Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 60 of 60

Originally Posted by archer6 To get this version OTA enter this URL into your BB ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #46
    galavanter's Avatar
    galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    113

    Advertisement



    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post

    To get this version OTA enter this URL into your BB Browser

    http://mini.opera.com

    It will detect your BB and download the appropriate version. I was very impressed as a dialog box came up saying "download to your BB 9000" (OK).
    Actually it won't detect the 8220 as of this writing, but it will suggest downloading a version which appears to work fine. I can understand you assuming it would because it did so for your Bold.

    I incorrectly assumed the Flip would be at least as fast in operation as my year old Curve. Speed of operation is a core requirement for me, and woe to the computer maker or phone (tiny computer) maker who presents a new model which is slower than the last. Had I considered the processor speed, and not assumed, I would have known that Wirth's law would be applicable in this case. I wish Rim had considered Moore's law.

    I find it amusing that you are reluctant to point out the negatives in the Flip , and in this thread alone use a host of euphemisms for "stupid" towards those who do. You "highly endorse" the Flip, while I recommend it with reservations. Sometimes you just gotta put down the pompoms and realize the home team isn't infallible.

    I have been praising BB's to my coworkers, and just yesterday one of them said he was considering a Curve, and that his wife wanted the Flip. My advice to him, as I handed him my Flip to fondle, was to wait for the new Curve (those claiming to be in the know say it will be released next month at Tmo, and according to you yesterday at ATT).

    I also didn't hesitate to show him the lag in the Flip. After all, he is a friend. It wasn't hard to do, the stopwatch (new hourglass) popped up briefly as I merely clicked on "Manage Connections". I just couldn't give such an unqualified endorsement of the Flip (as you) when in all likelihood his wife's current phone can make a phone call faster. The mention in this thread about a lag in typing is no doubt also a result of the Flip's outdated processor.

    You also say above that (my) comparing one BB model to another (I own both) is unreasonable.
    Yet while literally counting down by the hour the 8900's imminent release from ATT on the other thread you say, "I predict the 8900 to be the best of the newly released models, Bold, Storm, and Pearl Flip". Geez.

    I really like my Flip. I choose to use it over every other phone available. Largest damn keys of any BB in existence! Why has no one commented on the macho sound it makes when you snap it closed? I do hope the next iteration has the fastest processor in town, an autofocus camera like the 8900, and 3g to boot.
    Last edited by galavanter; 12-24-2008 at 12:31 AM.

  2. #47
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164
    i guess i just don't get the 'processor speed part' ... but to each his own most salivate at the talk of 3g or wifi speeds, while me, i just want my profiles to work again i must be a simple person

  3. #48
    galavanter's Avatar
    galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    i guess i just don't get the 'processor speed part' ... but to each his own most salivate at the talk of 3g or wifi speeds, while me, i just want my profiles to work again i must be a simple person
    I was referring to your post when I mentioned the lag in typing. You said you wished SureType was faster, but a slow processor (teamed with the newer more complicated OS) would be the more likely culprit.

  4. #49
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I was referring to your post when I mentioned the lag in typing. You said you wished SureType was faster, but a slow processor (teamed with the newer more complicated OS) would be the more likely culprit.
    ahh well that makes sense then it just can't keep up with my typing.

    you are right, there are definately pros and cons to this little bb, but it MOST definately doesn't deserve a bad rap bc of the cons its more or less what is your tolerance level and what do you use it mostly for .. me, emails and staying connected. i barely use the browser so i don't notice that stuff much.

  5. #50
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Actually it won't detect the 8220 as of this writing, but it will suggest downloading a version which appears to work fine. I can understand you assuming it would because it did so for your Bold.

    I incorrectly assumed the Flip would be at least as fast in operation as my year old Curve. Speed of operation is a core requirement for me, and woe to the computer maker or phone (tiny computer) maker who presents a new model which is slower than the last. Had I considered the processor speed, and not assumed, I would have known that Wirth's law would be applicable in this case. I wish Rim had considered Moore's law.

    I find it amusing that you are reluctant to point out the negatives in the Flip , and in this thread alone use a host of euphemisms for "stupid" towards those who do. You "highly endorse" the Flip, while I recommend it with reservations. Sometimes you just gotta put down the pompoms and realize the home team isn't infallible.

    I have been praising BB's to my coworkers, and just yesterday one of them said he was considering a Curve, and that his wife wanted the Flip. My advice to him, as I handed him my Flip to fondle, was to wait for the new Curve (those claiming to be in the know say it will be released next month at Tmo, and according to you yesterday at ATT).

    I also didn't hesitate to show him the lag in the Flip. After all, he is a friend. It wasn't hard to do, the stopwatch (new hourglass) popped up briefly as I merely clicked on "Manage Connections". I just couldn't give such an unqualified endorsement of the Flip (as you) when in all likelihood his wife's current phone can make a phone call faster. The mention in this thread about a lag in typing is no doubt also a result of the Flip's outdated processor.

    You also say above that (my) comparing one BB model to another (I own both) is unreasonable.
    Yet while literally counting down by the hour the 8900's imminent release from ATT on the other thread you say, "I predict the 8900 to be the best of the newly released models, Bold, Storm, and Pearl Flip". Geez.

    I really like my Flip. I choose to use it over every other phone available. Largest damn keys of any BB in existence! Why has no one commented on the macho sound it makes when you snap it closed? I do hope the next iteration has the fastest processor in town, an autofocus camera like the 8900, and 3g to boot.
    There is a complete misunderstanding of my post. When I evaluate any BlackBerry I do so after studying the specs so I may perform a proper review. The so called "lag" you point out is the appropriate response time for the processor used in the 8220. It is not a fault, and cannot be compared to a BlackBerry with a faster processor & more resources. There is no logic to your argument.

    If I was to use your logic when comparing a Honda Civic to a Honda Accord and I called the Civic slow that would be wrong as it's supposed to be slower, it has less horsepower. It's in a different class.

    I do understand however if you have not read the specs and do not understand what the 8220 is designed for. To assume as you are doing is, well..... You know.

    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry Bold

  6. #51
    galavanter's Avatar
    galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Cheers
    What I tell you about the pompoms?

  7. #52
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312
    Not sure I understand "entry Level" BB. The flip is a full BB model with full features and in fact, has 4.6 OS unlike the Curve. Only the Flip, Bold, and Storm have anything past 4.5. So whats the issue? That it's small? Well in this case size does not seem to matter. Its processor isnt up there with the Bold but I would put the flip against the performance of the Curve any day. Plus it Has UMA/Wifi calling..something the Bold does not tout!

  8. #53
    SCHECTERMANNER's Avatar
    SCHECTERMANNER no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    PIN/ID
    210d47bb
    Posts
    1

    haha

    Yup flip=newbie phone

  9. #54
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312
    bah humm bug!

  10. #55
    Sirthinks's Avatar
    Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoats View Post
    I agree that this flip berry is meant to be a launching pad for RIM to attract new customers just like the Storm is but in my book, a person who uses those two are not serious BB users.

    Now I'd start to get ticked off if i saw 13-15 yr olds using BOLDs only because it devalues the seriousness of the device.

    As much as I hate to be using the same phones as these young kids, the popularity gained from this exposure can only help the development of RIM.

    This is a rather elitist remark. How does a teen using a Bold devalue the device?

    Of my four kids, one is using a cheap throw away pay as you go samsung. One is using a Pearl Flip. One has an 8900 and the other has a Bold. Only one isn't a teen. She is a practising attorney. She uses the Pearl Flip. The breakdown for the rest is as follows:

    19 year old in university - She uses a Curve 8900
    17 year old in Last year of high school, three college courses, and working for a publishing house - she uses the BOLD.... 15 year old son, into basketball, hockey, football and girls.... - He uses the cheap throwaway as device capability isn't one of his priorities.

    It is a shame that these kids are devaluing the devices. Except my oldest... She is devaluing herself by using an entry level device.... <----- Tongue in cheek, of course.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

  11. #56
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164
    well said sir! as for schectermanner, you used your first post for that?

    guess im not a serious bb user maybe its bc i look like a teenager?

  12. #57
    spudgunnerwryyy's Avatar
    spudgunnerwryyy no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    52
    Ok, I think this whole profiling young people (15-18) as non serious users can use some editing. I am 16 and use my BOLD in many of the same serious ways older users do. Plus I worked to pay for it, thus I admit that my friend was given a bold and all she does is text... it is a huge annoyance considering how powerful the device is.

  13. #58
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312
    Well Said "SIRTHINKS"

  14. #59
    zantopad's Avatar
    zantopad no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    157
    Thank you Sirthinks, I upgraded from a curve to the flip, and I couldn't be happier! (used primarily for email, staying connected (Viigo, Facebook, etc) and some light browsing, mainly on the stacks!) But having the full blackberry capabilities in a small flip form factor is amazing, especially considering we get the largest keys ever as an added bonus!

  15. #60
    MleB's Avatar
    MleB no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5
    Well, I'm a 'beginner' BB user (though hardly a neophyte to smartphones, cell phones, PDAs or netbooks) and I chose the Flip over the alternative models because of -

    1. Size. Firstly, I prefer flip phones - protecting keyboards and screen - and the ability to carry them around in, say, a jean's a back pocket rather than a geeky holster.
    2. Keyboard. I like the flat black keyboard (especially in bright light situations) over the sometimes glossy finish of many of the alternatives. And while I am hardly 'big-thumbed', I prefer the larger keys to the chicklets of the Curve or microscopic keys of the other Pearls. Granted, I'm still getting used to SureType (and that was one bit of the Flip I wasn't sure about) but I have hopes...
    3. The capabilities. As noted in earlier postings, the Flip includes an OS and functionality not found in some other BBs. If was going to move to BB, I thought getting the more recent, more capable device seemed a reasonable thing to do. Meanwhile, my intent for the Flip was to use it as as a phone, for email and, to a lesser degree, a multimedia-capable PDA. While I expect I may do some wifi-enabled net browsing (I didn't get a data plan), its not foremost in my mind, so the screen size is not an issue.

    I don't think I got the 'beginner' or 'cheap' BB (in fact, I could have got a Curve 8320 for the same price from my service provider), but in fact, a truly business-like - and pocketable - device that will serve this grownup well indeed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •