Is there a display or a special way to spell by name. What I mean ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ddmaxx007 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24243e18

Spell By Name Challenge

Advertisement

Is there a display or a special way to spell by name. What I mean is lets say you call a company and the options are to either dial someones extension (not a prob) or if you know their name enter the first 3 to 5 beginning letters. how can you know the letters when the Pearl letters on the keypad are not the same as a convential telephone keypad.

Any advice or options?

Thank You!

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Spell By Name Challenge

welcome to the stacks ddmaxx007,

for the few numbers i use with extensions i make the main ten digit number as as "Work" and the 3 or 4 digit extension as "Work 2". when dialing, both numbers pop up, so I get that quick reminder as to the extension number

if some one has a better way, please share

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

On a full keyboard device, you just hold down the [Alt] key and type the letters you need. They'll actually display in the phone, but dial the correct number.

It should work on reduced keyboard devices (7100, Pearl), but I couldn't get it to do the second letter of a key on the simulator, but I'll bet it can work with a bit of trial and error.

The [Alt] key is the bottom key of the left most column.
    JerryD

rw5579 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala
    On a full keyboard device, you just hold down the [Alt] key and type the letters you need. They'll actually display in the phone, but dial the correct number.

It should work on reduced keyboard devices (7100, Pearl), but I couldn't get it to do the second letter of a key on the simulator, but I'll bet it can work with a bit of trial and error.

The [Alt] key is the bottom key of the left most column.
    cool deal, if i get a chance ill try that

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rw5579
    welcome to the stacks ddmaxx007,

for the few numbers i use with extensions i make the main ten digit number as as "Work" and the 3 or 4 digit extension as "Work 2". when dialing, both numbers pop up, so I get that quick reminder as to the extension number

if some one has a better way, please share
    I just happened on this recently.

In Outlook you can set up phone numbers with fields for Country, Area Code, Phone Number, and Extension. When you do that the number looks like this in Outlook:
    +1 (666) 555-1212 x 666
    When it comes down to the BlackBerry, it looks just like that (even though there are no fields), and when you dial the number it dials the part before the x, waits for the call to connect, then dials the part after the x. It's actually documented here.

When entering the "x", don't forget to hit [Alt] to get X if you enter the number on your BlackBerry (Phone app or Address Book).
    JerryD

PIN/ID
    24243e18

Jdellsala, if you hold the alt key down and quickly double hit the key to get to the second letter it does work (I just tried it and it worked) Thank you for the help!

PIN/ID
    24243e18

Thank You all for the help!!!!

I worried about asking what might be a dumb question, but you all responded great! i appreciate the help!

aswanideep no está en línea Stack level 4

Just try this

hold the alt key down and quickly double hit the key to get to the second letter

it will work