Hello, I am a newbie here and I am sorry if this has been posted ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pearly8100 no está en línea Stack level 2

T-Mobile autodetects my 8100??

Advertisement

Hello, I am a newbie here and I am sorry if this has been posted before. I tried searching to no avail.

So, I bought a 8100 on ebay, slid in my SIM from tmobile, and after starting up the first time, I get a message from T-mobile "welcoming me and my blackberry"!

A bit surprising, I might say.

The question:

SO, they in fact know I am using a 8100 on their network?

Thanks!

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yeah basically thats the deal, It doesnt mean that they are like spying on you or anything, they just know what device you use so when you log onto t-mobile website under your account the info about your blackberry is there and also to send you info about updates

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    It could also be the preprogrammed message that comes preloaded on every blackberry I have ever seen on T-Mobile. They show up after a wipe has been done on the handset. Now if you go into T-Zones it will also detect that you have a BB. That comes from the information the phone transmits to the system automatically to make sure that what you see is relevant to your device. Sometimes it will change it on my.t-mobile.com also but not always.

Zo
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

csa819 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Actually, the answer is both of the above. There is a message welcoming you to tmo that's preprogrammed into the handset. They also know via the imei # of your device what device you are using. The imei and the sim work together in the newtork operations (how the network nows where to route your calls as you are moving around).

pearly8100 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks for the answers...
    I think that as long as they have their privacy policies in place, everything should be okay.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    welcome to the stacks and yes it appears after a wipe and yes they can track your every move if they want to but they wont. my dad can get fined if he does certain things with his BB from his company and they have logs of everything you do on the BB's under the BES umbrella. dont let this freak you out its not the first thing to be tracked that you own . if own a phone at all the government can listen in on your calls. if you recently got a US passport they have RFid chips in them that send out radio waves that have a unique number like your SSN so the government know who you are as you walk past RFID readers. So yeah just relax and embrace Big Brother (1984 anyone?)

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    I heard somewhere about somebody banging repeatedly his passport with a hammer... accidentally, of course ... and now the RFid chip is dead (and gone to meet its Asian maker?! ). But the passport is still good.

Not that I would advocate this sort of thing . FIO. YMMV.

JCG3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    yeah i support that for now until it becomes illegal for you not to have it on you and with you... the world is turning more like "1984" every day...

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8
    Let's not start talking conspiracy theories. They are watching us and we are in trouble no doubt. But the less you know the better... if you go in a fact finding mission you might as well save yourself the trouble and put the tinfoil cap on your head and lay down in bed, mumbling unintelligible.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    oh bo, i use to wonder the same thing when would borrow my friends phones and when i started working with t-mobile i found out, pretty neat stuff. But they always know what you are doing
    The BlackBerry Guru

[x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter