Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i dont know if anyones interested. but i got to spend about 2 hours to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

speed test 8320 wi-fi vs pearl 8130 evdo

Advertisement

i dont know if anyones interested. but i got to spend about 2 hours to control boredom to see the difference between wi-fi curve 8320 and verizon evdo pearl 2 heres the results.

cnet.com full load up
    8320 with wi-fi- 28 seconds.
    8130 evdo- 9 seconds

nytimes.com full load up
    8320 with wi-fi 42 seconds
    8130 evdo 12 seconds

sending 4 pics same size simultaniously to same recipient (email)
    same size
    8320 wifi- sent and recieved 1 minute 57 seconds
    8130 evdo- 15 seconds. (this one blew my mind)

downloading 4 picture attachments same size
    8320 wifi- 2 full minutes.
    8130 evdo- 38 seconds

yes i have a lot of time on my hands lol. i did this all with a stop watch with cache competely cleard and did a soft re-set on both bbs. whats mind blowing to me is that evdo blows away wi-fi. im not a fan of verizon. and my 8320 in on att network. it was interesting to me so i figured id share it with everyone.

lovin2act no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: speed test 8320 wi-fi vs pearl 8130 evdo

Dang, I almost wanna switch back now. Thats pretty amazing
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, some1 said 2 thmslvs "U knw, I really want 2 set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close engh to get the job done".

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

EVDO is one of the main reasons i wont switch to GSM

spike41615 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BD9F4

Try doing this with both bb's using the new opera. The bb browser sucks beyond belief. Its sooo slow no matter what your browsing on. Every single site loads at least 3x faster on opera. I never use the bb opera.

Granted, I hate the painfully slow speeds of tmos network, I would rather have slow speeds then pay for verizons overpriced, over restrictive plans... ever.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

To make the test more definitive and fair, we need to know the spped of the data connection for the wi-fi that you were using (upload and download to see if they are comparable to the EVDO)and was this connection going through a proxy or firewall along the way that would slow it down. Not trying to trivialize your findings, but you are comparing a direct connection to the RIM servers over the EVDO connection (possibly going through a Verizon server along the way), versus a wi-fi connection that is going through a data stream (and possibly through several rerlays and firewalls before arriving at the RIM servers to be handled, which could create quite a huge delay in the data handling, as you were seeing when sending pictures so it sounds like there is some port monitoring or firewall for DOS snooping). I would like to see the ping times for the same two devices and the sites being compared to see if there is actually some extra relaying. Did you try the same test with the Edge versus the EVDO (although the EVDO should excel greatly, this would show a better comparison as they would both be goping directly to the RIM servers with hopefully little relay and we would know how it rates compared to the wi-fi as well)?

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

useless without vid jk

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    To make the test more definitive and fair, we need to know the spped of the data connection for the wi-fi that you were using (upload and download to see if they are comparable to the EVDO)and was this connection going through a proxy or firewall along the way that would slow it down. Not trying to trivialize your findings, but you are comparing a direct connection to the RIM servers over the EVDO connection (possibly going through a Verizon server along the way), versus a wi-fi connection that is going through a data stream (and possibly through several rerlays and firewalls before arriving at the RIM servers to be handled, which could create quite a huge delay in the data handling, as you were seeing when sending pictures so it sounds like there is some port monitoring or firewall for DOS snooping). I would like to see the ping times for the same two devices and the sites being compared to see if there is actually some extra relaying. Did you try the same test with the Edge versus the EVDO (although the EVDO should excel greatly, this would show a better comparison as they would both be goping directly to the RIM servers with hopefully little relay and we would know how it rates compared to the wi-fi as well)?
    I agree with this....
    BB8900 is mine!

rans0m00 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241EFA65

I will admit the wifi on the 8320 is far from impressive...

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by rans0m00 View Post
    I will admit the wifi on the 8320 is far from impressive...
    Not when you really use it for what it was intended for, which was the H@H calling for a stable, reliable, increased signal unlimited calling connection point. I would say that in itself makes the wifi extraordinary. If you would have read my post and then done the traces yourself, you might just find out how fsr from impressive your actual iinternet connection actually is as most providers do not have their own backbone and actually purchase time and badwidth sharing on someone elses backbone, so your skip trace may yield several hops to get to the destination and these all add delays that slow the results. Until someone can prove to me that the wifi is actually the superslow connection everyone is complaining about, I stand behind my words and theories and say it is a revolution for what it was intended to be used for.

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    Although your results are great... I agree with squeakr.

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091

What browser settings are you using with the 8320?
    I just want to know what never to do.
    My 8320 with one bar of pirated wifi loads every page listed in the "test" in less than ten seconds.
    I saw this same test done on BGR and it is in absolutely no friggen way representitive of the speed I see every day on my 8320 using wifi from a house away through brick walls.
    I just don't understand?
    Are you wrapping the 8320 in lead?

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Blakefreak View Post
    What browser settings are you using with the 8320?
    I just want to know what never to do.
    My 8320 with one bar of pirated wifi loads every page listed in the "test" in less than ten seconds.
    I saw this same test done on BGR and it is in absolutely no friggen way representitive of the speed I see every day on my 8320 using wifi from a house away through brick walls.
    I just don't understand?
    Are you wrapping the 8320 in lead?
    agreed.

try these test again as wifi as the default browser, then post

sorry but those results are outta whack

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091

The only way those results are real is if the wireless router is connected to a 9600 baud modem from a comadore 64.

qbangringo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    302C0803

Not to knock the EVDO cause I know EVDO is way fast and all around is better than EDGE, I do have one arguement for the test performed. WHen using wifi on the curve (8320) there is a setting that must be changed in order to achieve faster speeds for browsing and downloading. Also the wifi speeds arent noticed with opera.

When I use the blackberry browser and i go to options>advanced options>browser> default browser configuration is default set to internet browser. If you change that to Wi-Fi browser and go back to the BB browser you will notice a significant change in speeds more like broadband speeds. The only problem with this is when you arent some where that has wifi you must change the setting back to internet browser in order to use bb browser over edge. Opera mini will work even without this change.

So the wifi isnt all that slow! It has never taken me almost two minutes to send a heavy volume of pics via email over wifi. Now on edge thats a different story!

neezy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2442ABB1

Why use wi-fi for internet; it is slower. I use my data plan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast