Hi all, I have had my 7100t for 2 years with T-Mobile and my contract ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

icewiz no está en línea Stack level 1

Switch 7100t to 8100 on T-Mobile M2M contract

Advertisement

Hi all,

I have had my 7100t for 2 years with T-Mobile and my contract is (finally) done.

I use BES provided by my company and have the the unlimited data, BES, and 800 min voice plans.

What steps do I need to take to upgrade to an 8100 if I want to avoid a new contract and without ticking off either T-Mobile or my company IT department?

1) can I use a refurb T-Mobile 8100 (locked) that requires activation without a new contract? (refurb at $210) That is, does "activation" carry an automatic contract renewal whether I buy the phone from them or not?

2) or will an unlocked 8100 work better and avoid a new contract? (refurb at $300)

3) Does the BES connection (which is tied to the phone and not my SIM card, right?) update when I sync with my desktop machine at work? Will I need any action on the part of my company's tech support? They are not picky about specific devices as far as I can tell, but I would rather not involve them if I can accomplish it myself.

4) Are the data plans the same for the 7100t and the 8100, and I will get EDGE and all of the other goodies the 8100 brings for the same price? Or will T-Mobile see my 8100 and raise the charges?

thanks for any instructions, suggestions, or ideas.

*ice*

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Switch 7100t to 8100 on T-Mobile M2M contract

1. Yes you will need to do a renewal or start a new contract to get the discounted price.

2. An unlocked unit will work without involving a new contract.

3. I can't answer that one but I am sure someone else will come along that can.

4. The data plans are the same no matter what BB you have. It is device independent (as far as BB's go).

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    1. Yes you will need to do a renewal or start a new contract to get the discounted price.
    I would buy the phone refurb, without involving TMO. Seems like there would be no reason to buy a refurb for $200+ since they are offering one for $150 on the TMO site (after rebate, etc) with a new contract. If I buy a TMO refurb that requires activation but no discount ... do I still need a new contract?

Put more simply, any way to avoid a new contract and keep my M2M?

2. An unlocked unit will work without involving a new contract.
    bummer.

4. The data plans are the same no matter what BB you have. It is device independent (as far as BB's go).

Zo
    thanks!

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Only way to avoid a new contract and maintain M2M is to pay full retail (no discounts or rebates).

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek
    Only way to avoid a new contract and maintain M2M is to pay full retail (no discounts or rebates).

Zo
    OK, that sounds like the refurb I found on eBay. For $200 or so (no discounts or rebates, just a refurb unit) I can use my existing contract and go M2M?

PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Yup.