Anybody know the functional difference (other than rings and alerts) between using the mute button ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

sanjeevjoshi no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Standby vs. Sleep Mode?

Advertisement

Anybody know the functional difference (other than rings and alerts) between using the mute button to put the bb in "standby" vs. using a holster to put it into a "sleep" mode?

Is there any difference in what bb turns off or leaves on, is there any difference in battery savings?

Amazing, seems like a basic question. Lets see if anybody knows.

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Standby vs. Sleep Mode?

~via SUPA BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I think the sleep mode notices the magnet and that the device is in a holster. This will activate the profile that is set up for this mode. Those are the only differences that I can think of now. I'm sure there are other ones though.

peterme no está en línea Stack level 3

The above answer is correct, and also the backlight goes out right away, even if it is set to stay on for a long period of time.

r3ckl3ss no está en línea Stack level 2

I am getting the feeling that my use of the lock function is a waste of the left side button. I do have the T-Mobile holster with the magnet, but don't like putting the phone in upside down as I can't access the USB port without taking it out.

So press and hold the top button to place phone in standby (and inherantly lock the keys/trackball, and essentially place it in the same mode as if it was holstered) and use my left side button for something else... yes?

-r3ck

sammyjojo no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B2747

Quote Originally Posted by r3ckl3ss
    So press and hold the top button to place phone in standby (and inherantly lock the keys/trackball, and essentially place it in the same mode as if it was holstered) and use my left side button for something else... yes?
    I had a thread about the standby vs. sleep thing and from what I can tell they're not the same thing. The phone does not treat standby as in holster mode, so you don't get the benefits of having the seperate functions for things when using standby. Also, the phone doesn't really stay in standby mode for very long. If you put the phone in standby and then wait a couple of minutes you should be able to hit any key (only mute should work) and it will just be in key lock mode.

ShawnZ no está en línea Stack level 1

Im haveing issues with my 8800 always going into standby mode and have to push the power button to get the screen up.....even when its ringing, real pain in the butt, does anyone out there know how to fix this?

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

The standby and holster modes are the same as far as power consumption. They both power your device down to the same level, and they both offer you essentially the same access to features. The method to use those features are only slightly different because holster mode does not require a hardware button.

Basic functionality:
    Standby: Locks all phone buttons when you hold the standby button. You can listen to music/audio, etc. To do this, you must start the media player first, pause and minimize it, and then go into standby. Pressing the standby button again will pause the music and wake up the device. You will not be able to use the volume buttons, this is because in theory, you have nothing to prevent accidentally bumping the volume buttons. Using a headset, all normal headset features are accessed the usual way (voice dialing, media, etc.).

Holster: Locks all phone buttons simply by sensing the magnetic field. Since it did not use the standby button and doesn't need it again to wake it up, you are able to freely use it for muting/unmuting. You can listen to music/audio, etc. To do this, you may leave the media player as the active application when you put the device into the holster. You will still be able to adjust the volume, it assumes that you know have the device inside a case that will prevent accidental button presses. Using a headset all normal headset features are accessed the usual way (voice dialing, media, etc.).

The only difference is how it assumes your device is protected from the world, however as far as power usage goes it is the same.

Hope this helps!