How common is the need to do a SoftReset??? Is the need a result of ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

javagate no está en línea Stack level 2

SoftReset aka Batt Pull ... common ???

Advertisement

How common is the need to do a SoftReset??? Is the need a result of normal use?

Thanks,

swtmango no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22f00895

Re: SoftReset aka Batt Pull ... common ???

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~good morning Java ..I do d battery pull approx 2-3 times a day ..especially after several downloads of any 3rd party apps.how many times are u doing a reset?

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

Quote Originally Posted by swtmango
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~good morning Java ..I do d battery pull approx 2-3 times a day ..especially after several downloads of any 3rd party apps.how many times are u doing a reset?

Man what are you doing to this thing??? Power Cycle, Turing the device on and off once a day , I use Auto On/Off, 4:00 Am to 4:05am and battery pull once a week.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

javagate no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by swtmango
    I did it once when there was an 'ABC' icon stuck over the battery icon. But it did not help, then
    I went into a message and changed the opt to enable suretype and that fixde it. Otherwise
    I have not had to do any manual ones so far that fixed a problem I was having. I hear a lot of people do them I just want to understand what they may have done to cause the need for one.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53

Quote Originally Posted by javagate
    I did it once when there was an 'ABC' icon stuck over the battery icon. But it did not help, then
    I went into a message and changed the opt to enable suretype and that fixde it. Otherwise
    I have not had to do any manual ones so far that fixed a problem I was having. I hear a lot of people do them I just want to understand what they may have done to cause the need for one.

The fix you did for change the Type is the correct fix for the ABC issues. The only time you HAVE to do a batterey pull is if the device is locked up, or responding in some strange manner. With some OSs the loss of a call and the failure to reconnect requires a battery pull. Just normal turning off and on once a day will help in most cases.
    Last edited by pda.teck; 06-24-2007 at 12:32 PM.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Quote Originally Posted by pda.teck
    I use Auto On/Off, 4:00 Am to 4:05am
    Good idea. Hadn't thought of using it like this. However, I didn't think that a Power off/on actually cleared anything in memory, at least it hasn't when I've tested it. What are you achieving by this daily shut down? Again, I like the idea, and will totally steal it if it has a benefit.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I don't think the auto on/off actually clears anything does it? Hmmm....

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I will do a soft reset once a week regardless of functionality issues. Just seems to help with operating smoothly. I do auto on/off midnight/6am M-F not b/c I think it resets anything but just so I can sleep~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

abcomputin no está en línea Stack level 3

I just did a manual power off (not a battery pull). Just before it I had 38,843,012 free, after powering back on and waiting for EDGE, I had 38,542,544 (300,468 less). That's with doing nothing in between. This is with the new 4.2.1.96 (if that matters). Wonder what ate up that 293K.

zeyrah no está en línea Stack level 3

I do a battery pull every 2-3 weeks, just to keep my bb in good running order.... Like an oil change... Well... Not really...
    ~Zey

swtmango no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22f00895

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~meant weeks not day ..my bad..;