Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I didn't realize that the Shadow is on the windows mobile platform. Here's my perspective ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

kpsmith no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: T-Mobile Shadow Vs. Blackberry Pearl 8100 Comparisons

Advertisement

I didn't realize that the Shadow is on the windows mobile platform. Here's my perspective on all the platforms. I've owned Palms, Windows mobile, Blackberrys, etc and they all have strengths and weakenesses.

I used to like Palm the best. I think it had the greatest variety of apps and was the best user experience but they have fallen off the wagon in recent years. They had the best calendar functions in my opinion though.

Windows mobile I always felt like they crammed too much into the phone/device and it made the whole experience cumbersome. It is more powerful hardware wise than both usually but the OS i think is more of a resource hog as well. On the surface it is flashier and better then the palm and blackberry. Dig down and I was disappointed. I thought it did a lot well but never excelled in any one area.

Blackberry is THE best email device. It's not flashy but it is rock solid and works well. The calendar is ok. It does it's job. The 3rd party apps used to be really lacking but in the last couple of years they have really ramped up as the devices have started to leave the business world and enter the consumer world. In that sense they are really trying to catch up to everyone else. They can do the work, productivity, enterprise stuff better than everyone but they are just now adding the spit and polish palm and windows has had for years.

At the end of the day its personal platform preference and what you need/want to do with it.

Please no flames this is just my opinion others may see it differently.

And yes.. I wish I had wifi on the pearl. In fact I thought about a curve for that very reason. But the phone form factor won out in the end.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by rcoyle85 View Post
    My Pin # is 241AE7D0 ---The last character is a zero...feel free to send me a test message if you like.
    You've been pinned.

Thanatos504 no está en línea Stack level 2

For me, RIM has wuite an easy excuse for not having mainstream features such as video recording Messenger features, or extensive Media Player Functionality. RIM broke into the mainstream market with the Pearl, and prior to that they were marketing to businesses who needed e-mail functionality and connection to the workplace. So, if you value such features more than push e-mail, I suggest you go with something like the Shadow...in all fairness, RIM is working as fast as possible to impliment these features so they can expand their customer base, and in retrospect they have done so quite quickly for being this new to the game.

To give you some perspective, camera phones have been around for ages, the Pearl was the first BB with a camera.

rcoyle85 no está en línea Stack level 1

Gotcha, that makes some sense now.

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yeah man yahoo has an IM service available through them. Can't get you the link right now, but I think the pearl is far superior to a WM phone

TheMercuryMan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ADA6AB

dont know much about the Shadow but my Wing was useless built by the same co. it locked up about every other phone call all it would do was sit there and vibrate couldnt even answer the call.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

hey man here is a link to some thing that may make your wife jealous: http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/

go there with your mobile browser and click on the "OTA" link below the heading ColorPearl. this will allow you to change the color of the light behind the scroll ball on your phone ~~FREE

on the same website download a program called "softReset" as any blackberry user will tell you, you will have to do a battery pull every so often and this does the same thing with out having to fight the battery cover. same instructions above: Find the OTA ~~FREE

also follow these instructions for a colored flashing ball when receiving a phone call: in the screen where you can see the applications icons>press the send button (dont make a call)> menu button or BB button> Select options in the pop up menu> Select general options> select ringtone lighting> change to trackball> save and done

Good luck and have fun!

jd885 no está en línea Stack level 3

you know another thing your compairing the 8100 (came out september 06) vs the shadow that is a new release

rcoyle85 no está en línea Stack level 1

Well, my wife actually returned her Shadow due to some battery issues...it started losing power...She only had the phone for a week and it started crapping out on her....additionally, Pearl just started losing battery also...I'm going to need to replace my battery...It just doesn't seem like I'm having a lot of luck with this phone. I just bought it within the past six months and I've had mostly negative experiences. I was just starting to get excited about it after reading all the positive comments about it on this thread. T-Mobile is sending me a new battery since it is not taking a charge. Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing my Pearl not to charge?

PIN/ID
    Ask

well i can think of a couple.... but greater minds than mine could possibly help you further

installed apps that you have not closed
    constant open transmissions such as IM
    a bad battery pack~~ which should be solved with the new battery on the way
    overuse of features~~ bigger battery pack
    bad AC adapter
    Energy leak~~ new phone

i use my Pearl for texting, the occasional game, some music, keeping up with the calendar and a few phone calls. i can usually, if i stretch it, can go 3.5 days on one full charge (if i am nice to it)

here are some suggestions: Turn on the automatic on/off feature (good for lots of reasons!) maybe say off at 3am to 5am, When not in use where there is no charger put it in StandBy mode (hold the Mute button on the top of the phone) which will still get incoming but will not transmitt out, and then there is cycling the battery and resetting the battery meter...

this is tricky but very worth while if done correctly.... First day you get a battery Charge it fully, Drain the battery completely to where it shuts down as soon as you try to turn it back on, take battery out and put it back in the phone, try to boot the phone, when it fails to turn on and gives you the error message and turns back off, then charge it while it is off until the green light glows continuously, then drain it again, recharge, and now the battery is conditioned, (you can repeat this again if you want. BB says it takes about 3 cycles for it to reach its best energy retention capabilities) remember the Li Ion batteries have limited amount of cycles (500-700) so it is best to charge it before it goes dead and every night. A cycle is when the battery goes dead to where it cant turn back on and recharged again. i have heard theories of "Partial-Cycles" but i have no backing for this theory.

hope this helps you

PS- Make sure you have the most current software (App page>options>About)
    make sure it says something like "v4.2.1.107"
    Last edited by JCG3; 02-18-2008 at 05:29 PM. Reason: thought of some things after the fact

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

I have used both and I liked both. The Shadow looked great and I liked the way it felt in my hand. Also, the wi-fi was great. But, the Pearl is all about usefulness for me. The Pearl had a better UI and it was a lot easier to use with my Macs.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

PIN/ID
    Ask

sorry, this different then my above post:

Try a couple things to help diagnosis the issue:
    plug in the phone to the AC adapter and does it show it charging?
    plug it into the Computer does it show that it is charging?
    does the computer recognize the BB?
    have you done a battery pull recently?
    on the battery near the connections for the phone, is the sticker red or does it just have "X"'s on it?
    how long does it hold a charge normally?
    how much and how do you use the phone?

thats a starting place...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12