My wife had her pearl stolen over the weekend. Since all blackberries have PINs, can't ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bbfogie no está en línea Stack level 2

Stolen pearl - question

Advertisement

My wife had her pearl stolen over the weekend. Since all blackberries have PINs, can't the service provider (Verizon in our case) track down the unit? At the very least, can they search their network to see if someone else is trying to activate or use it (we had service on our account interrupted).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I believe you can call RIM and they can put it on a "stolen" list. This should prevent anyone from activating it in the future.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Thanks. On a related note, where's the best place to buy a replacement without having to shell out the full $400 retail price to Verizon?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Check the BBay Marketplace section here, or EBay. Just make sure it is unlocked and doesn't have an IT policy.

Taegus no está en línea Stack level 1
    I read about another person having theirs stolen and a couple of suggestions that were included were findit ($4.99) where you can send emails to it to make it ring, call you back when the backlight comes on, or scream "This Phone is Stolen" when the backlight comes on -- all no matter if it is set to silence or vibrate or not. Another idea was blackberrytracker.com (free) that tracks your blackberry, so you can log onto the site on your computer and see where your phone is. I added both to my phone since I am very protective. When you get a new Bberry, this might be something you want to do, too.

thanks for the replies.

MessageMan no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Taegus View Post
    I read about another person having theirs stolen and a couple of suggestions that were included were findit ($4.99) where you can send emails to it to make it ring, call you back when the backlight comes on, or scream "This Phone is Stolen" when the backlight comes on -- all no matter if it is set to silence or vibrate or not. Another idea was blackberrytracker.com (free) that tracks your blackberry, so you can log onto the site on your computer and see where your phone is. I added both to my phone since I am very protective. When you get a new Bberry, this might be something you want to do, too.
    Does blackberrytracker.com drain your battery significantly?

aga080 no está en línea Stack level 2
    that sucks...

CostantinoA no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31B71F57
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I just downloaded blackberrytracker.. Won't update location.. Anyone else having this problem? Oh well.. Try it out later..

jar8100 no está en línea Stack level 2
    There is a program called "Roblock" which will email you (or a friend) all your contacts and location of the phone and notify you of a SIM card change as well as being able to do a 'remote wipe' of the device. I think this is the best stolen/recovery software out right now. But I still believe if you have the PIN and IMEI numbers you should phone up your carrier and RIM to report the phone as stolen. Because you need a 'plan' to use the BB the person trying to activate it WILL have to show ID and if reported stolen this gets them caught and you your phone back. I also recommend you have a password on it at all times.

Taegus no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MessageMan View Post
    Does blackberrytracker.com drain your battery significantly?
    I haven't noticed a significant battery drain from it. It seems to update routinely, and I set up a "geofence" and it alerted me when I went out the area. Kinda cool really!

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3
    Anyone know if blackberrytracker will work on a VZ 8130 if I have not activated VZW Navigator? I've emailed their support but the answer may take awhile.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    In the case of the OP, your pearl has been rendered completely useless on the Verizon network when you reported it stolen. Verizon keeps a database of ESN's that are reported stolen or lost and will not reactivate those units unless it was the original person who reported it trying to activate it.

Zo

Quote Originally Posted by Amigotek View Post
    In the case of the OP, your pearl has been rendered completely useless on the Verizon network when you reported it stolen. Verizon keeps a database of ESN's that are reported stolen or lost and will not reactivate those units unless it was the original person who reported it trying to activate it.

Zo
    That's comforting to hear. I wish the jerk who stole it knew that. Maybe it would have prevented the theft, but then again, maybe not...

VZW in store rep confirmed that the unit is unusable once it is put on their list. Apparently, thieves sell them and either don't tell the buyer, or the buyer takes it knowing it won't work for very long.

On the bright side, he did give my wife 25% off full retail out of pity. Better than nothing, I guess.