I haven't been able to find out exactly how the warranty is voided on the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

arni0202 no está en línea Stack level 1

Specific Void Warranty Question

Advertisement

I haven't been able to find out exactly how the warranty is voided on the blackberry pearl 8100.

Everyone says don't take it apart because it voids the warranty! Well I want to know how it voids it?

The way they detect tampering of electronics is usually by putting a warranty sticker across two of the internal components so when you take the device apart the sticker breaks thus voiding the warranty.

I've contact T-mobile and asked how exactly the warranty is voided and the tech wasn't sure(surprise surprise) but she didn't think there were any warranty voiding stickers inside the phone.

So I don't understand how the warranty would be voided? Do these warnings come in light of people who damage the inside of their phones physically when they take it apart? I've always been taught if you're going to take something apart you should make dang well sure that when you put it back together it's like you never even touched it.

So since I'm fully capable of taking apart something as minimal as a cell phone should I be okay considering I've taken apart laptops, desktops and Xbox 360s?

Any feedback would be appreciated thanks!

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: Specific Void Warranty Question

This is from RIM's site. Not sure why but it is part of the warranty terms and agreements. :

Limited Warranty

All BlackBerry® smartphones purchased from Research In Motion (RIM), or an authorized RIM dealer, come with a one (1) year limited warranty.

RIM will replace, refurbish or repair, at its option, your BlackBerry smartphone and/or any of its components — including BlackBerry smartphone, cradle and holster — if it is found to be defective. The limited warranty does not apply to:

1. Reasonable wear and tear of the BlackBerry smartphone, cradle or holster
    2. Scratches or cracks to the LCD screen
    3. Damage caused by accident, misuse, abuse, neglect or misapplication
    4. Defects due to repairs or modifications made to the BlackBerry product by anyone other than RIM or its authorized service representatives

You are more than welcomed to do take apart at your own risk. I think they assume most people don't know how to repair or take apart their phones. So they want a certified technician to do any service or repairs.

If you feel comfortable with doing it, give it a shot. It is really quite easy and I haven't seen any tamper stickers on any BB's. I have seen them on other phones but not BB's.

Cool thanks for the help!

Texas512 no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ so If I take my bb apart its still under warranty?

dasupaman23 no está en línea Stack level 6

~via SUPA BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Technically no, your warranty is void ed once you take it apart. But there is no way to indicate that you have taken apart your phone (unless you damage something in the process). If you decide to take it apart be careful and do it at your own discretion.

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

Quote Originally Posted by Texas512
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ so If I take my bb apart its still under warranty?

item 4 says no, but it would be hard to tell unless you damaged something or broke something off inside

4. Defects due to repairs or modifications made to the BlackBerry product by anyone other than RIM or its authorized service representatives

So basically white glove the disassembly.

Clean surface to work on, latex gloves if you have them, no bending or forcing things apart that could break, no soldering of course, and no harsh chemicals or liquids. Air dusting would be okay and make sure you don't lose any little screws :P