Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I followed all the instructions I found on this forum to tether my blackberry ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jthiemeyer no está en línea Stack level 1

Tethered moden on AT&T/Cingular

Advertisement

So I followed all the instructions I found on this forum to tether my blackberry to my laptop and everytime I went to use it I got an error. I called AT&T to ask for some help and they told me I need the unlimited data plan w/ tethering for $60 a month and I only have the unlimited data plan for $40 a month......is this true?? It seems others have not had this problem........HELP!!!!

Josh

gtox no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Tethered moden on AT&T/Cingular

that is true you do need the plan.

jthiemeyer no está en línea Stack level 1

I think someone needs to write some software that gets around this issue. The new Windows Mobile 6 has a feature built into it called connection sharing (or something like that) that you click to turn on and your phone does not even have to dial out to use that.......I might have to make the switch when the new Motorola Q for GSM comes out.......I wish I did not have to leave my blackberry though!!!!

bwag717 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24A0A931

the teathering is thru BB web provider and you need to pay to play

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Actually tethering is not that difficult on a BB, the biggest problem runs into getting around the fact you need to have a tethering plan to avoid getting any extra charges. Do a search in the forums and you will find multiple posts on tethering.

Zo

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

From my understanding, it's not that hard to teather with AT&T. However, as others have mentioned, if you get caught they will make you upgrade to the expensive teathering plan...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

CMuffa no está en línea Stack level 1

If you check your Cingular/AT&T account online, if you have "DBB6A" as part of your service package, you should be good to go. This is the 39.99 deal.

I've been using bluetooth tethering without any issues. Keep in mind I am using the EDGE/GPRS settings, since the Pearl does not have 3G support.

Advanced Modem settings: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"
    Phone number: *99#
    username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    password: CINGULAR1

If your account details are wrong, you will see a "Supplimentry" type error on the phone screen.

steva11 no está en línea Stack level 3

depending on your model, it's mostlikey compatible with the communication manager program at www.cingular.com/communicationmanager

benison_123 no está en línea Stack level 2

I used my pearl on cingular through the communications manager before i knew about the tethering plan. I used it for one night and racked up 28 megs at .01cents a Meg thats $280 it shows up on my online account as pay per use media net use..i have the $39.99 a month plan so i called up cingular they said they see no extra charges at this point...then i called up the cingular internet support division and they said it is very possible that i will be charged for this usage and that you need a tether plan which start at an extra $20 a month on top of the $40 data plan, so now i am just waiting and praying...my billing period ends in about 10 days and then i will see whether i got charged or not

And if i do get charged it's time to call my fiances daddy and beg (he's a cingular rep hehehe).

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

That is the first time I had heard of that benison, but that is a lot of use, lol. I have being using my Pearl tethered through ATT without a tethering plan and haven't been charged any extra. I don't even know for sure why it would show up under the pay per use, because they would have to be monitoring it to determine if the use was from your phone or laptop, although with that much use it is pretty obvious!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

I've heard of this before. And for the record, 28 MB really isn't that much.

It's actually very easy for them to tell if you are connecting through a laptop or the phone. For one, the browswer identification string is different...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

PIN/ID
    241ECE99

Yeah, it is easy if they look for it... Unless they have an automated system to look for the browser identification string they would have to be monitoring the devices. And if they do have an automated system I don't know why only a few people would be charged and not others!

Yeah, 28mb isn't much, I was half asleep last night! Sorry

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0
    From my understanding, it's not that hard to teather with AT&T. However, as others have mentioned, if you get caught they will make you upgrade to the expensive teathering plan...
    It's not really the tethering plan that's so bad as much as getting charged for tethering at the per-use rate.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Quote Originally Posted by Naylor07
    Yeah, it is easy if they look for it... Unless they have an automated system to look for the browser identification string they would have to be monitoring the devices. And if they do have an automated system I don't know why only a few people would be charged and not others!

Yeah, 28mb isn't much, I was half asleep last night! Sorry
    They may only check when it is being abused such as someone dramatically increasing the amount of data they are using.

Zo

PIN/ID
    241ECE99

Yeah, there has been a lot of talk about whether Cingular/AT&T would do anything about this and my conclusion is if they start to lose too much money or their tethered plan sales go down they will probably start enforcing it more. I only really use it when I need it badly, but I have used it before without charge!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast