This never happens to me. I thought I was lucky that I have yet had ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

DrSuha no está en línea Stack level 3

Somebody spilled coffee all over my phone...lost forever???

Advertisement

This never happens to me. I thought I was lucky that I have yet had a major incident with my phone. So I was at Starbucks two hours ago and I put my phone down on the table for a nanosecond while I turn my laptop on. All of a sudden some person comes back and spills THEIR coffee all over my phone. Heart stops. I get as much napkin to dry it off. At first when I restarted the phone it wasn't SO bad. The only thing that seemed to not work is the trackball not going where I wanted it to. Then slowly but surely everything else started falling apart like the BB menu icon, the trackball not "clicking"....and now almost everything on the keyboard doesn't work. When I press on any button it will give me a 1 or some random letter. When I want to press on the back button it does the same thing. Even the lock button on the top of the phone doesn't work! Neither does the camera or voice activation button. I finally got my power button working a little bit. I currently have the battery out and hoping maybe some miracle will occur when I put the battery in again.

I know there's no hope for the phone but I need someone to lie and make me feel better. I'm already going through withdrawals. I don't even have a backup phone. Can I keep the phone turned off until I buy a new keyboard from cnn.cn?? When the heck is the Pearl2 or any new Pearl coming out on Tmo?? Sorry for all of the stupid redundant assanine questions but my brain cannot function without my BB.

ETA: I started removing a few keys one by one to see if I can dry it off in case it was still full of water. Those keys were the first row only. Now none of them want to "glue" back in!
    Last edited by DrSuha; 02-14-2008 at 04:39 PM.

RCode no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F0A29

Re: Craaaaaaaap crap CRAP! Somebody spilled coffee all over my phone...lost forever??

Sorry to hear about your crappy luck.

I am not sure if buying a new keyboard will fix it. The electronics of the phone is probably shorted out when it got wet.

I've seen a bunch of Blackberrys hit water, and not many of them make it.

You should have waited for it to dry before you turned it on.
    Try pulling out the battery and letting the phone sit over a heater vent for a few hours tehn give it a try.

Cheers,
    and good luck....
    Maybe ebay will be your friend.
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 02-14-2008 at 06:14 PM. Reason: edited for language.

Re: Craaaaaaaap crap CRAP! Somebody spilled coffee all over my phone...lost forever??

Thank you for the tips. I will do that when I get home since I'm at work right now.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

You can try compressed air to dry it and I hope there was no sugar and creamer in the coffee. Take the battery cover off and blow as much air as you can into it. Sometimes the phones recover ...sometimes they don't. I hope the person who spilled the coffee on it survived! Lol sorry~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Will waiting a few hours to do this hinder my chances of it being recovered? And I know there is sugar and cream because my phone still reeks of that smell. The only reason that he survived is due to the fact that I was in such a state of shock that I didn't even go running after him.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

I would turn it off immediately to avoid any shorts, if none have happened. Pull the battery and let it sit in a warm dry area for a few DAYS. A few hours isn't going to cut it. The damage has probably already been done though since you didn't turn it off, but there's still a chance.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks again guys. Just being given instructions is comforting, if that makes any sense LOL. I will do all of that and see what happens. In the meantime I'm going to try to see what kind of deal Tmo will give me to get another Pearl.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Whomever spilled that coffee would be chipping in on my new BB first of all! Second, you sould allways turn off ANY electronic product off when it gets wet, & let it dry completely. Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

ricanbrat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    @$km3!!!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i dropped mine in the toilet (don't ask lol)and it did the same thing wit the keys,I'd press one button and da wrong letters/numbers. I pulled da battery,sim card,memory card out and used a blowdryer 2 dry da phone. I'd blowdry 4 about 10 min. Then let it sit. After a while I'd go back 2 blowdry it. By da end of da nite my phone had been in working order. Wit no problems. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ricanbrat View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i dropped mine in the toilet (don't ask lol)and it did the same thing wit the keys,I'd press one button and da wrong letters/numbers. I pulled da battery,sim card,memory card out and used a blowdryer 2 dry da phone. I'd blowdry 4 about 10 min. Then let it sit. After a while I'd go back 2 blowdry it. By da end of da nite my phone had been in working order. Wit no problems. Good luck
    Wow this really made me feel better.

rdills trust me if my heart didn't stop beating for the first 60 seconds I would have made him pay for my new BB as well.

madetosink no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FC9D3F

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~just a little note to remember...if any kind of liquid is EVER spilt on your phone...take the battery out whether it stayed on or not and give it at least 12 hours to air dry...1 hour if applying heat i.e. Blowdryer...you will do more damage turning it back on or leaving it running than drying it out first...
    Don't feel bad though...just about anyone who has ever owned an electronic device has been in your shoes

Re: Craaaaaaaap crap CRAP! Somebody spilled coffee all over my phone...lost forever???

Hey guys just a quick update. I dried out the phone using a hair dryer for about an hour, kept the battery out for the entire weekend. It somehow worked again! I still have problems with the keys that I took out so I ordered a new keyboard and rollerball from cnn.cn so I'm just waiting for them to come in. Also I notice that when I tether my laptop using my TMO BB modem some keys don't work anymore (like the AS and L buttons) but when I do a battery pullout overnight it's fixed. Here's hoping Everything will be perfect when the stuff arrives. Thanks again to all that replied! Your words of wisdom were really appreciated.