So...from what I have read up to this point, it looks like this issue has ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

phuz no está en línea Stack level 2

Tethering Issues on 8100 (AT&T)

Advertisement

So...from what I have read up to this point, it looks like this issue has been beaten to death, bandaged & brought back to life, and shot in the neck.

Well, I'm bringing a new one up, because it seems like everyone has some deviation from the original question with this issue.

I have AT&T/Cingular and I DO NOT have a data plan, but every now and then I will want to use the tethering option (Yes I will be charged per Kb used; BTW, what is the exact rate for this?)

I put the initialization string into my "Standard Modem" options for the 8100 modem. I have desktop manager open. I dial *99# without a user/password, and within a few seconds it says "Verifying Username and Password" and stays at that for close to 60 seconds and then hangs up with an error.

ma077146 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3019F3E6
    Phuz, it sounds like from what you're saying that you don't have a data plan of any kind. Does that mean you can't browse websites? If that's the case, you don't have anyway of connecting the Berry as a modem.

I would liken it to having a telephone installed in your home, but not having phone service. Even though you'd be willing to pay on a per minute basis for your calls, you don't have the service you need to make the calls.

phuz no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ma077146 View Post
    Phuz, it sounds like from what you're saying that you don't have a data plan of any kind. Does that mean you can't browse websites? If that's the case, you don't have anyway of connecting the Berry as a modem.

I would liken it to having a telephone installed in your home, but not having phone service. Even though you'd be willing to pay on a per minute basis for your calls, you don't have the service you need to make the calls.
    Well, I can't believe I actually got it to connect. Not sure what I did differently from before, but it connected at 115k.

I don't have a data plan, so by default, AT&T locked out my MMS and MediaNET, but I did the firmware hack and brought those back to life, so I have internet, but I will probably be billed by KB usage since I'm without a plan.