Results 1 to 12 of 12

The dead simple way to get Google Maps, News, GMail & Search working on the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

  1. #1
    docgg's Avatar
    docgg no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    Advertisement



    The dead simple way to get Google Maps, News, GMail & Search working on the 8100.

    What is Needed is the "IPPP Service Book"
    It reads: IPPP for 5 Click [IPPP]

    Check Options>Advanced Options>Service Book and see if it's there.

    If not, Delete all Service Books.

    Go to http://mobileemail.vodafone.net and log in with your account details.

    Select the Service Books link and the "Send Service Books"

    Give it 20 minutes and you will get all the books, reboot, and you are good to go.


    I tried the Send Service Books without deleting them all first and it doesnt overwrite whats there.


    It turns out I had actually figured the solution out myself, but it wasn't until I called them that I found out I had got it right.

    Oh, and the TCP APN's are all Blank, so leave them alone.

    All the best,

    docgg
    Helping you See and Be Seen in the Dark:
    GlowGadgets.com, Where Everyone Glows.

  2. #2
    Prioryman's Avatar
    Prioryman no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    PIN/ID
    204E335B
    Posts
    32

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    Google settings are you say are in service books, but do not delete the TCP setting other wise other programs DO NOT work trust me. John PS thanks for the useful number to Vodafone

  3. #3
    docgg's Avatar
    docgg no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    Quote Originally Posted by Prioryman
    Google settings are you say are in service books, but do not delete the TCP setting other wise other programs DO NOT work trust me. John PS thanks for the useful number to Vodafone
    You're welcome John.

    I just read someone saying that you had to change the TCP, mine have always been blank and are still that way. So like you say, leave them well alone.

    I hope this relaxes some furrowed brows out there.
    Helping you See and Be Seen in the Dark:
    GlowGadgets.com, Where Everyone Glows.

  4. #4
    rampal's Avatar
    rampal no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hi, question... I got the google maps working, but I'm trying to use a navman GPS one with the pearl... have tried everything but cannot
    Pair nor recognize it... Do you know if Vodafone block Bluetooth serial capabilities???

    I have the telefonica .79 OS version...
    Last edited by rampal; 12-03-2006 at 03:42 PM.

  5. #5
    jonlondon's Avatar
    jonlondon no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help. I have tried following the instructions from docgg above (also have a Vodafone (UK), 8100 using BIS) but cannot get google mail or maps working.

    I have repeated the process twice to check. The second time I even deleted the apps at the same time as the service books and redownloaded them 20 mins after the new service books arrived.

    I deleted all the service books shown (except for 'provisioning' which wouldn't allow delete). The errors I get are as follows:

    Gmail says error 1 'An unexpected error occurred during program execution. Please try your operation again.' and then error 2 'java.lang.NullPointerException:Cause unknown'.

    Gmaps has the same 'Error: null' message as before.

    I'm not sure if any of the below will help but here a list of the service books as they appear on my BB and other OS info if it helps:

    Platform: 2.2.0.32
    App Version: 4.2.0.51

    Service Books:
    Vodafone Live! [Browser Config]
    BlackBerry HELP! [Browser Config]
    BBFS1 [BBIMConfig]
    BBFS2 [YHO]
    Services - vfuk WAPtrans [WAP]
    Wap Push Config [WAPPushConfig]
    WAP MMS Transport [WAP]
    myname@mobileemail.vodafone.net [CMIME]
    myname@gmail.com [CMIME]
    Provisioning [PROVISIONING]

  6. #6
    kieranb's Avatar
    kieranb no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    Quote Originally Posted by jonlondon
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help. I have tried following the instructions from docgg above (also have a Vodafone (UK), 8100 using BIS) but cannot get google mail or maps working.

    I have repeated the process twice to check. The second time I even deleted the apps at the same time as the service books and redownloaded them 20 mins after the new service books arrived.

    I deleted all the service books shown (except for 'provisioning' which wouldn't allow delete). The errors I get are as follows:

    Gmail says error 1 'An unexpected error occurred during program execution. Please try your operation again.' and then error 2 'java.lang.NullPointerException:Cause unknown'.

    Gmaps has the same 'Error: null' message as before.

    I'm not sure if any of the below will help but here a list of the service books as they appear on my BB and other OS info if it helps:

    Platform: 2.2.0.32
    App Version: 4.2.0.51

    Service Books:
    Vodafone Live! [Browser Config]
    BlackBerry HELP! [Browser Config]
    BBFS1 [BBIMConfig]
    BBFS2 [YHO]
    Services - vfuk WAPtrans [WAP]
    Wap Push Config [WAPPushConfig]
    WAP MMS Transport [WAP]
    myname@mobileemail.vodafone.net [CMIME]
    myname@gmail.com [CMIME]
    Provisioning [PROVISIONING]
    I have exactly the same problem on Vodafone

  7. #7
    merlinc's Avatar
    merlinc no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    I fixed mine by entering the following into the AP settings:

    Host: internet
    Username: webs
    Password : web

    These settings seem to work for Vodafone UK on the 8100, although I found them in a forum and can't find anything on Vodafone's website.

    I didn't bother to redownload the service books.

  8. #8
    Tony Eagle's Avatar
    Tony Eagle no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    Quote Originally Posted by merlinc
    I fixed mine by entering the following into the AP settings:

    Host: internet
    Username: webs
    Password : web

    These settings seem to work for Vodafone UK on the 8100, although I found them in a forum and can't find anything on Vodafone's website.

    I didn't bother to redownload the service books.
    Fantastic

    Thanks very much for that, I was starting to think I was not going to find a solution.

    Cheers mate

  9. #9
    Doughty's Avatar
    Doughty no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    Quote Originally Posted by docgg
    The dead simple way to get Google Maps, News, GMail & Search working on the 8100.

    What is Needed is the "IPPP Service Book"
    It reads: IPPP for 5 Click [IPPP]

    Check Options>Advanced Options>Service Book and see if it's there.

    If not, Delete all Service Books.

    Go to ...snip.... and log in with your account details.

    Select the Service Books link and the "Send Service Books"

    Give it 20 minutes and you will get all the books, reboot, and you are good to go.


    I tried the Send Service Books without deleting them all first and it doesnt overwrite whats there.


    I have also been given a number that takes you directly to Vodafone/Blackberry support who are Very Helpful. Their number is: 08454400134

    It turns out I had actually figured the solution out myself, but it wasn't until I called them that I found out I had got it right.

    Oh, and the TCP APN's are all Blank, so leave them alone.

    All the best,

    docgg
    GOOD SKILLS!!!

    I tried re-sending my service books and it still didn't work (still didn't have the IPPP book)

    I called that number and told the guy my PIN and that I wanted thr IPPP service book and he did it right away and I am now getting BBmaps downloading... !!

    thanks for your help!

  10. #10
    BlueLenin's Avatar
    BlueLenin no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    I have an 8100 with UK Orange. Google maps would not go past loading Terms & Conditions before producing "Unknown Error" and "Quit Application & start again". Orange site, no matter the Google ads seems to have zilcho support. The following worked for me (sorry can't give you an url as Stack rules won't allow me to as a newbie), but go to google/gmm select help center from the top menu links, scroll down to troubleshooting, then select the "I get a Network unavail;able error on my Blackberry. How do I fix this?" Follow both sets of instructions. All is now working well. assuming this is generic info from Google it should work for everybody.

  11. #11
    pprovart's Avatar
    pprovart no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    21

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    Hi,
    I did this and Google Maps and Google Mail now work
    P

  12. #12
    hayden's Avatar
    hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    12,440

    Re: Solution to Google Maps Error on Vodafone Pearl

    As per Vodafone's request:

    The number that docgg published is for Vodafone's Corporate customers and only those who have a contract between their IT helpdesks and Vodafone technical support. This number should not be used by end users or those without a contract as they are not eligible to receive support. My apologies for any confusion or frustration this may cause. The best people to contact for technical support is your service provider.
    If you qualify. Their number is: 08454400134

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •