A few friends have commented they've sent me a number of extra long (ie longer ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

cheekydani no está en línea Stack level 1

SMS problems - not receiving extra long SMS

Advertisement

A few friends have commented they've sent me a number of extra long (ie longer than one SMS) text messages but I've not received them. I also sent one to a friend and I'm not sure they received mine either, at least they didn't answer and they usually do! Any advice?

sadie84 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: SMS problems - not receiving extra long SMS

Do you have the same networks? I think some of them don't play well together with multi-part SMS.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

when I had an 8100 I could SMS Google for weather with no problem, they reply with 2 or 3 text messages of weather details. Now on my 8130 when I send "weather (zipcode)" I get nothing back at all. I've tried many many times so it wasn't a rare occurrence. Not sure what happened but seems I'm in the same boat you are with not receiving anything if it is concantenated.
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

veronica10 no está en línea Stack level 2

I've experienced the same problem.. I get all of the message from my friend with T-Mobile, but I usually get like, 2 of the 3 messages, or something like that, from my friend with Verizon. It might be like sadie84 said and have to do with the servers, because from what I've experienced that makes sense.

You might be right, though I checked with my network and they said the length of text messages is determined in the phone rather than by the network and there are some settings I should check or something?? Not sure to be honest, they say all sorts of rubbish things so you are probably right!

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3

I could have sworn that the network sets the character limit on SMS. Verizon, for example, limits it to 160 from what I've heard. Now they may change something on the device firmware/OS to reflect this, but I'm pretty sure that the network sets the policy.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

Well that's odd because with my old phone (Palm Treo) I had no problems receiving long texts and I'm still on the same network and same plan. Perhaps it is the sending network which sets the limit, not the receiving??