what is it? i'm looking at data plans and would like to know what my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

talisa321 no está en línea Stack level 2

tethering?

Advertisement

what is it? i'm looking at data plans and would like to know what my best and cost effective option would be. i would like to check and receive emails and browse the internet with no limitations. this will be for personal use and dont want the enterprise crap:-) any suggestions? i'm on cingular/at&t. thanks.

smomus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248B113c

Re: tethering?

Tethering is when you access the internet on your pc through your BB. If you plan to do this I recommend the unlimited plan
    ~via my BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Nuclear Power no está en línea Stack level 1

Good Day.

I had unlimited data access (AT&T) on my Pearl for 29.99, allowing me to endlessly surf the net. I wanted to tether my PC and AT&T customer service said I needed to bump up my plan to 59.99 (no texting included - 69.99 for texting). Customer service walked me through making a dial up connection through my PC and I'm cruising now. Top speed is 115.2 Kbps.

It is costing me 30.00 more a month to tether my PC to my Pearl. I was thinking that I could use any number of dial-up service providers and tether my PC through my Pearl for less money. The customer service agent told me that I have to go through AT&T to tether my PC through the Pearl, which sounds like BS, butI'm not sweating it right now.

The customer service agent was talking about 3G and Edge. I think he said that the Pearl's modem is limited to 115.2 Kbps. He said that I can get a USB Aircard 875U and surf on 3G, where availiable, at up to 3 times the speed of Edge, which sounds appealing. He said that I could swap my SIMM card between my Pearl to the Aircard 875U. It appears to me that I am paying to use the SIMM card, whichever device it happens to be in (Pearl, Aircard 875U, etc.).

Nuclear Power

smomus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248B113c

Holy smokes for unlimited all access on Tmo it costs me $19.99!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

thanks!. so data access is surfing the internet and checking emails on the blackberry? i know..i'm a first time blackberry user/owner...lol.

thanks. what is the name of that plan on at&t?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Power
    Good Day.

I had unlimited data access (AT&T) on my Pearl for 29.99, allowing me to endlessly surf the net. I wanted to tether my PC and AT&T customer service said I needed to bump up my plan to 59.99 (no texting included - 69.99 for texting). Customer service walked me through making a dial up connection through my PC and I'm cruising now. Top speed is 115.2 Kbps.

It is costing me 30.00 more a month to tether my PC to my Pearl. I was thinking that I could use any number of dial-up service providers and tether my PC through my Pearl for less money. The customer service agent told me that I have to go through AT&T to tether my PC through the Pearl, which sounds like BS, butI'm not sweating it right now.

The customer service agent was talking about 3G and Edge. I think he said that the Pearl's modem is limited to 115.2 Kbps. He said that I can get a USB Aircard 875U and surf on 3G, where availiable, at up to 3 times the speed of Edge, which sounds appealing. He said that I could swap my SIMM card between my Pearl to the Aircard 875U. It appears to me that I am paying to use the SIMM card, whichever device it happens to be in (Pearl, Aircard 875U, etc.).

Nuclear Power

hockeynut no está en línea Stack level 1

I have an 8310 and I didn't know that tethering cost EXTRA! On Sprint, I could tether my Treo 600 for no extra cost. Its another $15 on top of my Blackberry plan on ATTWS for tethering...not worth it to me as I wouldn't use it that much.
    SteveH
    Austin TX

DragonNote no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    242777ec

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Any 8310 users tethering on Vista? Can you explain to me how to go about setting it up?

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I have performed my own personal tethering tests and my results were as followed.

I hooked up my phone to my laptop. I surfed just fine. I spent a good 20-30 mins tethering. I looked at my online account and the next day it showed "pay per use data". I waited and then again a few days later I tethered again. I watched the "PPU" go up. I called and played dumb asking what and where are these charges coming from. NOBODY at ATT could find out what was going on. So I waited till I got the bill. NO EXTRA CHARGES on my account. I waited a month and tried it again and the same thing. NO extra charges on my account.

Now this is my experience with tethering. I will use it in emergency situations but as far I can tell, you can use it and not get charged. If you do and get charged, I am in no way responsible :-)
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

PIN/ID
    242777ec

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ That's cool rabbie but I would like to know the steps in getting it to work in vista.

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

I was using Vista. I downloaded the program and worked like a charm. I didn't do anything special on my end.

::edit::

I got it from this link. http://www.wireless.att.com/business...op/support.jsp

V6.3 is what I have.

I installed and ran using admin rights and that was it.
    Last edited by rabbie303; 10-24-2007 at 01:38 AM.
    ~Erich~

PIN/ID
    242777ec

Awesome Rabbie!! That worked. Now, did you have an unlimited data plan or just a standard plan with the situation above? +Trust

PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Dragon, I do have an unlimited Data Plan thankfully. And thank you much for the points :-) Glad to help out.
    ~Erich~