I put my Pearl into "standby mode" regularly. But when I press mute again to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cfiet no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Standby mode switches to Keypad Locked

Advertisement

I put my Pearl into "standby mode" regularly. But when I press mute again to bring it out it is in "keypad is locked" mode. Also, when I leave the device laying around for a while it switches to keypad locked. What is causing this? Do I have a security setting somewhere which defaults the device to keypad lock? Anyone else experiencing this?

325inewbie no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Standby mode switches to Keypad Locked

under security settings you should be able to adjust the length of time that it takes to lock the keypad -

it's a security feature so that if by chance you leave it laying around somewhere and lose it or someone else picks it up they can't access all of your personal/corporate emails, private information, or send anything from it

In Options, Security Options, General Settings there is a "Security Timeout" setting that ranges from 1 min to 1 Hour. Is this what you are referring to? Keypad lock hardly seems to be a security measure, as all you have to do is press * and {Answer} and your keypad is back in business. There is nothing in that which prevents someone from accessing your information...

yes, that is exactly what the security timeout is for - you set a password and then people can't access your information

notice the word "security" in security timeout

go to options>Security>general settings>password>change password

then if someone types the wrong password ten times it wipes the device to protect your information

We're getting a little away from my problem. I never get prompted for a password. I don't have a password set. Password is not my question. I appreciate your help regards passwords and protection, but my question is about KEYPAD LOCKED. Keypad locked is a mechanism which shuts down the functionality of most keys to prevent pressing by mistake. Why is my device locking the keypad on its own?

look under the security features and see what the time is for the keypad lock - i think you can disable it

I don't have a setting for keypad lock in security features. Where did you see it?

jongann no está en línea Stack level 1

Standby mode and key lock.
    When you answer the phone in standby mode -- yes the defaul is to lock the keypad. When you take it out of standby mode, the keypad lock releases automatically.

Automatic locking keypad.
    If you do not use a holster, this is not the default. If you use a BB holster, the default is to lock the keypad. If you are on an enterprise solution, your system admin may choose the default to lock the keypad when not in use. If you want to change the settings, go to OPTIONS-->SECURITY OPTIONS-->GENERAL SETTINGS

I am on a BES - will check with my admin to see if there is a default. I checked in GENERAL SETTINGS and "Lock Handheld Upon Holstering" is set to NO. Another piece of info. I changed the SECURITY TIMEOUT setting to 1 hour. The keypad hasn't gone into lock yet, so this setting apparently plays into the keypad lock time. I wonder - since I don't have a password (Disabled) if it feels obligated to do something at the Security Timeout event and hence locks the keypad...

Mhaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by cfiet
    In Options, Security Options, General Settings there is a "Security Timeout" setting that ranges from 1 min to 1 Hour. Is this what you are referring to? Keypad lock hardly seems to be a security measure, as all you have to do is press * and {Answer} and your keypad is back in business. There is nothing in that which prevents someone from accessing your information...
    There has got to be a way to disable this... this setting will awaken the Pearl from Standby and switch it to keypad lock - thereby enabling pocket 911 calls!

rivviepop no está en línea Stack level 2

(decloaking from lurk mode)

Darnit, I *want* this feature! (automatic keylock) When I look under the aforementioned Security general settings, I don't see the option/field/ability as listed in jongann's reply. The only thing close is "Lock Handheld Upon Holstering".

It must be a firmware specific thing...

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Quote Originally Posted by cfiet
    I put my Pearl into "standby mode" regularly. But when I press mute again to bring it out it is in "keypad is locked" mode. Also, when I leave the device laying around for a while it switches to keypad locked. What is causing this? Do I have a security setting somewhere which defaults the device to keypad lock? Anyone else experiencing this?
    For the standby mode and keypad lock u need to be using the latest .64 OS version. Anything lower than that will have this issue.

Mhaddy no está en línea Stack level 2

How do I get the .64 OS? I'm on .51 currently, the latest from Rogers.