Hello folks. I have a att phone. I want to get a curve. I'm thinking ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8

switching tmo and att

Advertisement

Hello folks. I have a att phone. I want to get a curve. I'm thinking about going to tmo for my new service provider.

I was wondering can I switch my sim back and forth and switch between the services? What about the service books? Once I unlock the curve can I just carry the att sim instead of carrying 2 phones? Is anyone doing this? What problems can I face?

I know I can get the phone number switched but I was thinking of how complicated it would be to switch the sims once a day.

Suggestions/advice folks?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Great Question!

I've done this a lot & it's great fun.

If I understand you correctly, you are currently with AT&T. You are considering moving your business to T-Mobile, & purchasing a Curve from them. The question being, after the switch can you use two phones with just one sim?

Yes you may. The qualifiers here are:

1) Your old phone must be unlocked, as the sim you will be swapping will be from T-Mobile, therefore a phone locked to AT&T will not work.

2) Once unlocked your AT&T phone will work perfectly with T-Mobile.

3) You will be swapping the T-Mobile sim because that's the one that will have all your account info on it, as well as your BlackBerry data plan.

Plus your old AT&T sim will be deactivated when you terminate your service with AT&T

4) Swapping the sim card between the phones is fast & easy with no drawbacks. As the service books from your BB will remain in place.

So it's simply a matter of pulling the battery, removing the sim & moving it to the phone yoi wish to use.

Questions?

Cheers...
    via: Red BB 8310 (wap.pinstack.com)~

kolosus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    315677A8
    The berry from att is the 8100. The one from TMo will be a curve. From the way you worded your response it seemed that I'll be swapping the sims in and out of the 8100, correct? It shouldn't matter what phone I use... but will it? Please advise.

accio5 no está en línea Stack level 1
    it wont matter the phone you have. it just needs to be unlocked to be usable by tmobile

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by kolosus View Post
    The berry from att is the 8100. The one from TMo will be a curve.
    This is just the info I needed & forgot to ask about earlier as your first post did not talk about what phone you already had.

OK, here is where you stand, and where we all stand for that matter.

Recently AT&T in particular made a big announcement about users who are paying for data service for one , then swapping another different device on that same line. And this was just one particular example but the gist of the article was that they are going to begin watching carefully and if you are using a phone with a data plan that is different, you will be charged. They even went so far as to suggest that swapping phones is something that they do not care for, or support. While this is no big surprise to me it shows that they are not about to miss a thing. And are watching what phones are being used on what plans. And this is not confined to just AT&T, I also read the terms of the T-Mobile contracts as I have business with them, and there terms mirror AT&T.

That aside, I did what I do every six months. I logged onto the AT&T site, and a few others, to compare terms and conditions of our data plans. One thing that really stood out for me was the part of it that states that "they" have the right to change the terms & conditions at any time without prior warning. Now this is not new, just something for us to keep in mind, especially considering that these "new & changed" terms & conditions now read such that it's our sole responsibility to actively look them up to keep ourselves informed.

So while I am now aware that they are watching and playing hardball to a certain degree ie: you (the customer) will not switch phones, I still continue to do so.

Therefore the bottom line is that you can swap phones just fine with an unlocked phone, but be aware that there is a certain amount of risk. For me, I really don't care as I cannot imagine if one did get caught that the fine would be of any real consequence. However conversely, I could be 100% wrong....