Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After months of looking into other BlackBerrys...I decided to go with the javelin 8900. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

switching over

Advertisement

After months of looking into other BlackBerrys...I decided to go with the javelin 8900. I keep hearing its coming out for AT&T but, I can't wait N tmobile has sum great plans. I was thinking of the storm, but I only wanted the storm if AT&T got it...I don't really care too much for verizon.

Anyways, I wanna know if the pinstack community would help me once more.

OK. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to back up my phone with DM without a usb connection (via Bluetooth).

And plz let me know exactly wut it would back up. Games, themes, ringtones, pix, apps, custom word list, phone book, messenger contact list, etc.?

And will it be easy to transfer over from an 8100 to an 8900? Transfer over games n apps I currently have on my 8100 n all my other backed up files?!??

Thanx in advance
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Functionality wise I believe a backup would work similarly for both usb and bluetooth connections...

If you plan on having both apps at the same time, you can use the device switch wizard... Let's assume that you won't...

You have to do two things with your 8100... First a full backup... Just do the standard backup and it'll do everything...

Second is backing up your third party apps... Its a bit tricky but very cool...

You staryt the device switch wizard, and in the options on the right side, just check 3rd party apps... Nothing else... Start the process... When you get a prompt, don't click anything.

Run a windoes search for your device pin... You'll see a folder named as your device pin in a temp directory... COPY and SAVE this folder somewhere else... This is all your third party apps...

With your new device you'll be able to go into the add application section, browse into this folder and with a couple of clicks be able to get all your third party apps back...

Keep in mind two things... Your media card is not backed up, you'll need to do thaty seperately, and second, some apps may not work on the newer device (because they're just not compatible)...

PIN/ID
    ask
    Wut do you mean by "your media card is not backed up" how do I back that up?

I just want everything, every single custom word ringtone n app I added to my 8100 to go to my 8900 (except those that aren't compatible with newer devices)

I wanna keep all I got on my 8100 but just use it on my 8900

PIN/ID
    ask me
    I'm not sure if you can access your media card on your pc over a bt connection... I know that if you go in and do a custom backup of your databases, if you can link with a usb cable, your memory card will show up as a flash drive and you can just copy that over to your pc as a backup and then copy it over to the new media card on your 8900...

But I've never done that via bt so I don't know if it'll work that way...

PIN/ID
    ask
    Wouldn't I be able to remove the SD card from the 8100 n just place it on the 8900? Wouldn't that do the same thing?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    You can put that card in the 8900.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Yes you can... I'm assuming that if you have a stock SD card, the 8900 will probably come with a larger capacity card than the one you have in your pearl... But ofcourse you can just put it in...

I think the 8900 comes w/256. Can't remember red. Gave to Cas.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    The only thing you will be able to do via bluetooth is backup and restore contact and calender info as far as I know. To use device switch wizard you have to be connected via USB.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    The 8900 has 256 mb of ram, but r u suggesting it comes with a 256mb microsd card???

My bold came with a 1gb card...

If I remember it was 256. Know it was smaller than my 1g. I'd get the box out but its tuesday. Not off couch for 3 more hours

PIN/ID
    ask me
    You musnt get off the couch man... I'm still in bed... It would be unfair...

Sadly there's no toilet in the couch (too much info) so I checked. 256.

Rememner just swapping from 8310 once I got it. 256 is just...tiny. Couldn't figure out why they even bothered.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Tisk tisk... Why exactly did they bother... Can't even sell those anymore...

PIN/ID
    ask
    I have a 2 gb SD card n wut I want to do is, put it on my 8900, connect with usb cord from 8900 and copy, then buy a bigger card (cuz, why not) n then send it to the bigger card.

So, am I to understand that the Bluetooth back up won't back up my 3rd party apps...I have about 30! There's gotta be a way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast