hey, i had my 8130 stolen from me about a day ago. what kind of ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rykin no está en línea Stack level 1

Stolen Berry

Advertisement

hey, i had my 8130 stolen from me about a day ago.
    what kind of security features does it have that'd help me get it back? and is there anything the thief couldve done to prevent those features? if so, what can do to then counteract that?

thanks in advance,
    Rykin

caboose06 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GoGrEEn!
    have you filed a police report? once that is done you should contact your service provider and see what they can do. was the phone locked?

BBqwest no está en línea Stack level 3
    If your phone was password protected then the thief won't be able to access any info from your bb. After bout 10 or so attempts to unlock your berry it'll go into wipe handheld mode and all your info will be erased. Oh and follow caboose06 info as well. They will blacklist your phone and the thief won't be able to use it.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    This is why I use SimGuard. At least if someone steals my berry and tries to put another sim in it, I get a text with their phone number and IMEI, as well as gps coordinates/cell ident.

rykin no está en línea Stack level 1
    alright, i contacted telus already. but i dont ever call the police, theyve never found anything of mine before, nothings going to change sadly.

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by rykin View Post
    alright, i contacted telus already. but i dont ever call the police, theyve never found anything of mine before, nothings going to change sadly.
    They won't attempt to.
    But if you file a report, it may help if you had insurance on it.
    Most of the time, VZW, Telus, ATT will NOT lock out the phone if you don't submit a police report.
    And if they did catch the one who took it, and you didn't file a report with the police, they won't do anything to them because you never told them it was stolen.
    "Nowhere am I so desperately needed as among a shipload of illogical Humans." (Spock)

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I spoke to my gf father (retired state trooper), if you want anyone to do anything then you must file a report.

There are too many potential lawsuits that can result in acting without official documentation and police involvment.

File the report. Provide IMEI, PIN, any relevant info you can. Then take that to the provider.

I questioned if the info provided by SimGuard would assist in recovering or at least catching the phone/theif. He indicated that it would be very helpful, esp since the new phone number (from whatever sim is inserted) is provided.

Good luck, and I def recommend spending the 9 bucks on SimGuard in the future.