming connections. Any ideas?

I was using a P2P client (with my BB as a tethered modem) and did try port-forwarding but it did not work -- luckily my client still operated, losing only some not too important functionality. Maybe the ISP's http caching is to blame.