Hi Everybody, My name is Jon - i'm from the UK and this is my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

parmaham no está en línea Stack level 1

SMS query

Advertisement

Hi Everybody,

My name is Jon - i'm from the UK and this is my first post.

I own a Blackberry pearl and when i have been receiving SMS messages from named contacts in my address book, instead of the contact name showing in the message list, their entire number including international code is displayed. However, when i send SMS messages to named contacts, the relevant name is displayed in the message list.

This is a minor problem with regards to my memory's inability to recall all the relevant numbers assigned to the names in my address book... I got confused yesterday and spent half an hour finding out who sent me a message.

This has never happened before with any mobile phone (or blackberry) that i've had in the past. I'm sure there must be some type of configuration that i am currently not running so I thought I would ask you guys for some help.

Thanks,

Jon

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: SMS query

parmaham, Welcome to PinStack.

Do you have content protection turned on. If so, this is the cause of the problem you describe. At least it does with phone calls. I don't use SMS, so can't confirm.

If not it probably has to do with the fact that the phone numbers comming in don't match that in your contact. Do the Contact entries have the international code in the Phone entry?

hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thanks for the reply Rcbjr,

As i am fairly new to this stuff, where would i find the option to toggle content protection ??

Also, the numbers in the contacts do not have the international code but i've never had this problem before. I had an old (7100v?? i think) and it didn't have a problem recognising numbers.
    Last edited by parmaham; 10-19-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Are you getting in network SMS? Or are they from 'anywhere'?

I purposely store all my phone numbers as +1403xxxxxxx. That way there is NEVER going to be a mistake.

Try to test it out with a few contacts to put in +44etc. GSM can be picky about that + symbol.

And I know nothing about the content compression either.

Hmm, just edited a number into the international version and hey presto, the name showed up in the messages folder (instead of the number).

This would then suggest that i've got to go through the whole address book and re-edit all my contacts ..

The other Blackberry I had didn't seem to be reliant on the international format.

BTW - I checked the content protection and compression and they're both disabled.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Well, we now know what caused it and how to fix it, but why it changed will have to come from RIM I suppose.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles