Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60

I'm not to sure why the FLIP gets categorized as "tween" etc. etc. Doesn't it ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #31
    HolidayDre's Avatar
    HolidayDre no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    73

    Advertisement



    I'm not to sure why the FLIP gets categorized as "tween" etc. etc. Doesn't it have the same abilities as most other BB? E-mail, internet, BBM etc. etc.?

  2. #32
    jonnyxedge's Avatar
    jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    Posts
    3,945
    the blackberry device has went consumer since the pearl so there have been a lot of improvements.

    the main target of the 8220 are for people who need a smart phone but keeps putting it off because it may be a little intimidating. with the flip launching it brings the comfort of cosumers having a flip device but with all the power of a normal blackberry. I would even dare to say it is one of the most powerful berry devices in the market. even with the bold (minus a few features) and a step below the storm (because of a few features). Its a revolutionary device. it would actually (and i use this loosely) be considered a gateway drug (ie most blackberry users are called crackberry addicts) it's a very powerful device used to keep current addicts and to bring in new addicts, then they make transitions to devices like the curve, javelin, bold, storm, and whatever other device is on the horizon
    The BlackBerry Guru

    [x] My Minds Eye - Life Behind The Lens Of A BlackBerry
    [x] Pinstack Blog
    [x] Twitter

  3. #33
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    I got my hands on an 8220 today for a few minutes and I must say that I will be upgrading early (as early as next May) to this. It felt easy to hold and navigate. I almost forked out my credit card for it but I will wait.


  4. #34
    galavanter's Avatar
    galavanter no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    113
    I've had mine for more than a month now and like it a lot. The only thing that makes it "entry level" for me is the processor speed. It lags more than my Curve, and that is a disappointment. I am running .174 at the moment and will upgrade to another OS soon. I hope that the reports of less lag are true, but a software tweak is only going to go so far to speed things up.

    I find the Flip to be a very elegant looking phone, and the OS, other than the new browser, is pretty sweet too. But Rim decided for whatever reason to put the same processor inside as the original Curve, yet it has to power a more advanced, and presumably power hungry OS.

    I hope they sell a lot of these and at some point choose to put a faster processor inside. I suppose some will say this was marketed to first time BB users, but the phone is slow compared to other comparable brands. Just dialing a number can cause it to lag.

  5. #35
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    I own every BlackBerry model available from 2006, until the present, including the 8220. I will say in no uncertain terms that this is _not_ an entry level BlackBerry.

    Why some people decided to label it as such, is simply a reflection of their lack of knowledge, and a negative judgmental attitude. Where some phones are highly praised because the are light weight, this phone has been called light and cheap. To which I say hogwash. This phone weighs the exact same amount as a RAZR2 V9 which is not categorized as "entry level". Nor is it criticized because it's light. Many of these same people do not even own the phone, they've only looked at a very well beat up, nearly destroyed demo or dummy in the local T-Mobile store.

    I bought mine, took it home, charged it and have been enjoying it. A long time user of SureType I know that each new generation of BlackBerry that incorporates this input method benefits from upgrades and improvements to the software. I find that I can compose a rather lengthy email as fast as I can on a qwerty equipped BB. And with fewer typos, as I tend to go very fast no matter what type of keyboard I'm using.

    I highly endorse the 8220 Flip. It's well made, it has a lot of great features, has a terrific keyboard and in my mind there are no downsides. To compare this to another model is unreasonable as all BlackBerry models should stand on their own. That is the beauty of the BlackBerry platform is unlike the iPhone or others where there is only one choice of handset, with RIM we have a variety of sizes and shapes of handsets. Therefore there is a BlackBerry for everyone.

    Finally the real key to success is to decide just exactly what you want in a BlackBerry and purchase the right model. This is where many people fall short. The do not give it enough thought, buy the wrong model for them, and then complain about what they bought.

    Personally I really enjoy the Flip and find it a very refreshing and different model.

    Cheers


  6. #36
    walds11's Avatar
    walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    518
    No downsides Archer? What about the POS browser?

  7. #37
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    No downsides Archer? What about the POS browser?
    If that was unique to the 8220 then it would be a shortcoming. But it is not.

    It's the "new" BlackBerry browser that is part of the OS on every new BB.

    So it is what it is... a disappointing browser. However that said, there is no perfect smartphone. Everything is a compromise and unfortunately we have to live with this or go backwards to the older 81xx, 83xx, or 88xx devices.

    As much browsing as I do, I greatly prefer the old wap browser, however that said, there are far too many good features of the new OS, so I must simply accept the browser for what it is and I have made the decision to do just that.

    My 8310 is now nicely displayed in my BlackBerry Museum....


  8. #38
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I disagree with anyone who says any phone is designated for a certain age or gender for the following reasons:

    I was 24 (definitely not a teenager) when I got my original Color SideKick and 26 when I got my 7730.

    The SideKick is still very popular in a demographical group who otherwise would not have access to a phone to begin with: The Deaf/Hard Of Hearing community. This same thing can be said about the BlackBerry. This trend is slowly changing as I know some Deaf people who prefer the BlackBerry over the SideKick (I'm hearing...I just happen to know some Deaf people and their preferences for mobile communication without being tied to a PC or TTY/TTD). This is due to the fact that these phones, along with WM and Palm, can be used on a data ONLY plan (no voice needed since they're unable to hear).

    Now on to those who think the Pearl is only for females and teens: I see males and older adults using Pearls everyday (I just turned 30 and I have an 8100, 8120 and my next phone will most likely be the 8220, see below).

    Finally, the 8220: I THINK I saw an adult using the 8220 about a week ago in the mall. This will be my next upgrade if I can get it early.

    If anyone disagrees with me, that's fine. I just wanted to state my idea on the situation as I have used a LOT of phones over the years.
    Needed to make a few edits to the original post.


  9. #39
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Additional thoughts on the browser issue.

    My main complaint is due to the fact I enjoy posting on the PinStack forums and the fonts displayed by the new browser are very tiny. I have perfect 20/20 vision so I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be to others who don't. That said, on most all other regular websites the browser is actually quite good. Even on the home page of PinStack the font size is very easy to read, it's not until one drills down to the thread level that it gets bad.

    Now for a recent development, I had forgotten about the option to load Opera Mini until yesterday. Upon installing it, the font size at the forum thread level is very good, therefore this provides a solution to the problem. And in retrospect it's no different than having the two browsers I have on my laptop. Firefox and IE. I use Firefox exclusively and yet IE is needed once in a great while for sites that are IE friendly only.

    Thus I will be learning my way around Opera Mini, so as to maximize my skill and comfort level. Problem solved.

    Cheers


  10. #40
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164
    i haven't used opera in over a year. maybe i'll install it and try it out. i have learned to live with the browser short comings in the past few months. even tried to go back to the curve, but this bb is just too darn cool. luckily, most of my time is spent in front of the PC so my need for the browser to perform like it used to isn't so important anymore.

  11. #41
    EricaJ1073's Avatar
    EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,420
    LOL Cherri. Can't put the Flip down?


  12. #42
    walds11's Avatar
    walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    518
    Archer, will Opera Mini solve the scrolling side to side issue?

  13. #43
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    i haven't used opera in over a year.
    I too had not used it for about a year. The newest version is greatly improved. It was released on Nov 11th 2008, and is designed to interface with the new BB OS.

    To get this version OTA enter this URL into your BB Browser

    http://mini.opera.com

    It will detect your BB and download the appropriate version. I was very impressed as a dialog box came up saying "download to your BB 9000" (OK).

    The download is very fast and the new functionality is fantastic.


  14. #44
    cherrichiodo's Avatar
    cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    Posts
    17,164
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    LOL Cherri. Can't put the Flip down?
    i can't! there is just something about it i love the keys. as i have said in another post, i just wish suretype was faster i have it set to fast and it still takes a second or two to catch up with me

    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I too had not used it for about a year. The newest version is greatly improved. It was released on Nov 11th 2008, and is designed to interface with the new BB OS.

    To get this version OTA enter this URL into your BB Browser

    http://mini.opera.com

    It will detect your BB and download the appropriate version. I was very impressed as a dialog box came up saying "download to your BB 9000" (OK).

    The download is very fast and the new functionality is fantastic.
    thanks leonard, maybe this will give me a new reason to love the flip even more

  15. #45
    archer6's Avatar
    archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo View Post
    i can't! there is just something about it i love the keys.
    Oh yeah, the keys are half the reason I bought my Flip!

    I really loved my 7130 as it had larger keys and SureType.

    Even though I have the 8110 Pearl, the keys are just too small for me. So when I saw the keyboard on the 8220 I was sold. Plus I really enjoy the Flip form factor, the cool clock on the front and well... everything about it, is just terrific!


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •