I've been trying my best to like suretype. After doing a lot of searching and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

HaroldC no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E8C63E

Suretype hints/suggestions?

Advertisement

I've been trying my best to like suretype. After doing a lot of searching and reading here, I was convinced that suretype can be fast, as most of you have alluded to. I've had my 8100 for almost a week now, and love the form factor. Coming from the 8700, it's nice to be able to put it in my pocket and forget about it.

The problem is that when typing, the wrong words come up almost 50% of the time still. I am constantly deleting and using the trackball to scroll for the correct word or spelling. This is quite time consuming, and I am currently not writing any long e-mails on the 8100 and leaving them for the computer.

Am I doing something wrong? I keep reading that some of you are just as fast using suretype than with a qwerty keyboard. I just can't comprehend how that's possible, given all of the errors that are occuring. I can type quickly on the 8100, but the time that I need to spend checking and finding the correct word easily doubles the time necessary to write a message.

I'm still giving it time, but am very tempted to return the phone and go back to the 8700, which I loved save for the size.

Any hints and suggestions for you guys would really help. Thanks!

-Harold

ffmike no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    21C0D135

Re: Suretype hints/suggestions?

Hi,

My first suggestion would be be patient. It took me about 2-3 weeks of use before I got used to the suretype keyboard. Second, try not to look at the words as they are being typed. Wait until you are done with the word, Many times it will look all wrong as you are typing but end up correct in the end.

I hope this helps.

bobhammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2171D09A

my previous bb is a 8700 with qwerty keyboard...and it took me like 15 mins to get used to the suretype..it works so well!!

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

The key is do NOT look at the suggestions and just type. Sometimes it shows wrong choices but when you press "space" the most common result is actually used and is correct.

It also learns and gets better the more you use it.

Just type and do NOT look. I bet you will be surprised.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

i can type faster on sure type give it some time and youll become a pro

bberry124 no está en línea Stack level 2

like rkk said, its all about not looking at whats coming up. for the most part, the right word wont come up until you have typed most of the word because suretype is still "figuring out" what your typing

HaroldC no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E8C63E

Thanks for the responses.

After reading some of the suggestions from other threads, I have been typing without looking at the screen, as many of you also said. It is definitely better, but my problem is the end result - the words are just not correct in the end.

I'll write an entire message without looking up, and almost half of the words, especially words longer than 5 letters, are just wrong. Some are off by a letter or two, some are way off as they started with the wrong letter. I know that the system "learns" from our typing, but why insert letters with accents if I'm typing in English?

I'll just keep trying, but it's frustrating to write out a message ad have to go back and correct all of the mistakes.

Thanks everyone.

-Harold

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Are you certain that AutoText is not doing strange things?

Certain that SureType is on? (Absence of the "ABC" icon in upper right corner.)

An issue I have discovered with this silly ball (I'm 100% SureType, but started with a 7100 and 7130 before the Pearl) is that it is just too sensitive. Do you pound away on the keys? If so, you may be causing motion in the track-ball, which will most definitely affect the outcome of SureType. I have this issue especially with the TY key and often obtaining Ą instead of t.

However, I do agree that just one week seems a bit premature to give up on SureType.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

One of the thing I notice is you need to periodically clean up the Options/CustomWordList to get rid of your errors. Especially if you are like me and haven't really gotten used to the limited keyboard yet. Lots of typos on my part really messes up sure-type. It really has helped me Also I can look back at the word before I press the space and if the correct word is not highlighted use the rollerball to select the correct one. Then the next time I type that word, it seems to remember better.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

symtar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243552DE

Quote Originally Posted by glehman85
    i can type faster on sure type give it some time and youll become a pro
    Same here
    Live every day like it's your last cause it may be.