On my Pearl, latest OS version .71, I am getting the following error intermittingly: Input ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

starwatcher no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20542F84

Suretype - Input System Error

Advertisement

On my Pearl, latest OS version .71, I am getting the following error intermittingly:

Input System Error - the system is being restarted.

It happens in the address book and once in memo pad, when I am typing in something like a name or word for it to search for. Not while in the body of the text. Never seen it in the email. It really only happens as it is searching for a contact or memo as I am typing.

It give this error almost immediately while I am typing the first few characters.

The error just pops up in the middle of the screen. I beleive it is just reffering to suretype restarting, not the pearl, as the pearl does not restart or anything else. Once the error pops up, it just clears by itself, but I cannot search any longer in the address book or memo pad, meaning anything I type in just sits there, no searching is done.

I ESC out of address book or memo pad, run it again, and everything is fine.

1/100 times I can get this error 2 times in a row. Mostly just once though. And I can go 50 searches and no problem. But as I have been 'testing' it out alot, I have got it about 20 times since first discovering it yesterday. But I have tested it 100's of times.

It seems to happen most often when I have not used the Pearl for at least 10-15 minutes, and I bring it out of its little sleep. And it usually happens just once, then I can search no problem.

I have done everything I can to get rid of this error. I have totally wiped clean the pearl with that java loader program and even re-installed .71 on my computer, not just on the pearl. I even restored the backup from last week to see if that would make a difference. No go.

I was using other themes and I had removed the other languages, but now all EN and FR are back, as that is what I had last week. I am on Rogers.

I am not sure if this is just a normal thing with suretype getting confused, I could go 40 searches without coming across this problem. And it is only 1 week since I bought this maybe it is always there.

I am thinking of going back to .51 or .67 from Rogers to see if that makes a difference. The only thing is everytime I do this I lose all my games. I know big deal, get it working, but it is a pain.

Can anyone think of anything I have not tried, I have searched around here, and only found 1 solution to go into autotext and turn on and off suretype. But it did not work.

Has anyone else had this problem. Please let me know either way, and maybe my Pearl is defective.

thanks,
    allan

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: Suretype - Input System Error

I don't know what more you can do. I have never seen this error. It might just be time to call your Customer Care. If you do, don't forget to ask straight off for Blackberry Device support.

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    20542F84

Thanks for your reply. And as there was not any other response from anyone on the site, I assume no one else has ever had this error.

Anyway, I did 3 full wipes and 3 full installs. .71, .67 and even back to .51, and I still had the problem. Called Rogers Blackberry Tech support, had to point out the issue does exist (in a limited form) as a Java error, and is indicated on a document at RIM, but only in so far as:
    BasicEditField API
    SDR98182

When using the BlackBerry Pearl™ 8100 smartphone in either SureType® or multi-tap mode, selecting the minus symbol as the first character in a BasicEditField with a NumericTextFilter that allows negative numbers causes an input system error to occur.
    Impact:
    When in either SureType or multi-tap mode on a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 smartphone, selecting a minus symbol as the first character in a BasicEditField causes an alert that states “Input system error. The system is being restarted” to appear.
    Workaround:
    No workarounds are needed. The minus symbol displays on the screen after the alert closes.
    As I was getting the error whether or not I used the "-" sign, and I was not able to reproduce the error on command even with the "-" and a number, he agreed to replace the phone.

Should be receiving another one today. Hopefully no error.

Allan

PIN/ID
    20542F84

Got my new Pearl, I get the same error.

All I did was sync my outlook to get the databases on, so I had names to test with. Anyway, I wiped it again, then just added 4 contact names, and tried to see if I could get the error. I do.

Though this time, I think I found a way to recreate it. I cannot get it to happen all the time this way, but at least 1 or 2 out of 10 times. Much better odds then once every 50.

Chances to get the error increase, if you let the Pearl go to a blank screen first before trying, (just give it 2 minutes without touching it) then wake it up by pressing the keys as follows:

On the main screen type a name (even if it does not exist in your phone book) type a name that uses 2 character from the keypad, 1-9, then 1 character that is not on the key pad. (all you need is the 3 presses). Then click menu, choose call from address book, then type a character again from the keypad (1-9). This has brought up the error for me quite a bit.

I think it has to do with the phone going from digit entry to text entry back to digit, and then mixing itself up.

Anyway, I would feel so much better if others were able to get the same error as I have.

Thanks,
    Allan

PIN/ID
    20542F84

More info, I just heard from another person on another website that tried to recreate my steps and he did in fact have the error. Thank god it is not just me.

I have found a method that gives the error a little more often. Again not all the time, but more often then just a random pressing:

The combination I find works best is:

Remember I got the error more often if I do this while waking up the phone.

G then R then A
    Then click menu, choose call from address book, then type G

Anyway, hope others get this.

But I have found away around it. To get the option to pull up the address book I just click one of the letters that are not shared with the numbers, then click menu, etc, and I have not received the error yet. Knock on wood.

So I think it has to do with the suretype getting all confused between text and digits.

Anyway, if others can try it would be much appreciated. And let us know here.

Thanks,
    Allan