Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My wife bought a Blackberry Pearl for me upon a recent promotion around September 2007. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rcoyle85 no está en línea Stack level 1

T-Mobile Shadow Vs. Blackberry Pearl 8100 Comparisons

Advertisement

My wife bought a Blackberry Pearl for me upon a recent promotion around September 2007. I was using the phone for a few months and decided to get the data package through T-Mobile which runs $20.00 a month. However, I was not overly impressed with the internet presentation on the phone Additionally, I have access to internet at work and broadband connections at home. Therefore, I’m simply throwing $20.00 out the door to get the data package. Unfortunately, I’m not able to use any of the features on this phone unless I get the data package.

My wife and I got the free Samsung phones when we joined T-Mobile. Afterwards, my wife upgraded to a Rizr Z3. That phone cost her roughly $200.00 and she had the ability to, connect toYahoo Instant Messenger. Also, she just upgraded her phone again to the T-Mobile Shadow which retails for$349.99 on T-Mobile’s website. The shadow is Windows based, has Wi-Fi” connectivity and does allows her to take better pictures and make videos.

Meanwhile, my Blackberry Pearl which retails for about $300.00 doesn’t even allow me to have similar features to what her previous phone, the Rizr has. The Blackberry Pearl cannot make video’s or stay connected to Yahoo Instant Messenger.

To sum things up, I’m not happy with my Blackberry Pearl. I feel that the phone cannot perform many of the functions that other phones within its range cost, at least without spending an extra $20.00 a month for a data package which I see no value in for several reasons listed above. Like I said, the T-Mobile Shadow has Wi-Fi which would clearly meet my needs more since I’m already paying a lot for broadband use at my home. I’d pay the $20.00 but I have access to the internet at work, home and through local retailers (i.e. Panera Bread). I’d like to stay with Blackberry, but I don’t see any phones that have features that meet my needs. I like the Curve, but it doesn’t have a video camera. However, I still think it may meet my needs more since it has “Wi-Fi” thus allowing me to enjoy some of its capabilities without forking out an extra $20.00 a month. Again, the Shadow costs about the same and doesn’t require such expenses.

Personally, I feel the Pearl was a bit of a let up. I know a few people in my office who have other Blackberry phones so I decided to get one myself. However, this phone is not what I thought it would be. I’m prepared to move forward and buy a new phone despite spending $300+ on a Blackberry Pearl less than six months ago. I’m down to getting a T-Mobile Shadow, the same phone that my wife now enjoys or give Blackberry another chance and try the Curve. It will probably depend on how much of a deal I can get on the Curve given my current negative experiences with Blackberry. I kind of feel bad about getting rid of a $300 phone less than six months after getting it, but it has know use to me rather my wife’s old Rizr since it has more comparable features if I don’t intend to get the data package, which I don’t.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I stick with Blackberry or move on to the Shadow?
    Last edited by rcoyle85; 02-14-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Removing Website Links

Re: T-Mobile Shadow Vs. Blackberry Pearl 8100 Comparisons

The Shadow seems to have many more features (i.e. Wi-Fi, access to email) without having to pay an extra $20.00 for a "data package" that I simply do not need.

kpsmith no está en línea Stack level 1

Don't know about the shadow but in regards to the pearl I'd say it's main strength is email. If you are not looking for an email device you may not want the pearl. Second to that the calendar function is superior to most phones out there and has the ability to sync to outlook etc on your PC.

Other main uses for the Data service are 3rd party apps like Google Maps and Berry 411 which give you Maps and location/lookup services.

Most service proividers will not let you get a discounted blackberry without a data service. I thought that was the case with T-Mobil as well.

I also like reading ebooks on my blackberry so if thats of interest to you can download the isilo beta or Mobipocket reader.

A better web browser in my opinion is the Opera Mini browser. Also there are a lot of news reader/RSS types of services that use the data service. that may be of interest. NY Times has a web shortcut you can install and I believe there is a Podcast type of clone.

All in all blackberry has a lot of productivity apps readers and viewers you wouldnt find on a traditional phone. It may or may not be for you. Just depends on what you want a the phone to do.

It just seems like the Shadow runs circles around it. I wish it had a Wi Fi feature. I would pay $20.00 for the data package, but I'm strapped to a desk all day and have broadband at home. The only place I could use the internet would be in my car while driving down the road...and we don't want that!

The Shadow is like a Rolls Royce, and I'm not saying the Pearl is anything near a Ford Pinto, but it's not even a Mercedes after doing a cost vs. value comparison. Also, the Shadow connects with outlook and my wife has access to her hotmail and gmail accounts. Again, it seems to do more than the Pearl despite costing the about the same. Also, we don't have to pay $20.00 for a data package for the Shadow since it has Wi fi.

Has anyone else used the T-Mobile Shadow or does anyone have experiences with the Curve?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ There will be a newer Pearl soon that can do video (I believe). I'm not sure when there will be a Pearl with WiFi.

I haven't had any problems recently with any chat programs on my Pearl. Maybe you got a defective Pearl which has been known to happen. I'm on my 3rd Pearl right now.
    Hope you find what you're looking for. Just prepare to become highly addicted if you stay with the BB.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

If you think the shadow is so wonderful then get it.... you just may be a windows type of guy.

If it were me then i would get the pearl unlocked through T-Mo and sell it on e-bay. use that money to buy the BB Curve. it is what the shadow is but has all the stability that BB is know for.

I have a BB Pearl and i love it because it is not outrageously fancy and it has low profile and it fits in my pocket so nicely (my dad wears his 8700 in his hip holster and i make fun of him for carrying a BB with out a license... if you read the article on the police shooting with the BB you know what i am talking about). i mean seriously, when are you going to take a crapy (picture quality wise) video on your phone? you think you are going to get your buds at the office to start some kind of mini series at the office? No!

if you want BB and you want high speed connection (wifi) then go to the T-Mo store ask them about the BB Curve and their WifFi unlimited calling service.

PS- you can do a whole lot more with your BB than you think... read some threads here for awhile... the standard features arent great but what you can add is amazing!
    Gmail- go to mobile.google.com with your phones browser~~ Google maps, Gmail, online calendar sync.... check it out!

~~~visit the downloads section of the website for more stuff

oh wait you dont have the data plan so forget the GMail thing unless you pay for Unlimited Data... remember quality is more expensive than quantity!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I have to agree with JCG3. I don't think you have tried out everything the Pearl can do. I can get all the email you want if you have the data. Gmail, Yahoo, Blackberry email. You get your email on your BB almost as soon as it hits your web mail account.
    BB can synch with outlook.
    The Curve has WiFi, which works wonderfully, and opens you up to the @ home plan with the unlimited WiFi calls.
    Both the Curve and Pearl can get yahoo messenger, and AOL IM, and GTalk - all free apps from RIM - plus the Facebook application. If you get an IM Client like JiveTalk you can get MySpace IM and ICQ.
    I don't see anything the Shadow can do that the Curve can't.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

pezcookie no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    207d528a
    My advive do not get the shadow if you want to anything but take pics its slow and has a very high return rate if you need a data device get anything else but the shadow I would stick with BB the new pearl or the curve if not a BB then the dash or wing and for data on the shadow it's still 19.99 a month

Thanks for the advice...i'll weigh my options...I just keep having problems though, simple stuff like Yahoo Instant Messenger doesn't connect, picture messages don't come through...it just ticks me off that I pay $350 for a phone that doesn't appear to offer more what my wife got on her Rizr before we swapped it for a Shadow...I guess I'm just jealous over her Shadow...I'd like to make her jealous toward my Blackberry...I'll get the data package and give it a try for a month or two, but I'm moving

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

What program are you using for Yahoo Messenger? There are a multitude out there that will connect with yahoo. If you are using what came preinstalled then the problem may not be Yahoo but the software you are connecting with. I use Yahoo Messenger directly on my 8700c and the only time it drops connection is when I lose EDGE but it reconnects as soon as my EDGE comes back.
    For picture messages on T-Mobile (with any device) you must send a picture out before you can recieve any. It is a quirk in their system that requires a picture leave on your account before the computer recognizes that you can receive one.

Zo

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Well you have to take a few things into account, such as two different mobile OS and when the two phones were released.

Pearl = Q3 of 2006
    Shadow = Q4 of 2007

That's over a year's gap in time between releases and year to year the mobile industry standards change quite a bit. Also all blackberries strongest feature is the email service through BIS or BES. If email isn't your primary concern, a berry might not be as good a fit as other phones. Even WiFi berries do not offer that many abilities without an active data plan. With the upcoming 4.5 upgrade, the ability for video and other improvements will be added, but there's no guarantee as to it being comparable to that of a WM phone. They have had multimedia abilities for years so they have a bit of a time advantage.

IMO, standalone blackberry handsets are not that impressive (hardware), but when you throw in the OS combined with the blackberry services (BIS/BES) it becomes the best phone series I've ever seen. This allows for an array of 3rd party apps, PIN/BBM social networking, PUSH email service, full html internet (with ability to access secured web), the list goes on.

If you're not looking for the data side and want meatier multimedia abilities, a WM handset could be a better fit for you. Personally, any WM handset could not be my primary handset, but you may have better results than I have in the past.

I picked up the data package and will try a few things over the next month or so...afterwards, I'll make a decision about whether to upgrade or not. How do I use this Blackberry messenger?

My Pin # is 241AE7D0 ---The last character is a zero...feel free to send me a test message if you like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast