I purchased an unlocked TMobile branded Blackberry Pearl. I know the phone works with a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

santimar no está en línea Stack level 1

Switch Blackberry Service??

Advertisement

I purchased an unlocked TMobile branded Blackberry Pearl. I know the phone works with a different carrier as far as calling, my question is will the blackberry service work (Email, Internet). I have been searching for a straight answer. Some say no some say yes. The phone people here in Italy dont know and are not very helpful in trying to find out.

Can anyone give me a answer to this?

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Switch Blackberry Service??

santimar, welcome to the stacks
    I would think as long as the carrier offers bb support and a bb data plan you should be fine!!
    I could be wrong but thats how it works here in the US
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

santimar no está en línea Stack level 1

The italians say I would have to update all the software in the phone which would cost more than what its worth. They do offer the service but they say it wont work. I am trying to get them to try it but its tough. I heard its the same way in the States, so thats not true? In the states you can switch between different carriers?

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by kayos72
    I would think as long as the carrier offers bb support and a bb data plan you should be fine!!
    yep as kayos said. once you sign up with the bb plan and they activate it, once you restart your phone and have the service books sent, you will be good to go.

the reason some ppl were saying yes/no is different countries run different bands and if you purchased a phone that did not support your countries bands, it would be useless.

-edit-

the point of it being unlocked is that it can switch b/t service providers making it a true world phone.

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

do a search under members in the stacks. put in italy for location, it appears most are on vodaphone, or tim? not sure if this helps but worth a shot
    Been a long while since last login. Sorry all, adjusting to a new life is great and hell at the same time!!

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by santimar
    The italians say I would have to update all the software in the phone which would cost more than what its worth. They do offer the service but they say it wont work. I am trying to get them to try it but its tough. I heard its the same way in the States, so thats not true? In the states you can switch between different carriers?
    if they are on the same platform. e.g. we can switch between t-mobile/cingular since they are both gsm carriers. we can't switch over to sprint or verizon since they are both cdma and the phones are not compatible.