In the last couple of days Suretype has started behaving really strangely. When I type ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

stevejh no está en línea Stack level 1

Suretype errors

Advertisement

In the last couple of days Suretype has started behaving really strangely. When I type 'I' it chooses 'U' instead, when I type 'you' it chooses 'tou'. When I scroll back through words to correct them it will insert letters that I never use (letters with accents above them from foreign languages). It starts some words correctly but then 'corrects' them after the last couple of letters into completely the wrong word or even something that isn't actually a word.

I've been into my custom wordlist but there were only a couple of strange words in there which I deleted and that hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Re: Suretype errors

If you've already deleted the words you don't need from your custom word list then you're just going to have to choose what you want when you are typing so your BB gets to know which combination or words you use most. That way it will automatically choose I instead of U after a while. At least thats what I think.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

It just seems strange that it's been working ok for months but suddenly decides to behave weirdly. I wonder if resetting the Pearl to factory defaults would help but what else would I lose by doing that?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ That's correct. The SureType system has to learn the words and phrases you use when typing. Keep practicing and it will become easier.

I see this brought up a lot and many people get frustrated and give up on SureType before it has a chance to learn how they type.

I'm on my 3rd SureType model BB (7100t, 7105t and now the 8100) and it has gotten easier but it still messes up at times. Good luck.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ If you wipe and restore your BB, you will lose all your applications, messages, address book, BB Messenger contacts although newer versions of Desktop Manager have been noted to restore these, etc.

In order to save these it would be a good idea to back up your BB before wiping it.

Bluebell Wood no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You will lose all your personal data if you restore to factory settings.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ That's correct. The SureType system has to learn the words and phrases you use when typing. Keep practicing and it will become easier.

I see this brought up a lot and many people get frustrated and give up on SureType before it has a chance to learn how they type.

I'm on my 3rd SureType model BB (7100t, 7105t and now the 8100) and it has gotten easier but it still messes up at times. Good luck.

I appreciate that Suretype learns as you type and I'm actually a huge fan of it - normally. It's just that it's gone haywire now after working brilliantly for about eight months. As well as getting it back to how it was a couple of days ago I'm curious as to what has caused the problem as I don't remember doing anything to the Pearl that might have caused these issues to have started.

scoope no está en línea Stack level 2

Check the default language in Options - Language. I experienced the same crazy suretype and found that the default language had somehow changed from English to South African. I don't know why my language changed but changing it back solved the problem.

I have now removed all uneccessary languages from my Pearl to free up memory!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by scoope View Post
    Check the default language in Options - Language. I experienced the same crazy suretype and found that the default language had somehow changed from English to South African. I don't know why my language changed but changing it back solved the problem.

I have now removed all uneccessary languages from my Pearl to free up memory!

Simon
    Sorted. Thanks for your help. I had checked the language and it was set to English but I didn't notice that the input language was set to Afrikaans. I have now changed it and it seems to be back to normal. I've also remembered that my eight year old daughter was playing a game on my Pearl a couple of days ago so she must have changed the language somehow.

scoope no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by stevejh View Post
    Sorted. Thanks for your help. I had checked the language and it was set to English but I didn't notice that the input language was set to Afrikaans. I have now changed it and it seems to be back to normal. I've also remembered that my eight year old daughter was playing a game on my Pearl a couple of days ago so she must have changed the language somehow.
    If I remember correctly it was Afrikaans in my case too. It may have happened when I was trying different themes.

Glad you got it sorted out!
    Last edited by scoope; 03-05-2008 at 06:12 PM.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A

thats kinda funny rofl
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!