Does anyone have a suggestion as to what chemicals are needed to clean a stained ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

8lackPearl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DECF97

Stained trackball cleaner

Advertisement

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what chemicals are needed to clean a stained trackball? I've tried hot water & soap, bleach, alcohol, and nail polish remover. Nothing seems to work. Please help.

Oh yea, by trackball was stained pink from a valentine day BB case from T-Mobile that was lined with a magenta color fabric.

r2d2 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ED8B14

Re: Stained trackball cleaner

are you sure you dont have colour pearl enabled and its just the pink light? hehe

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

wow...that's a new one.

i would have told you to try everything you already have...especially the nail polish remover. what a bummer of course, unless you like pink ;-P

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4

maybe try soaking it in an oxy solution? but, if bleach didn't work..

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by 8lackPearl
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what chemicals are needed to clean a stained trackball?
    I have a solution. I have used it on the TrackBall of my Pearl, my 8800, and on my 8300.

This method only works if you have a lot of patience because it takes awhile, but works every time for me. Go to the hardware store and buy a gallon of de-natured alcohol. It's very inexpensive and will not harm any plastics or eletronics. You will also need a fresh new pkg of microfiber cloths like they sell at the auto parts stores for waxing your car.

Soak the cloth in the de-natured alcohol, and wring it out just a bit. Then hold the BB with the trackball facing down and the back of the device facing up. This way it will not run down into the trackball socket. Some will get in there as it's not a problem, you just want to avoid it running down inside.

Rub the trackball with this dampened cloth. Rotate the ball with the cloth and use a scrubbing motion with medium to light pressure. I had a bad stain on my Pearl (my wife used it and got lipstick on it) and that stain required about 45 minutes of non stop scrubbing. At first it looks as though nothing is happening. Avoid being discouraged as it takes awhile. Then suddenly you will see it rubbing off onto the cloth. You may need to re-wet the cloth, but just keep after it, and it will clean it as good as new.

I had slipped and got permanent market ink on my 8800, used the same method. Just when I thought nothing was happening after about 45 minutes slowly but surely it came off.

So, needless to say, you must plan time to do this as it's not quick and easy, but it does work perfectly and results are well worth it. Now I clean mine once a week and it keeps the buildup down and the ball not only looking good but rolling smoothly as well.

By the way I use this method on the body of the BB as well and it keeps it looking like new.

Cheers...

hastafford no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245E5E02

Quote Originally Posted by 8lackPearl
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what chemicals are needed to clean a stained trackball? I've tried hot water & soap, bleach, alcohol, and nail polish remover. Nothing seems to work. Please help.

Oh yea, by trackball was stained pink from a valentine day BB case from T-Mobile that was lined with a magenta color fabric.
    I got the same case for my Pearl when I bought it. Turned the darn trackball pink as well. I called T-Mobile and had them replace my Pearl. According to them, it was a "known" issue. I got rid of the case and bought a Krusell case when I got my replacement Pearl.

Daiikun no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242A31A6

Thanks for the advice Archer. I use my phone all the time and if I see there's a problem, I'll keep your suggestion in mind!

jlancaster00 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b26f82

I would call them up if it's an authorized TMO accessory

8lackPearl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DECF97

Thank you everyone for the advice!

zippys no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID