Just about done with an ordeal I've had with my 8100. I just bought one ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

KenGillis no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240341E2

Test your Bluetooth!

Advertisement

Just about done with an ordeal I've had with my 8100.

I just bought one about a week and a half ago from T-Mobile, and it's been working beautifully. Tuesday of last week, I buy a bluetooth headset from the T-Mobile Store. I get it set up, and no matter what I do, I can't get it to work.

So, I call T-Mobile up, and talk to their tech support. Going through multiple steps, we determine that teh device is defective, and I should return it.

I go back later in the week, get an exchange, and attempt to set it up. I was told to test it before I left the store, but since they're all sold with absolutely no charge, this is impossible. I run into the same problems, and call tech support again.

They determine that I should reload my OS, as my Pearl's bluetooth isn't functional. That does nothing. We try multiple things. Now...they're sending me a new Pearl.

Luckily, since I'm within my first 14 days of ownership, they can use a special clause called "Buyer's Regret" to refund me the cost of the phone, and "purchase" another one at same price...effectively exchanging it for a brand new one. Had I gotten it replaced on warranty, there's a chance I'd receive a refurbished phone.

What I'm relaying is that when you get your Pearl in, go ahead and try out as much of its functionality as you can. You never want to find out there's a defect when you're far out of warranty.

Thank God I didn't procrastinate on buying that bluetooth.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Test your Bluetooth!

Are you sure it was the Pearl, not the headset? Not trying to be mean, but could be user error also. Sometimes the bluetooth can be a pain! I know of a few other headsets that people have a hard time pairing. Which headset were you trying to pair Ken?

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

I'd have to agree with Red, though I've seen similar issues with many features on pretty much any device that required an exchange. Defects happen like that sometimes, the best thing to do is to stay calm, because it's just chance that you'd get one, exchange it and then enjoy.

It is a good idea to throughly check out the device when you get it and make sure that it is going to perform to your expectations before the 14 day grace period is up. Good suggestion!

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

What headset are you using? I have customers come in and say they have defective headsets or devices and I show them how to pair the items. BT is not the average feature, so not everyone understands how it works or how to set it up.

Shel no está en línea Stack level 3

I have two bluetooth headsets, a Nokia, which I prefered, and a Plantronics, which I also like, but again, I used the Nokia more in the past.

Well, after getting my Pearl, the Nokia would NOT pair with the Pearl. Yeah, I DO know how to pair a headset, but the Nokia wouldn't connect.

I'm now using the Plantronics, and it works excellently. Previously, I'd have to manually set my phone to pair with the headset whenever I turned on the headset... it wouldn't pair unless I basically told the phone (a Nokia, at the time) to connect to my headset Not only that, but once I entered the settings on the phone and turned on the headset, a menu item would appear on my phone, asking "Pair with Nokia Bluetooth Headset? (or Plantronics Headset?)... and I'd have to click on Yes before it would pair.

With the blackberry, I leave my Pearl's bluetooth turned on, and all I have to do is turn on the Plantronics headset, and it pairs... no fiddling with the phone's settings, no menus which won't go away unless I respond "Yes"... works GREAT! If I move out of range, the connection is (obviously) lost with the phone, but once I get back in range, again it connects automatically... no problems, no issues!

My point is, different phones/headsets work differently with different phones, and some don't work at all, even though with other phones, they work great (My Nokia headset worked great with a Samsung phone I previously owned)

My two cents.

Founder no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Shel
    Well, after getting my Pearl, the Nokia would NOT pair with the Pearl. Yeah, I DO know how to pair a headset, but the Nokia wouldn't connect.
    Ah, NOKIA again.
    The point is that Nokia is not following Bluetooth standard completely, and problems with pairing Nokia BT headphones with devices from other manufacturters are well known. This goes vice versa too.

Proof that your BT on Pearl is working correctly is Plantronics, which follows BT standard "to the letter".
    In space no one can hear you scream.

Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock Jelly Bean 4.3)
    Samsung GT-I9505 Galaxy S IV (stock KitKat 4.4.2)
    Samsung GT-I9100 Galaxy S II (CM 10.2)

PIN/ID
    240341E2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i use a Motorola h350 headset. I've been through two of them, and both have issues connecting. Tech support verified the process of pairing ad nausium, and concluded it was a handset problem

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

tech support at tmobile? sure they would

have you tried any other BT headset model?

would be very interested once the new pearl comes in what you find out.

PIN/ID
    240341E2

Well, I'll see what happens tonight when I get home and test it out.

The pairing situation is quite simple, though. I don't see a point in which I could have screwed it up. I paired it fine...and then, went to connect. It would wait on the H350 for forever, then it would have connection lost. If by some miracle I did get a connection established, the bluetooth still didn't work. If I hit the button on the headset, nothing happened, and if I manually made a call on the handset, it woudln't go through the bluetooth. Then...the phone would say that the bluetooth connection was lost.

I've been through two of these devices. Something tells me my luck isn't that bad, and from what I've read up on, as well as tech support checking to see if there are any known issues with the H350, there are no conflicts.

PIN/ID
    240341E2

Got the new Pearl in when I got home. Within 15 minutes, everything was restored onto it, and the Bluetooth was fully functional.

So...I guess this does prove that the previous Pearl was having a problem.