I use my phone for internet access at home and it has become terrible. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum
I use my phone for internet access at home and it has become terrible. I have the latest t-mobile us version .107. It losses internet connection all the time. At first I though it was signal strength (I'm out in the boonies). I then connected it in town were I have full bars. I get allot of errors when I look at the network status. I would like to try downgrading versions. Does anyone know where I can get version .104?
I used to tether my 8100 a lot. I had a similar problem for awhile and I think it was a conflict with another program running in the background and accessing the internet. Have you tried soft resetting before connecting? That fixed mine. Had to do it quite often before upgrading to 4.5.
Don't mean to deviate but has anyone gone to a speedtest site while tethered? Like Speakeasy or something. Just curious what kind of U/L & D/L rates the BB is capable of. I've never delved into tethering.
~via BB: 8100: Red (wap.pinstack.com)~
I have upgraded to version 4.6 still problems tethering. I think this phone is about due for an upgrade.
I tether all the time (e.g. that's how I am connected right now) and have noticed the following:
1) Yes, as you too noted, Status shows a high number of errors (currently: 61 MB received, 1175 errors -- whereas, 55 MB sent, 0 errors). I haven't researched this because it doesn't seem to affect network apps behavior.
2) The nominal connection speed is 115 kbps, i.e. 14.4 kBps, and I do seem to get close to that most of the time.
3) It may be a good idea once the connection is established to start using it right away; it is conceivable that connections appearing to be idle get dropped. In this respect, better than a browser is a continuous-traffic P2P client.
4) Sometimes a connection stays up even for days on end; other times it goes down, on occasion several times a day. Maybe a (rare) T-Mobile outage, or a glitch dropping you from EDGE to edge or GSM or so. Sometimes it is the DNS server that cannot be found. Or, after sustained usage, operations become sluggish... possibly a mix of PC Memory Management problems, Firefox memory leaks, BlackBerry problems... or whatever.
The most practical fix attempt is the obvious one: reboot the PC and in parallel do a BB battery pull (rather than spending time with PC Diagnostics/Repair).
5) Attempting direct use of the BB (e.g. BB Messenger) more often than not results in jostling the USB cable and losing the connection.
Last edited by gkast1; 09-06-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Update: It's been one week since I wrote the above, I've been tethering all the time, and I've only had the connection drop twice -- due to a spontaneous reboot of the BB... possibly related to T-Mobile updates.
The nominal high error rate continues -- today, 387MB received, 8181 errors. But as always it does not affect actual operations.
Tags for this Thread