OK, I've already spent so much time trying to get this all working with my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bfourney no está en línea Stack level 1

Software Compatibility w Vista/Office 2007

Advertisement

OK, I've already spent so much time trying to get this all working with my new laptop. I'm hoping some of the experts here can save me god knows how much time of research/trial and error to answer all of these questions on my own.

Bottom line:

Does BB Desktop work with Vista? Since what version? Are there any tricks to installing/running? Shoud I use the version from RIM's website or T-Mobile's version, or are they the same?
    Does BB Desktop Sync with Office 2007?

Long story:

OK, so my Pearl is having issues and I need to get some files off of it. This means I have to install Blackberry Desktop on my new Laptop and since I'm pretty sure the version that came with the phone a year ago doesn't work with Vista I downloaded v4.2 SP2 from RIM's website. Tried to install it on Vista Ultimate yesterday and I thought I couldn't even get it to install. I tried again however and this time I waited what seemed like an eternity and the installer finally did it's thing. However once the installation was complete I couldn't get it to run.

Today I did a clean install of Vista Business for compatibilty reasons (I hear people are having more issues with Ultimate). I initially didn't notice that the one I originally downloaded had all this Roxio media manager crap so I downloaded and installed the version without Media Manager. Same installation deal, looks like it failed, then starts to install again, stops for awhile, then completes. Same issue running the app as well - launch BB Desktop, the window opens for a split second then disappears, no crash warnings, etc.

I have UAC turned off, and already tried running the app as an Admin, in compatibility mode, etc.

Really hoping someone can help me so I can get my info off my phone!

Thanks,

Bryn
    Last edited by bfourney; 07-31-2007 at 01:54 AM.

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: Software Compatibility w Vista/Office 2007

Hey bfourney,

I recently got a new laptop that has Vista and I finally got it working on it. I did have some issues at first but this is what I personally did to make it work.

I downloaded DM from RIM but I did not go with SP2. I went with the first one. Maybe it was just me but the most recent wouldnt work for the life of me. Try downloading the Software v4.2 SP1 first and then trying to go to SP2 and see if that works.

Delete any version you currently have of DM and then try this method. I am running Vista Home Premium. In regards to Office 2007, I know it works and others have done it I just have not personally. Let me knwow if this helps.
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

bfourney no está en línea Stack level 1

I Finally got this working after several uninstalls/reinstalls. Basically you have to use the default install settings, I think the one that was screwing me up was install for all users/current user set to current user only. It could be that or a couple of other things like leaving it set to auto start.

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

There are some installation types that require UAC to be turned on. And before the complaints start rolling in about Vista. This is for your protection. As an IT pro I find this to be a smart move.

Since there are certain driver installs and whatnot that can still be possibly damaging to your system, Vista still monitors those types. Vista will only allow that install unless there is user authorization from UAC. The flaw in it is that it does not tell you that you need to turn on UAC to complete the installation. Hopefully a notification is added in a future patch of Vista.

So any others that are having this issue, try it and see if that changes anything.