Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi! I am looking for solutions for dealing with unwanted calls/voicemails. I get *slammed* with ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

TwoFingerTap no está en línea Stack level 1

Solutions for dealing with unwanted calls/voicemails?

Advertisement

Hi!

I am looking for solutions for dealing with unwanted calls/voicemails. I get *slammed* with unwanted calls on a daily basis and I am wondering what I can do about it. Some calls just force me to see who it is and then hit ignore and some calls actually leave me these cheesy pre-recorded voicemails. Which means I find myself constantly addressing/ignoring incoming calls, missed call reminders, voicemail waiting reminders AND I have to go in and delete the voicemails. It can be frustrating. The unwanted call volume has been snowballing for the past few years, and is now occuring randomly 1 to 5 times a day (all hours).

I've looked into call barring (hidden id's and specific numbers) and I was told it is not available for TMobile. That would be ideal. The idea of those autodialing rats receiving dead air when they dial my number would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've also been wondering about completely shutting down voicemail? Not many people leave me voicemails anyway, and I could explain to the few that do. -- I've looked into doing this on the Pearl and it seems like it should be simple using the Call Forwarding option in the Phone Options menu. But when I change "If Busy", "If No Answer" and "If Unreachable" to "Do Not Forward", it appears to accept the changes but then it defaults right back to the voicemail number. (Grr, TMobile!) Putting in invalid numbers yields an error message. Obviously I could use a real number (hmm, TMobile's customer service?).

I guess I'm basically just wondering if anyone else out there has the same annoyances and myself, and how you manage it? I frankly use my BlackBerry 5% as a phone and 95% as an SMS/email/web/software tool. If a software app existed that would put through the few important calls that I need and send the rest to dead air, I would be a happy, happy man.

Any thoughts? :-)

etrackp no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Solutions for dealing with unwanted calls/voicemails?

are these typically telemarketers??? if so put your number on the national do not call list. www donotcall gov (replace spaces with .'s - Im not level 2 yet, lol) ive done this with all my phone numbers and has seemed to help, and if they do call, answer the phone get their name and company name. as well as their supervisors name and reprort them, im sure they wont call back after that. good luck

racker no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask

If the do not call list doesnt help - how about changing your number?

FusionTactik no está en línea Stack level 2

you should look into blockberry. its an app that you can block unwanted calls i guess at handango.com i wrote a thread earlier and pinstackers suggested that i get this app. because i was getting calls from this punk that keeps prank calling me under a private number and i was gonna get it until he got my message that i will find him once my bill prints out and go to the cops get his number and address and then send him to the hospital myself if he didnt stop. its like $20 bucks you should look into it.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by FusionTactik
    you should look into blockberry. its an app that you can block unwanted calls i guess at handango.com i wrote a thread earlier and pinstackers suggested that i get this app. because i was getting calls from this punk that keeps prank calling me under a private number and i was gonna get it until he got my message that i will find him once my bill prints out and go to the cops get his number and address and then send him to the hospital myself if he didnt stop. its like $20 bucks you should look into it.
    I heard the app doesn't work to well and is shotty at best.

reynalthomas no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D0DA0

i used to work for tmobile ... call customer care and tell them that "you" are a hearing impared customer and that you use the blackberry mainly for data and that you want them to remove the voicemail feature from your account ... they can do it. you might not even have to lie
    "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -- Albus Dumbledore

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

You don't have to be hearing impaired. I used to use BB Data only (voice barred) and I can hear perfectly.

reynalthomas no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D0DA0

yeah thats entirely true ... i just said that cause when i was a rep cust care always gave me hassle about removing voice mail ... thought it might make it easier for OP
    "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -- Albus Dumbledore

rkkeller no está en línea Stack level 3

I am using a trial version of something called BerryBlocker from handango but all it really does is mute the ringing and pass the call thru to your voicemail. You can add entire area codes, select unknown and things like that.

abaqueen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PMme4it

You use it 5% for phone and want to except a few important calls... What about creating a profile that includes the numbers of the people you want to be able to reach you. That would work if you are going to ditch your vm.
    AngieB
    Pin:PMme4it

satguy22 no está en línea Stack level 1

i have another solution to this issue, when you change the # calls are forwarded to, change it to a number that gives a " i'm sorry the # you are trying to reach is not in service." use someones old cell # and then when u hit ignore not only do you not have to listen to their messages they think the # is disconected. i have used this for a few ex's. only prob is if you dont get to the phone in time or have a call on hold, they go to real vm. give it a try tho.

stakka no está en línea Stack level 2

if its telemarketing, the donotcall list thing might help
    if its a collection agency, then tell them to never call back
    i dont know about other states but i used to work for a collection agency out here in cali
    and if somebody says to not call back, we HAVE to remove that number from out list by law..

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Get a GrandCentral Account and you can filter and screen calls. Pretty cool

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I've never heard that about collection agencies. I'm in Virginia, maybe the law is different, but my understanding is if you have a debt that is in collections, by law they are allowed to use reasonable efforts to contact you to collect. But hey, I've never had to deal with that hassle, so what do I know.

Definitely get your number on the Do Not Call list. In addition, be proactive for a while. Answer the calls for 5-7 days, and as soon as a live body gets on the other end, politely but firmly tell them "this is a mobile number, and I do not accept solicitation calls at this number. Please remove it from your database." They cannot refuse to do so. In some states its illegal for telemarketers to knowingly contact a mobile number, so letting them know will help as much as telling them "do not call".

After about a week, you should see the call volume drop. I am willing to bet that the bulk of your calls are coming from a select few telemarketers. Most of them have autodialer programs that scroll their database, calling numbers that haven't picked up yet. Until you answer, the number stays in the loop. You may get as many as 2-3 calls a day from the same company due to this setup.

Hope that helps.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

stakka no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    I've never heard that about collection agencies. I'm in Virginia, maybe the law is different, but my understanding is if you have a debt that is in collections, by law they are allowed to use reasonable efforts to contact you to collect. But hey, I've never had to deal with that hassle, so what do I know.

Definitely get your number on the Do Not Call list. In addition, be proactive for a while. Answer the calls for 5-7 days, and as soon as a live body gets on the other end, politely but firmly tell them "this is a mobile number, and I do not accept solicitation calls at this number. Please remove it from your database." They cannot refuse to do so. In some states its illegal for telemarketers to knowingly contact a mobile number, so letting them know will help as much as telling them "do not call".

After about a week, you should see the call volume drop. I am willing to bet that the bulk of your calls are coming from a select few telemarketers. Most of them have autodialer programs that scroll their database, calling numbers that haven't picked up yet. Until you answer, the number stays in the loop. You may get as many as 2-3 calls a day from the same company due to this setup.

Hope that helps.
    yeah when i worked in collections we were allowed to use reasonable efforts in order to reach the debtor.. but if either the debtor or a 3rd party tells us verbally to "stop calling this number" we have to remove THAT number, but we can still reach them thru mail, or by finding other possible numbers... but yea, maybe the laws are different out there in the VA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast