Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all, I'm not a n00b if it comes to Blackberry's. Been using them for ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Panja no está en línea Stack level 2

Switching to Pearl

Advertisement

Hi all,

I'm not a n00b if it comes to Blackberry's.
    Been using them for around 4 years now.
    As I'm working as an IT person, I give Blackberry support for my customer as well.
    I won't say I'm a Blackberry guru or expert but I know my way around with them.

But... I always used full size keyboard Blackberry's.
    My current Blackberry is the Curve 8310 which I'm pretty happy with.
    But it's a bit oversized for me so I got myself a Blackberry Pearl 8100!

My main question is: how hard is it to get used to the suretype thingie when you are used to the full size keyboard?

Do you have any tip and tricks?
    Manuals that got suretype explained?

Thanks a bunch!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I guess everyone is different. I had a couple of 8700s, then I bought an 8100. After having been used to the full keyboard, I just could not get used to suretype, and had to switch back to the full keyboard. Be sure and start another thread when you switch back. No, like I said, everyones different, it just didnt work for me, I hope it works out for you.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    Just use it often in the beginning, try not to pay attention to the word that's coming up until you finish typing it........It's amazing how it starts off guessing something strange, but by the end it usually has the right word.

There used to be a game to help you learn it and get faster...but I've never been able to find it. Trooper typing or something like that???

It took me about two weeks to really get good at it, I think on my Desktop Manager installation CD there was also some user guides and something about suretype too.......I never used it......I like to be a hands-on, learn as you go kinda girl!
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    Trooper typing is a very good way in learning the sure-type way. But like everyone mentioned above, once you use it for a few weeks, its a breeze. You could not get me to go to full keyboard ever again!!!!

Thanks for the replies so far!

Also I would like to mention I will be using 2 languages regularly.
    I'm Dutch but at work I speak/type a lot of English.
    So I will be using 50% English and 50% Dutch with teh suretype.
    Is that a problem?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I converted the other way...from the 8100 to the 8320 but, I love the size of the Pearl - I still have it and use it from time to time. Just get your mind "right" and give the suretype a chance - if you do, you'll probably learn to like it AND appreciate the "smarts" involved in it.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Panja View Post
    I got myself a Blackberry Pearl 8100!

My main question is: how hard is it to get used to the suretype !
    -------
    Congratulayions on your new Pearl.

I've been through what you are experiencing now & here's what worked for me. I was so frustrated at first that I let my attitude get in the way. Then I decided to slow down, relax, and remind myself it took time to get used to a qwerty keyboard on a phone. If others could do it, then I would too. Well, that worked perfectly. It still took a week or so but gradually I got to the point that I now prefer it. I'm faster, more accurate -thanks to SureType- and truly happy with it.

Hope this works for you!

Cheers!
    Via BB 8120

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Ha...ha...ha...
    Congratulations

Now that's better, it was_ My_ Mistake_ not SureType...I love to go really fast.& I forgot to proof read before hitting send...

Via 8120 featuring User Error...

hahahaha! LOL @ archer6

Thanks again for all the replies.
    I will give it a try and try to learn it step by step.

If you are using 2 languages is it harder? (as you put one language as default I guess...)

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

To Panja...Congrats on the new Pearl and converting to SureType.I've been using SureType for 3 years now (since 2005 I've had a 7100t, 7105t, 8100 and soon an 8120) and even though I have wanted a full keyboard BB, I'm sticking with the compact size of the Pearl.

To archer...I see the conversion back to SureType didn't take long LOL

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    I'm a strictly English user....but I would imagine that using 2 languages would make it tricky. The good thing is that the custom dictionary will save the words from the language that's not default.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Panja View Post
    If you are using 2 languages is it harder? (as you put one language as default I guess...)
    You've asked about using 2 languages twice. I didn't ignore it - probably we all didn't. It's just that many of us typically don't use more than one language and don't know the answer. Maybe a bi-lingual user will catch this and give you some help with that. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

sender no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204C1561
    I used to have a lot of problems with the SureType, but the BB put most of the unique words I use into the Custom WordList and most of my difficulties evaporated with it. Good luck!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    You have 2 options to change the input language:

1) In the Language settings (Options>Language), all you have to do is change the Language and Input Language settings to whatever you want to use.

2) Go to Messages. Click the Menu key. Scroll down to Change Language.

Thanks all!
    I will give it a try the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast