Hi all, I've been synching my 8100 with Outlook 2003 without any problems until recently. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

kaline no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Sync crashes with Outlook

Advertisement

Hi all,

I've been synching my 8100 with Outlook 2003 without any problems until recently. When it is going through the calendar appointments, it gets to number 639 of 797 and then the app crashes. I get a "Handheld Tools Desktop Manager has encountered a problem..." The app closes and my phone isn't sync'd up.

Here's what I've done:
    - Went through appointments and removed any attachments - didn't help
    - Renamed my RIM folder in explorer. This works, but why do I have to keep doing this?

I'd love to be able to see what appointment 639 of 797 is so I can take a look at it and figure out what the problem is.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting annoying! ;-)

bbriand no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Sync crashes with Outlook

I know people that have had similar problems with syncing. Usually the problem was one of their contacts was malformed or missing required fields (I think last name was one of them). What contacts did you add/edit recently after your last successful sync? Check them to make sure they don't have any weird characters and have Last and First names (there might also be other required fields).

Bill

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it's the contacts that are causing me problems. It crashes when reading from the calendar, and it's always on the same record, so I'm assuming the problem is with the calendar and not the contacts.

I tried to upload a screenshot but for some reason I can't.

If I knew how to look at the record that is causing the problem I could figure out what's happening. So far I haven't been able to figure that out.

If memory serves you can do an advanced sync and force the calendar to sync between certain dates. Its a slow process but sync a month at a time until you narrow it down to a specific month. Then try syncing the first half of that month... well you get the idea. Narrow it down. Time consuming.

I am trying to recall... someone had a similar issue years ago in a company I did IT support for. It was something like having repeating appointments and going too far back in the past with them (or something like that - I wish my memory was better).

Try a search on RIM's or Puma's site in their knowledgebases. Might turn something up.

Bill

Hmmmm...that's not working, either. I tried just doing 5 days and still no luck. It crashes when reading the calendar, so whether I say to sync all future items or just the next 5 days, it reads everything and crashes. I'll keep looking around for info.

What's strange about this is that it all worked fine for about a month. Then I had this problem and I renamed the RIM folder. Then it worked fine for about 2 weeks and now I'm getting the error again.

AAARRRGGGHH!

Can you narrow it down to any 1 item you added recently? Did you change 1 instance of a recurring event and not the others?

I read Outlook might support recurring event properties that the BB Calendar might not.

I know how frustrating problems like these can be.

Bill

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Try reviewing the sync Log, you can access this on the Sync Confguration Page. It might help localize the event that is causing the failure.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ hi, had the same problem earlier this month, easily fixed, check out:
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...g_outlook.html

dwagman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I know this may sound dumb, but it worked when my outlook syncing started acting weird; you try restarting the computer? Since my syncing stopped giving me an error after that I assumed it was a comp/outlook issue.