I got my Pearl last January from AT&T. It was refurbished, but it looked and ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ShirleySerious no está en línea Stack level 1

Some long standing issues

Advertisement

I got my Pearl last January from AT&T. It was refurbished, but it looked and operated almost brand new. I've had a couple issues since then that I've been willing to take care of.

-The camera looks like crap. And not just in a "all camera phones take bad pictures" way. I mean the image is horrible. I can't describe it, and I can't post an image here because my phone says "file system full", which is another issue altogether. The best I can describe it as, is the image consists of 3 colors and you can just barely make out what it's supposed to be.

-Calls sound like crap. The phone's help file and this very forum mention a call equalizer, but I can't find it anywhere.

I also want to mention that I recently upgraded to 4.5, but since AT&T is being stubborn about releasing their version, I used the Vodafone UK version instead.

PIN/ID
    3198998E
    I hate to say it but it sounds like AT&T ripped you off. Refurbs are supposed to be like new, minus a scratch or some minor faults. What you're talkin about are major faults, like somebody turned in a crap phone and they have it to you as refurbed. You might want to go back and get another, the OS isn't going to make your phone mess up like what you described.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I called AT&T and told them about the phone and they said to call Blackberry. If that didn't work, AT&T would try to work something out. Blackberry's customer service is horrible. It's pay per incident, FWIW. If not, I guess I'll be stuck with a defective phone until next year.

Anyone know about the equalizer?

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    take it to att and demand a new one .period.
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

PIN/ID
    3198998E
    I'm sorry to hear that Shirley. It sucks that they won't do anything for you.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    camera issue is prolly related to 4.5?

downgrade to 4.2 and see if it helps at all.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    If you got the phone in January....and now are trying to do something about it, you have to deal with it through RIM....call them and they will switch it for you, you should have the warranty still.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

Quote Originally Posted by kingrykku27 View Post
    camera issue is prolly related to 4.5?

downgrade to 4.2 and see if it helps at all.
    The camera's been acting up since I got the phone, before 4.5 came out, so it can't be because of 4.5.

manx driver no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Another example of Ma Bell's lousy customer service -- one of the reasons I switched to TMO, where I have found EXCELLENT cs, and then I went with BB and discovered that their rates also were far cheaper! That's my little commercial for TMO.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by manx driver View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Another example of Ma Bell's lousy customer service -- one of the reasons I switched to TMO, where I have found EXCELLENT cs, and then I went with BB and discovered that their rates also were far cheaper! That's my little commercial for TMO.
    This is NOT an example of AT&T's lousy customer service.
    I'm NOT defending AT&T as I use three carriers: T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T.
    They are ALL the same.

They have thousands of employees, some of which are very helpful, well trained and well intentioned. Then, no different than any other large corporation, they have a few employees that are not helpful, and do not follow the companies policies and procedures properly. This is EXACTLY what happened in this case. Just because one employee, or a couple of them did not do their job properly is no license to condemn the entire company. There is not a single person here who has not made a mistake, or not done their best every minute of every working day at their job. It's not real, it's not possible, we are humans that make mistakes.

That said, what "should have happened" is that once AT&T decided the issue needed to be referred to RIM, they put you on hold, call RIM's hotline, and patch you through in after just a minute or two on hold. It's free, RIM's tech support is fantastic, I know, I've had this very experience myself with AT&T and RIM. In my case RIM decided to authorize AT&T to send me a brand new (not exchange) phone for Free overnight FedEx. And my problem was also with a Refurbished phone.

So, my advice to the OP is to call back, give them your case number (hopefully you got a case number, if not tell them where you left off, and ask for a case number) after you give your case number ask to have the case escalated to the next level of support. You will get a more skilled person, give them a chance to fix it, if they do not they will connect you to RIM, as I outlined.

To All:
    Remember when calling into tech support you may or may not get a very helpful person.

It has NOTHING to do with the carrier... ever.

If that person is not listening to you, and is not taking care of you, simply thank them and hang up.
    Then call right back, you will get someone else and mere odds are in your favor, that the person speaking with you will take care of you. I buy more than four BlackBerrys or phones per year from EVERY carrier I do business with and they are all basically the same. They are good, if you give them a chance, be patient, be polite, be nice and you will get what you want. Remember they deal with ugly nasty people all day long. So when they get a good friendly customer I've found they will go out of their way to help me.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    This is NOT an example of AT&T's lousy customer service.
    I'm NOT defending AT&T as I use three carriers: T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T.
    They are ALL the same.

They have thousands of employees, some of which are very helpful, well trained and well intentioned. Then, no different than any other large corporation, they have a few employees that are not helpful, and do not follow the companies policies and procedures properly. This is EXACTLY what happened in this case. Just because one employee, or a couple of them did not do their job properly is no license to condemn the entire company. There is not a single person here who has not made a mistake, or not done their best every minute of every working day at their job. It's not real, it's not possible, we are humans that make mistakes.

That said, what "should have happened" is that once AT&T decided the issue needed to be referred to RIM, they put you on hold, call RIM's hotline, and patch you through in after just a minute or two on hold. It's free, RIM's tech support is fantastic, I know, I've had this very experience myself with AT&T and RIM. In my case RIM decided to authorize AT&T to send me a brand new (not exchange) phone for Free overnight FedEx. And my problem was also with a Refurbished phone.

So, my advice to the OP is to call back, give them your case number (hopefully you got a case number, if not tell them where you left off, and ask for a case number) after you give your case number ask to have the case escalated to the next level of support. You will get a more skilled person, give them a chance to fix it, if they do not they will connect you to RIM, as I outlined.

To All:
    Remember when calling into tech support you may or may not get a very helpful person.

It has NOTHING to do with the carrier... ever.

If that person is not listening to you, and is not taking care of you, simply thank them and hang up.
    Then call right back, you will get someone else and mere odds are in your favor, that the person speaking with you will take care of you. I buy more than four BlackBerrys or phones per year from EVERY carrier I do business with and they are all basically the same. They are good, if you give them a chance, be patient, be polite, be nice and you will get what you want. Remember they deal with ugly nasty people all day long. So when they get a good friendly customer I've found they will go out of their way to help me.

Cheers...
    Either you found a different number or you talked to a non-retarded CS rep, because I called tonight and got the same answer as before. Blackberry wanted me to pay for customer support. Not happening. The warranty expired 2 months ago and AT&T was trying to push a new phone on me. I told them I've been calling AT&T since I found out I had a camera issue, but they were no help then and are still no help at all. Maybe because you buy 4 BB's a year, they give you some kind of break.

They did not give me a case number. I was told the refurbished warranty was shorter than the new warranty because refurbished phones are "not as good" (her words, not mine.)

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Well, sorry to say it but it sounds like you just got the short end...and really...since january??? Why not walk into ATT and demand a new phone 10 months ago?
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirleySerious View Post
    Either you found a different number or you talked to a non-retarded CS rep, because I called tonight and got the same answer as before. Blackberry wanted me to pay for customer support. Not happening. The warranty expired 2 months ago and AT&T was trying to push a new phone on me. I told them I've been calling AT&T since I found out I had a camera issue, but they were no help then and are still no help at all. Maybe because you buy 4 BB's a year, they give you some kind of break.

They did not give me a case number. I was told the refurbished warranty was shorter than the new warranty because refurbished phones are "not as good" (her words, not mine.)
    It is your responsibility as a customer to work within your contractual agreement with AT&T (or any carrier) if you are presently out of warranty they do not owe you anything. I know that's obvious, but I just thought I would make that clear. Any issues that arise other than damage or abuse must be dealt with during the first 30 days preferably. After that if issues arise and you are still within warranty you have recourse. However if you are clearly out of warranty, then you are on your own. I know you are frustrated but I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have many friends on AT&T who are NOT phone enthusiasts like myself. They have only one line and one phone, and do not replace theirs until the are entitled to an upgrade which for AT&T is 18 months. They are all very happy with AT&T.

At this point, it seems as though you have only one choice. Let this go. Put it behind you. Pick a new carrier if you are that convinced it's AT&T, and move forward.

Good Luck To You

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    It is your responsibility as a customer to work within your contractual agreement with AT&T (or any carrier) if you are presently out of warranty they do not owe you anything. I know that's obvious, but I just thought I would make that clear. Any issues that arise other than damage or abuse must be dealt with during the first 30 days preferably. After that if issues arise and you are still within warranty you have recourse. However if you are clearly out of warranty, then you are on your own. I know you are frustrated but I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have many friends on AT&T who are NOT phone enthusiasts like myself. They have only one line and one phone, and do not replace theirs until the are entitled to an upgrade which for AT&T is 18 months. They are all very happy with AT&T.

At this point, it seems as though you have only one choice. Let this go. Put it behind you. Pick a new carrier if you are that convinced it's AT&T, and move forward.

Good Luck To You
    They're such a pain to deal with, since I've been trying to reach them since January. They kept putting me on hold and transferred me from one department to another (you know how bureaucracy is). This went on for months until I just said f*ck it. I thought about switching, because T-Mobile's prices look pretty good, but AT&T is the only reliable carrier around here. All my friends with T-Mobile can't get a signal anywhere.